r75/5 handlebar light switch disassembly

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by rusty44, Apr 14, 2012.

1. rusty44

rusty44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I FOUND OUT

I found the reason for my having no headlight.

The green/red and yellow/white wires were pulled out of the circuit board of the handle bar headlight switch.

I can push the wires back in the holes but that is no fix!!!

How do you take the switch apart?

Any secrets?

Anybody know someone who repairs these?
  2. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Not difficult, but there are a lot of fiddly little parts that you have to keep up with. The first surprise is the e-clip that holds it all together.

Duane Ausherman has an article on /2/5 switch repair in his Electrics Section:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/

I'd photograph everything with a digital camera as I disassembled it just in case the memory needed a jog. It's not hard, just be careful...
  3. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's doable, but you might get prepared to drop the circlip BEFORE you start working on the switch. I dropped one on a dirt floor and searched for hours. Luckily I found it the next morning when early morning sunlight glinted on it.
  4. rusty44

rusty44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is the circlip on the shaft in the back or the one on the momentary switch arm that you take off?

5. rufusswan

rufusswan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't really remember but I think it holds the important parts together inside the switch, such that the parts that have to slide/move when assembled have enough, but not too much, tension.

The important thing is that each part comes apart one at a time, one step at a time. Once apart you can rehab any part of the switch and reassemble.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am avoiding this operation by judicious use of masking tape to paint the switch! The Jesus clip will remain in place...:nod