new hack driver Hello from da islands

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by OLDHIPPIE, Jan 2, 2013.

1. OLDHIPPIE

OLDHIPPIE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi im new to sidecars. Ive ridden about everything else lol from kaw 90 to 102" strokers w nos to 1200 lb bulls ( yea i was a dumb kid) any way i have a Royal Enfield w a cozy coming , i know a lot r down on this combo, but for my location it should be fine . Im on the island of Molokai Hawaii 40 miles long 10 miles wide, yep look it up . any way max speedlimit is 45 and no traffic lights here at all so. I think the Enfield should be a blast on island.
    I do have a few questions about a utility hack for my primary transport a 1981 honda xl 185s. id like to hook up a hack for fishing and hunting. the question is are there some DOT reg to follow ? dose the hack have to pass any inspection etc U see where im headed with this any feedback???
    Mahalo
    Tom
  2. davet2

davet2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is an interesting collection of videos on youtube by "hawaiisidecar". He has a Harley with a Champion sidecar. You might look him up and ask your questions. I think the Enfield rig would be perfect for an island too, especially with a 45 mph speed limit. Good luck, Dave
  3. DavePave

DavePave Been here awhile

Oddometer:

http://hawaii.gov/dot/highways/admin-rules/PMVI Manual for Inspectors of Motorcycles Aug 2005.pdf

The above link takes you to the Hawaii DOT inspection rules for motorcycles. I did a quick read through it. It appears that you must meet all existing motorcycle inspection criteria, plus have a working parking brake on a sidecar. Other than that nothing special.
  4. OLDHIPPIE

OLDHIPPIE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mahalo for the info
  5. OLDHIPPIE

OLDHIPPIE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks again
    the main use of the enfield will be tooling around island. to the brach or fishing n camping, heck i can only go 20+ miles east or west any further and on gettin salt water on my feet lmaooo.

thanks
    Oldhippe is happy
  6. davet2

davet2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Be sure to post some pictures of the Enfield rig at the beach, I'm looking out my window at six inches of snow right now, batteries are out of the bikes until spring.
  7. OLDHIPPIE

OLDHIPPIE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oh i will post pics
    bummer is it should have been here last week but the shippers missed the boat so now looks like
    it wont be loaded till jan 17, so its gonna be feb, before it gets here,
  8. DavePave

DavePave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're welcome ...... YES, post some pics. :deal

:D
  9. OLDHIPPIE

OLDHIPPIE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow its a bit@h getting a bike cross country and shipped to hawaii been working on this since before christmas.
    so finaly have a delivery date feb 7 ye haw:clap:clap one more crazy haole (white guy) on a wired bike lol
    beach and surf fishing pics to come
    ride hard an die free
    skydog
  10. the schwartz

the schwartz Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer:
    +1 on the pics request. i honeymooned in hawaii and i managed to escape from my newly married bride for a day or two to go mountain biking, didn't have my motorcycle license yet at the time or i would have tried to rent a motorcycle and take her along.

NYC is almost like hawaii right now, only probably 70 degrees colder and made of concrete...

so yes, any pictures, while they'll make me ache a little for missing it, will also be greatly appreciated.