CE-approved clothing - master list?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ranmafan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ranmafan

ranmafan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Intro: what's this fuss all about?

How do you know that the gear you buy is actually going to protect you in a crash? Until recently, you had no choice but to trust the manufacturer and whatever anecdotal evidence (real-life "crash tests"/reviews) you could find.

But did you know that European standards describing procedures - abrasion, burst strength, and more - for testing motorcycle gear have been available for over a decade now? No, not just CE-rated armour - once certified, the entire garment can be called "Personal Protective Equipment" (PPE).

Making list of all such motorcycle PPE currently on the market is the motivation behind this thread.

Jackets/suits: EN 13595

Two levels in the current standard. Level 1 is said to (unofficially) "provide adequate protection in accidents at urban speeds, not higher than 30 mph/48 kph", while Level 2 is "adequate protection in higher speed accidents but may not subsequently be reusable".

"Level 3" isn't part of EN 13595, but it is specified in the Cambridge standard, on which the EN 13595 was initially based.

In general, no mention of the level means "Level 1".

Note that Rukka Armas is NOT certified to any motorcycle gear standards (other than impact protectors); validity of other claims may also be in question. See this thread.

Furygan appears to have its own testing method, "inspired" by a liberal interpretation of EN13595. As of 2011, no certification has ever been obtained, and the lack of proper labels supports this.

SoubiraC appears to be in the same boat as Furygan. Buyer beware.

Pants/trousers/jeans: also in EN 13595

Part of the same standard, see above.

• Halvarssons/Jofama/Lindstrands
      • Safety pants, L1, textile. Inner pants certified by themselves, outer shells worn on top.
    • Clover
    • Draggin Jeans (Australia). Note that "Draggin' Jeans" (US) is a completely different company!
      • C-Evo, L1, textile.
      • Holeshot, L2, textile.
    • Weise
    • Hideout
    • Arlen Ness/Madif/Berik
    • Bull-it
    • Lean Angle Jeans
      • Lean Angle Jeans (vendor thread), L2. Some doubts raised - see the discussion for now.

At least some of Furygan's "approved" gear (most likely, all of it) has never been certified - see the note above.

Some of Drayko and Sartso jeans are said to pass just the abrasion test, but don't seem to be certified.

Gloves: EN 13594

No levels in the current revision (2002). The new version, expected sometime in 2013, will include two levels, with the old revision corresponding to L2.

Beware the bogus "gardening gloves" certification. Mention of Category 1 89/686/EEC and absence of an explicit "EN13594" pictogram - as well as being made for the French market - are typical red flags.

• Safety Grip, leather, 2002 standard (L2). Some users report frayed/broken stitching after only a few months/weeks of use - QC issue claimed to be fixed now.
      • Some of the models (e.g. Beryl) are "CE Category 1". Don't be fooled - see note above.
    • Racer
      • As of 2013/04, only EN1621-2 (back protector - ?) certification is claimed now.
      • Certification for Stratos originally planned, but never done.
      • 2013 Advance model is reported to be L1-certified. Dubious - probably translation error.
    • Dainese
      • Full metal RS, Pro metal RS, Crono, Carbon Cover ST and S-ST (shorter version), Druids ST and S-ST, Replica 2012. All L1. Shorter S-ST models are looking dubious.
    • Elmon
      • At least one model certified to the 2002 (read: L2) standard by SATRA. Availability unknown.
    • Knox

Despite the CE mark shown on the website, Velocity Gear gloves (all models) are NOT certified, and have never been. Their "glove chassis", however, is claimed to have passed the main EN13594 requirements.

Ixon gloves are in the aforementioned "gardening gloves" category - no EN13594 certification despite the claims.

Same issue with Furygan's gloves. Some of the "approved" gloves also clearly fail the length requirements.

Eska claims EN13594:2002 certification for their gloves, but has neither CE labels nor documentation to support it. Likely just ignorant marketing.

At least some of V'Quattro gloves have CE tags - again, see above. Seems they are no longer advertised as having anything to do with EN13594. (The wording is still in violation of the PPE directive, however.)

Macadam Baikal gloves appear to have CE impact protectors - at best. Most likely nothing to do with EN13594 at all, despite what the ads say.

Rainers X-One racing glove is claimed to be EN13594. Wrong pictogram shape, lacking key details. Unwilling to provide clarification, either. Likely "gardening gloves" again.

Boots: EN 13634

Once again, two of the tests - abrasion and cut, taken from EN13595 - allow for two levels. Current revision is 2010, old one is 2002. Major changes: transverse rigidity (i.e. resistance to being crushed) test now has two levels (the old one corresponding to L2), and the pictogram now has 3 numbers (abrasion, cut, transverse rigidity). See sample label.

Five optional tests are specified: "impact energy protection to the shin and ankle, resistance to water penetration, resistance to fuel oil of the outsole, slip resistance of the outsole and finally water vapour permeability of the upper."

