Emig Racing clamps and stabilizer

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by S Won, Feb 28, 2006.

1. S Won

S Won Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just called Gary Emig today and ordered a set of 20 degree offset clamps. Anybody have these? I got the Revolution II stabilizer.

S Won
    [​IMG]
  2. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Yes... several of us are running them. I picked up a lightly used set for about 50% off and installed them before the last Mexico trip. I like them - a lot.
  3. Vincent_4466

Vincent_4466 Norm

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pa. 1st dirt bike, 69 Penton 125 6-Day
    Yes, I have the EMIG 20mm offset with the rev1 stabilizer. The setup is sweet, and the action good. I run SCOTT'S on other bikes, and EMIG'S is just as good, if not better.
  4. S Won

S Won Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! I have heard nothing but good things about these parts. Mine are on the way!

S Won
  5. teabagger

teabagger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to go to their bigger offset to regain some trail lost in the swap to 17" Excel rims for the road....had brutal headshake at 110-114MPH.....All fixed, and really helps in the deep sand washes, as well as heavy cross-winds....

JM
    LA, CA
  6. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    I think my offset was 20-mm also.... it's good farkle. :thumb
  7. S Won

S Won Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pictures of the new Emig Racing 20 degree offset clamps and steering stabilizer. I called Factory Connection this morning and my WP forks shipped out today. They should arrive early next week. You can also see that I have installed a Renthal KTM bend SX/MX orange handlebar. It's a little further forward in the grip area than the stock bars but I like it. Since the new handlebar clamps move the bars up, the new bars should work well and look great. I'm also going to install a pair of KTM orange anodized bar ends. Those along with some other parts are on their way from KTMTwins. Thanks Don! The Emig Racing clamps were very easy to install. The hardest part was drilling out the blind bolts that hold the ignition switch onto the stock top clamp. What a pain but I got it without much of a problem.

The middle picture shows the bike on my new KTM Racing front lift. The new Emig stem has a smaller hole so I'll need to have a new lift pin machined to fit it. The third picture is of the bike without the lift. The bike balances perfectly on the centerstand with the front removed. I pulled the lift for the picture but it's back under it now. The KTM front lift works very well.

While I'm into this, I'm going to install a set of KTM heated grips and probably dual front brakelines. I have already found the Accessory plugs and have separated them from the other wiring. That should be easy. The brakelines still need to be ordered along with a new front brakeline bracket.

Thanks for looking!

S Won
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. S Won

S Won Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's another from the rear of the bike. You can't tell from the photo but the seat is a new KTM 'Gel' seat. You can also see the rear of my KTM Racing/FMF mufflers and my Street Tracker project in the background. Have have made some money sell of parts from that project and I've decided that I want a set of Akrapovic Ti mufflers. If anyone wants the FMF mufflers contact me and I will sell them for $480.

S Won
    [​IMG]
  9. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    I just finished setting up my Emig clamps and stabilizer. I went with the under the bar mount. I noticed, on some of the photos, the tower holding the pin runs right up to the pivot arm of the stabilizer. Mine does not. :cry

I also had to shim the pin up in its base to even engage the pivot arm. After seeing your photos, I think I have the wrong tower, even though the base is stamped, "LC-8". I'll give Paige and Gary a call to see if this is actually an LC-4 tower bolted onto an LC-8 pedestal.

Close, very close to being done...:lol3
  10. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    Has anyone gone with the higher bar mount option (3.25 in. vs the 2.70 in.)? That would seem to be the difference I'm seeing. Sending an e-mail to Paige now...
  11. S Won

S Won Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are a few updated pictures from my Emig Racing clamp and steering stabilizer install. I'm doing a few of other modifications to the bike. A new radiator screen, folding mirrors, heated grips, etc... I also added a set of KTM bar ends from a 950 SM. Still waiting on the heated grips to show up so, I can finish it up. You can also see the newly rebuilt Factory Connection forks.

Just thought I'd show it off. Yeah, it's dirty I know!

S Won
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. RedFlash

RedFlash Go Cubs!

Oddometer:
    Oh, are the Emigs a great bunch!! Paige responded to my query, very quickly, and did not even wait for my response, sending out the correct tower, along with a return UPS label for the incorrect tower that was included in the original shipment.

And yes, the taller clamp option requires a taller tower. Problem solved :clap.

A quick review so far...

It's hard to believe a 2 mm difference in offset would make much difference, but it does. The steering is much more stable, especially at higher speeds (good to ~100 mph on tarmac, so far :eek1 ) with no indication of wobble or vibration. And this is on a front TKC with 4500 miles of wear...

