|10-05-2010 until 11-05-2030|
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Road Warriors Rules, Read here first before posting.
Welcome to Road Warriors! This is where we talk about big road bikes, including cruisers, touring and sport bikes.
Please use Thumpers for all single cylinder gab.
What doesn't fly here?
No personal attacks.
No for sale/wanted ads (they belong in the Flea Market).
No cross posting threads pointing to Flea Market threads.
No vendor posts (they belong in Vendors).
No whining about other websites or webmasters.
No posting of copyrighted material, such as pointers to pirated factory shop manuals, etc. If you ask for or post links to copyrighted manuals -->
Obviously your typical garage language gets a pass, 'cause, well, most of us talk like that. But no obviously provocative, racist, or similarly offensive nonsense makes the cut. When in doubt, picture a room with young/old/male/female gearheads and act like you're speaking out loud enough for all to hear. In other words, show some consideration to others, because no matter who you are, this place ain't all about you.
We want to keep all of our interactions CIVIL.
Don’t disrupt a thread with personal attacks. If you’ve got a beef with the author, discuss it using Private Messaging, or if you must, post it in Jo Momma. We promise you’ll get an impartial reception by 40 thousand very articulate inmates there.
If you see something that doesn't belong, instead of responding in public, simply click on the Report This link in the offending post and we'll handle things from there. In other words, don't feed the trolls.
And let's not forget this one: ALL Mod decisions are final, don't whine about it.
Always remember that this place is the sum total of what ALL OF US make of it. No more, no less. So enjoy!
Furthermore, we have had it with the mocking dickery that happens in certain brand X threads that pop up in RW. Back in the old days when there were a few hundred inmates, taking jabs in jest was part of the fun of being on here, but as we have grown and grown and grown, the little village is now a mega city and we need to keep things under control or else every forum becomes a mini Jo Momma. Bashing and mocking might be fun for those who do it, but it isn't fun for the rest of the inmates who are trying to ask questions and reply to them, or are trying to help solve an issue with an inmate’s bike. We have made some changes in the Road Warriors forum to address this concern as we strive to improve the signal to noise ratio in this forum.
We would like to see brand X (whatever brand it may be, Harley, BMW, Victory, Ducati, etc..) owners or potential owners be able to ask their technical questions without being mocked at every turn. If you have the urge to mock riders for their choice of bike, head to JoMomma and let loose there. The pirate jokes, the snob jokes, the cruiser jokes the squid jokes… take them all to JoMomma.
If you're here to learn, share your knowledge and experience, teach, and demonstrate with pictorial how to's, you are very welcome! If you're here to bash, piss and be a dick, go play in the basement where you will be greeted by 50,000 savvy inmates who'll dish it right back at you and let the fun begin If that's your cuppa tea, Jo Momma's the place to be.
We believe it is possible to have a civil discussion without resorting to name calling and mocking. If you have nothing positive, constructive or informative to add to the discussion, move on. We will take a zero tolerance for asshat comments in the Road Warriors forum. Civility has always been a major guideline in the bike, riding and equipment forums on this site. Let us be clear here, the Mods know bashing, mocking, needless dickery when we see it, we’re not going to spell it out for you. Constructive ideas are welcome, negativity and put downs are not. When in doubt, if you have nothing constructive or positive to add to the conversation, move on.
(Yes, I've said the same thing 3 times already.. are we making ourselves crystal clear? )
Mods and admins have a big bag of tricks at our disposal. We can start with a temporary ban, we could lock you out of Road Warriors so you don't even see it. We could even restrict you to only seeing and posting in Jo Momma, and see how long you'll last there... Or as we like to say in the Mod Lounge, "high maintenance inmates get the boot".
Finally, don’t feed the trolls… use the REPORT THIS link in every post to report the perceived offender and let us deal with it.
Thank you for your attention and cooperation.
GB & the ADV Mod Squad
ADVrider Site Wide Rules:
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
ADVrider was created to support the horizon-chasing adventure motorcycling community. Because of that, we support free-wheeling thinking, great pictures and stories, those who aren't afraid to turn a wrench (and those who have turned them with trepidation), and riders who respect the diversity that makes the planet worth traveling.
With a diverse list of inmates from around the world, there are going to be diverse viewpoints, and thus a need to keep things from spiraling out of control from time to time when the keyboards occasionally get more attention than the bikes. We've created some rules to keep things civil and thoughtful without making the site a bore.
With these things in mind, read on...
Here's how to make your stay here at ADVrider a pleasant one.
1.Respect both forum moderators and administrators. It is a thankless job that they do, and cleaning up other people’s messes is never fun.