• Alpinestars
      • Many models are certified, including some offroad. Toucan boot confirmed L2, 2010 standard.
    • Oxtar/TCX
    • Alt-Berg "The Yorkshire Bootmakers" :freaky
    • Vendramini
      • According to WBW, at least the Marathon model is certified. Custom-made option, but little model info on the website.
    • BMW
      • Transition touring boots. Discontinued?
    • Daytona
      • Travel Star Pro boots. The "Pro" model not shown on the website, for some reason.
    • SoubiraC
      • Many models are certified, 2002 and 2010 mentioned. See 2012 catalogue (French/English).
    • Spidi/XPD
      • XP7, L2, racing (all versions). The mention of EN3886 is likely an error. See 2012 catalogue instead.
      • XP3-S, L1, racing.
      • VR6, L1, touring/racing (all versions).
      • VS1, L1, touring.
      • XP5 (XP7 replacement) is pending certification.
      • Brick, L1, touring.
      • Champ, L1, touring. Impact to the shin/ankle and WP tests also passed (spotted in a photo of the booklet).
      • Chipseal, L1, touring.
      • Tarmac, L1, touring.
    • Icon
      • Reign WP, L1, touring. Optional WP test passed. No mention of EN13634 on the website, but this scan of the brochure has a detailed explanation.
    • Stylmartin
    • Sidi
      • All racing boots except B2 and Vertigo (missing CE label/booklet), L1? (2002 standard, reportedly).
      • Adventure, Strada, Cobra, all versions, touring.
      • Doha (shorty, fabric!) touring.
      • Crossfire, offroad.
    • Axo
      • Q2 and Q4 models, L1?, WP, touring.
      • Prime, L1?, offroad.
    • Forma
    • Dainese
      • Most models are certified, 2010 mentioned occasionally.
      • Some models, like SSC Alpha C2b, are just said to be "Category 2" approved. A bit dubious.

Airbags: EN 1621.4

Still in the DRAFT stage - so take the following list with a grain of salt. Some products already claim to be meeting the specs, however.

Comments/additions/corrections are very welcome! :ear
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. ranmafan

Oddometer:
  4. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
  5. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    Hold on, it's not actually in the description, and I don't see the tag on the photos, either.

I suspect that while the jacket itself is certified, the pants are not... thus no mention of it on the whole suit.

EDIT: Nevermind, found your thread with the same question. Waiting for the "official" answer or a photo of the tag.
  6. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
  7. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    I see lots of weasel wording to say that most models were tested, but did NOT pass. WebBikeWorld seems to have been fooled by the same thing. Very misleading and unethical at best.

The Exhibition Pro model IS stated to have the certification in definite terms, though.

EDIT: After the reading the threads here and this little exchange I am now under impression that NONE of their gloves pass the full EN13594 test, just what I'd call "material quality" tests.
  8. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
    The description for the jacket clearly states EN-13595-1, however the pants do not, which is probably why the description for the suit can't carry that tag.

http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textile-motorcycle-jackets/ergo-expedition.html
    http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textile-motorcycle-jackets/ergo-365-pro.html
  9. ranmafan

Oddometer:
  10. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    The Vendramini info may be outdated. I think they revamped their boot lineup last year and the Marathon may be discontinued.
  11. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    That could explain why their current English website sucks so much... The Marathon is still there under "touring" and in the other store, though.

Also, this page suggests that their entire "race" lineup might be CE-certified (or passes the "crush" part of it, at least).

I've only barely started going through the list of manufacturers mentioned on PVA's website, by the way. Hein Gericke is on there, too.
  12. velocitygear

velocitygear Killer Moto Gloves

Oddometer:

Hello,

Thought I'd put some facts out there, rather than assumptions.

I have NOT paid to have my gloves "CE certified". Instead of wasting thousands of dollars on a certificate, I preferred to simply build my gloves to withstand what in my opinion, is the DEFINING aspect of EN13594: They have been tested by BOTH SATRA and the CTC of FRANCE.

Cut Resistance, Tear Resistance. Seam Burst Resistance and Abrasion Resistance. All of the other facets of EN13594 are simply dye, ergonomic and other misc. tests that I consider to be trivial in comparison to the MAIN 4..

Weasel wording?! I have the physical testing data for said tests. Good luck getting such data from ANY other glove manufacturer!

Where do I state ANYWHERE, that my gloves are CE certified? Making assumptions, well you know what they saY!!!
  13. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is some more CE PPE certified clothing ...

Gloves: EN 13594

Boots: EN 13634

Jackets/trousers/suits: EN 13595, two levels, L2 better than L1

Plus the boutique, top end leather tailors like BKS Leather (www.bksleather.co.uk) and Hideout (www.hideout-leather.co.uk/made-to-measure) that both offer Level 2 leather jackets and trousers.
  14. Valentino

Oddometer:
    To the mods, please could we make this sticky?

15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. lucas123

lucas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW Allround 2 gloves have CE tags.
  17. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    I hope we start seeing some of this CE gear on this side of the pond.
  18. Valentino

Oddometer:
    Only the Halvarssons Safety Grip and Racer Stratos gloves have meaningful CE certification for gloves.

Indeed they do, as do a lot of other gloves. However, they meet a lower CE standard. The data required is just for the impact protection of any knuckle armour, from what I gather.

Manufacturers found the original CE requirements too much effort to achieve. Check out the Velocity Gear website for a description of the challenges involved. Hence some manufacturers lobbied the EU to introduce an easier, lower standard for gloves. Which just shows what they think of us :(: I've seen gloves made of spandex :eek1 that meet the lower standard, presumably because they have decent knuckle impact protection.

:thumb Halvarssons met the original, high standard (now called Level 2) with its Safety Grip glove. Racer meets the Level 2 standard with its Stratos glove. Personally, these will be my gloves of choice now. Racer makes top notch gloves - as good or better than Held - backed up by a 3-year guarantee.
    Pamalama likes this.
  19. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    This is all I want to know. Thank you very much for stating this clearly, for once.

I absolutely refuse to take back my previous statement, however. Let the facts speak for themselves.
  20. ranmafan

Oddometer:
    Also, sorry for the delay in updates, folks. I'll be catching up in a bit.