...and the stabilizer at minimum setting! Bring on the gravel and sand :wink: ...
  13. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Curious about that 2mm change in off set. Just how does that effect the bike? Is it for certaing types of riding? Steering geometry has always baffled me.

Thanks as I am considering the emig unit as well.
  14. dozer

dozer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I to am wondering what the pros and cons of the 2mm offset. Does it make that much difference or is the stabilizer the biggest difference?

thanks
  15. BigMac

BigMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suspect if one were to only increase offset w/o stabilizer the front end would be MORE prone to knifing into sand and soft terrain at low speeds but less prone to high speed wobble regardless of stabilizer.

An increase in offset, increases trail. Increase in trail generally makes a front end more manueverable, more responsive to changes in attitude, ie front end will feel looser and lighter at low speeds. At higher speeds, the front end of a high trail bike will actually feel slower but more planted. It's this sort of inconsistent response in feel that many riders dislike higher trail front ends. Road race bike geometry is less extreme in these changes due to the smaller front tire but you'll find most sportbikes have trail figures of 88-95mm. They of course are not great at low speed manueverability but very quick and responsive to rider input as speed increases.

I personally have been eyeing those adjustable offset clamps available for many dirt bikes, including most KTM's but not our 950's. I suspect since the fork tube OD is identical on our bikes to that of a late model 525EXC, I could easily adapt that clamp to my 950, I'd just lose the steering lock and have to relocate the ignition key. Those units generally allow adjustment ranges from 14-20mm in 2mm intervals. That would certainly suffice for my needs. I'm thinking 18 or 20mm for street and hardpack trail then when i hit the sand and really loose terrain I could switch to 14 or 16mm in 30 minutes or less. Anywho, just a thought.

FWIW: I'm still planning on a stabilizer, only I want to fit a Scotts/Ohlins because I am familiar with their operation and servicability, plus I can easily swap between the unit I already have on my 300EXC thus saving me nearly $400 on a new unit. I just prefer under-bar mount combined with possible adjustable offset. Take care
  16. Orangetwin411

Orangetwin411 Katoom Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks nice Swon, real freakin nice :clap
  17. S Won

S Won Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my understanding the 2mm offset makes the bike more stable. This is because the trail is increased, just as BigMac pointed out. Gary Emig told me the difference is like night and day. I bought these parts for the promised increase in stability and the bling factor. My bike handled just fine, UNTIL, I raised my forks in the trees because the bike was just a bit too high for me. :lol3 Yeah, that's funny! This produced a low speed wobble while turning in parking lots mostly. It wasn't bad and was never very bad. I want to point out that when the bike was stock, it was very stable. I produced the wobble by changing the bike. As posted before, I recently had my forks lowered 1" by Factory Connection but Gary Emig told me that it really wasn't necessary with the 20mm offest clamps. The one feature that I really like on the ER II steering stabilizer is the dampening action in both directions. The ER I stabilizer does not produce resistance while returning to center. Gary Emig recommend that I get the ER II and I also recommend that. This recommendation, from me is probably premature because, I haven't ridden it. But I trust the recommendation from Gary Emig. The steering stabilizer is going to help more in the loose, high speed stuff, like gravel and sand. If you get a wobble in that, most likely you're going to go down due to a tank slapper.

Thanks Orangetwin411, I'm really liking it. I can't wait to ride it. We're supposed to get some snow this week. At least I have heated grips now!

S Won
  18. dozer

dozer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BigMac and S won thanks for your input.

So if i understand ?

In the dirt and lose stuff I might be happier with the stock offset and a stabilizer and in the twistys the 2mm increased offset with or without stabilizer might be the better option ?

04 950S if that matters
  19. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Both the ER I and ER II work well with this bike. It just depends on how you are using the bike.

I ride mainly off road and prefer the Revolution I.

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>REVOLUTION I is unique by not dampening back to center. For most off-road use, there is no need to have dampening when returning to center. Working against the hydraulic resistance while returning to centerline increases rider fatigue. It is unnecessary.

REVOLUTION II steering stabilizer is designed for bigger, dual-sport type bikes. When primary use is straight-line riding, rather than tight woods, REVOLUTION II provides dampening in both directions. This is helpful in higher speed conditions, deep sand, etc.
    <O:p></O:p>
  20. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posed the same question and Gary Emig reponded:

The 20mm offset would drastically improve all around riding conditions. The steering stabilizer would more than compliment each of the riding conditions you mentioned, particularly in sand. If I had to choose which, if any, to get first I would choose the offset clamps, with the Under-The-Bar mounts. This will help the ergonomics and greatly help standing up on the bike.
    Call me with any more questions,
    Gary