2. Post to the forum that is most appropriate for the topic being presented. Each forum has a sticky that explains the purpose and rules. Look at the top of each forum.
3. No cross-posting. (This is posting the same topic in more than one forum) However, there are times when it's okay to do so with the permission of a mod, or if it's explicitly permitted in the rules of a forum.
4. Observe all copyright laws.
5. Lurk before you leap
6. Think before you hit “reply”. Re-read it. Your posts live on forever in search engine servers. Remember that we're all in this together.
7. Answers to common questions can be found in the "Ask Baldy, Blame AceRph" forum, including such classics as "how do I post a pic" and "how do I change my User Name?".
8. If you need help, contact a mod/admin or two or three. You can find the list here. Just find one that's on-duty if you can't get to a particular forum mod.
9. If for some reason your post got moved or you find yourself under the banhammer, go back and read the forum rules. You can always find your recent posts by going to your Control Panel if you don't know where something got moved.
10. If yours is the last post and you want to add more info, consider editing it instead of adding another reply.
11. Don't rip off the ADV logo. There are authorized vendors in the Vendor section if you want to buy stickers, T-shirts, flags, and other goodies.
THE BIG RULES:
These are the site-wide rules. You can count on them to be in place always, no matter what forum you are in. Violation of these rules is grounds for the IMMEDIATE banning of your account. If you think we’re kidding, think again.
1. Harassing, intimidating or threatening other members is a no go.
2. Attacking family members means a quick exit.
3. Threatening a public official means instaban.
4. Private Messages are Private. Post someone's PM and you're gone.
5. Posting private information about someone will get you banned. You may not publish or post other people's private and confidential information—their phone number, where they live, and so on - without their consent.
6. No posting of pornographic or objectionable/inappropriate material.
7. Don't screw with the site. No rickrolls, autoplay videos, malicious code, spammy hijacking, or anything that disrupts the the site's functionality. Animated gifs are okay. If you inadvertently screw the pooch with a post that causes fail, contact a mod.
8. No multiple user ID's. Fake n00bs, aka Multiple User IDs, are, except in exceptional circumstances, merged with the originator. Or both IDs may be banned. Try and sign up as a fake n00b while you are banned, and your temporary time-out might become permanent. If you are trying to change your user name, go to the thread in the Ask Baldy, Blame AceRph forum.
9. No Spam. Selling your own junk is cool but limited to the Flea Market. Selling multiple items of the same product is considered a sale by vendor, so Vendor forum. Soliciting inmates via Private Message is spam. If it's not related to motorcycling, it's spam. If we see it we nuke it and probably you.
10. Read each forum's rules before posting. Really. Do it. It only takes a minute. Some forums are moderated fairly tightly in order to keep things from going sideways quickly.
11. No profanity in thread titles, sig lines, or your user title.
12. No forum wars. If you have beefs with inmates in other forums, this isn't the place to air them out.
13. No mod baiting. Whether it's in the forum or in PM's to the staff here, being an arse may earn you some vacation time or a permaban. Mod decisions are final, don't whine about it.
Time-outs, Vacations, and the Banhammer
How the Banhammer drops around here:
The software upgrade has a new feature allowing the moderators to issue infractions as warnings before the Banhammer falls. Occasionally infractions will get bypassed and the Banhammer will strike.
If you think someone should be under the banhammer:
Please consider whether a post really is in violation of the rules before hitting the “report this foul post” triangular button. When we get it, the mod squad will decide what action, if any, is needed. Whining is a drag, but giving us a heads-up on a post that has problems is always welcome.
If you're getting the hint that you might be under the banhammer:
In many forums the inmates who have been here for a while will be helpful and give you hints--some subtle, some not--on how to avoid getting into trouble. Listen to them. Everyone here has a vested interest in keeping the site running smoothly. If someone suggests you should change your Flea Market post, pay attention. If someone suggests that what you've posted in JoMomma is about to get you banned, think hard about editing your post.
If you've found yourself on the wrong side of the banhammer:
Rules infractions can result in anything from a day or few days off to cool off, to long or permanent bans. You will lose your subscriptions if you are banned. If for some remote reason you think the mods have made a mistake, you can contact someone at the site via the Yo button at the bottom of any page.
If your best buddy is under the banhammer:
Don't start threads to "Free __________". Unless you want to join your buddy in Banned Camp.
We take this stuff seriously.
Do not post copyrighted material. Links to service manuals, illegal .mp3 downloads, etc. will be deleted, and you will be banned.
If you believe that your copyrighted material appears on this site, you should notify us by clicking the "Report this Post" button.
Please be specific with your copyright claim.
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here