Need help picking boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Little Bike, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a xt250, just started riding dirt. I definitely needs some boots with better protection. I'm looking for a boot that will protect my ankles and shins, but the more boots I see I'm not sure I want a full on heavy dirt boot. I was set to get a pair of the alpinestar tech3s, but I really want something less bulky and that I can actually walk in. I'm now looking at the boots listed as adv boots on the revilla site, but I'm not if any of them are protective enough. I basically need dual sport boots that I can also walk in without feeling like I have on ski boots.

Thoughts anybody? I'd like to stay below $300

thanks!
  2. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2 most cited are:

Below 300$: Alpinestars Scout

Over 300$: Sidi Adventure rain

Both are waterproof.

There's the Gaerne G-Adventure also but they are "known" as glorified waterproof road boots (not that it's a bad thing if it's what you're looking for...) because of their lack of ankle protection.
  3. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understand where you are- I was really on the fence as well.

Thing is, nothing protects like an MX boot, and your ankles are one of the most vulnerable areas when learning to ride offroad (or being an expert offroad for that matter).

Have you considered "hinged" MX boots? Gaerne SG10/SG12 or Sidi Crossfires come to mind. Problem is, these go over your $300 dollar budget. I personally have the Crossfires, and they are comfortable and easy to walk in. They are NOT easy to run in. I have been in rain and through water crossings with them and my feet stayed dry, though they are not supposed to be waterproof.

Maybe try to find a decent pair of cheaper hinged boots with MX protection levels. I told myself that since I had no idea what im doing offroad, and i have no health insurance, I had better get the best boots money can buy- I dont regret it.

Good luck :1drink
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a hinged MX boot. They may be a bit out of your budget, but breaking your ankle will cost a lot more than $300.
  5. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    The alpinestar scouts look like a good (thanks sgtduster) , but dang, I just got a post on another thread about my first dirt ride for a website that has the tech3 for $99. Now what!!!!!!! That's such a good price, but I'm really not sure about wearing those for 300 miles on the slab on a dual sport, getting from trail A to trail B
  6. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Those boots look really nice - maybe the Gaernes for my budget....
  7. Performance Cycle

Performance Cycle 303-744-2011

Oddometer:
    The Sidi Charger is probably the best bet for what you're looking for. They are a little over your budget but I think you would like them!
  8. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    I dont want to be a salesman, but I really hope you give a set of hinged MX boots a shot. At worst, you try them out, dont like them, and you sell them somewhere for 100 off what you paid for them. If you do end up finding them comfortable enough, score! Nothing will save your ankles like a good set of MX boots.

FYI, I researched the Gaernes and Sidis alot as I was between those. Heres what I found:
    Sidis are lighter and less bulky. The TAs are probably the closest you will get to a comfortable walking boot, with the guernes close behind and the SRS's last.
    Gaernes are better for wide feet
    Sidis seem to have an edge in resisting water entry, though neither are advertised as waterproof.
    Sidis have a shorter toe box, and so you tend to get better shifter feel
    Gaernes seem to have an edge in comfort, though I have not compared them to my Sidis; my Sidis are the most comfortable boot ive ever worn, so the Gaernes must be insane.
    Both are rebuildable (break a strap in a fall or whatever, you can get another instead of a new boot)
    Sidis SRS with the user replaceable soles are stiffer, and thus not as comfortable to walk in- I got the TAs since I intend to dual sport with them.
    Gaerne is much harder to spell :lol3

Both seem to be good. The Sidis seem to have an edge in bulk, while the Gaernes in comfort and price. Bulk is very important if you intend to walk in them all day, so think carefully. If you have a Cycle Gear near you, maybe you could go try them both on and see what you think?
  9. biensur22

biensur22 litigious poster

Oddometer:
  10. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    Nice link.

I have not tried any of these on, so I am not sure how comfortable they are to walk in. These boots are definitely lighter and are still very protective, so definitely good choices. I would still consider the benefits of a hinge- no MX boot will be more comfortable than a hinged one to walk in, though it comes with a steep price. Honestly, if one is not really walking around a lot, Id go for the GX-1 listed on that link; looks like a great boot. If you plan on doing super long trips or walking around a lot, either get hinged MX boots, or bring a pair of hiking boots :1drink

**EDIT** Ignore my stupidity. Get the GX-1 for sure! It is hinged- I totally missed that part. Great link biensur! Good price, easy to walk in, good brand.
  11. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799927

Keep in mind, protection is correlated to price. The GX-1 is definitely better than any "adventure" boot, but for motocross type protection, they are going to get their money from you. Thats why the SG10/12 and crossfires are so (too) damn much.
  12. biensur22

Oddometer:
    Not to be disputatious, but the price is a combination of factors, not necessarily just the quality of materials or research and design, but labor costs are probably the largest factor. Sidi and gaerne boots, bless their hearts, are still manufactured in western Europe and have to cope with enormous labor costs that the companies in Asia do not. Not that I've compared them toe to toe :) but I did work in in the shoe industry for a few years and can tell you that many companies high end shoe companies that have had their production in Europe have moved to china and Thailand (among others) to get their labor costs down. The materials are the same, and the difference in workmanship can be negligible if not nonexistent.
  13. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    Good points and definitely true. Nike is a good example in the shoe world- charge the same, make more profit by reducing labor costs. I agree, but from what im reading it seems that the intro MX boots do not offer quite the same protection as the top-of-the-line stuff, but they do offer other benefits (price, weight, bulk).

The OP has an XT250, so she will prolly not be harescrambling it, and the bike itself is pretty light (less apt to break an ankle in a fall). I think the GX-1s would prolly work very well, and they fall under her budget which is good. I do think the Gaerne SG10/12 and sidi crossfires are prolly the best (my ankles hope so with my big ass DR650! :lol3)
  14. biensur22

Oddometer:
    +1! I've got the gaerne balance oiled boots right now for general dual sporting. But I'll be picking up a pair of sg10s as soon as I've saved enough pennies now that I've got a 640 and plan to rally it.
  15. GSF1200S

Oddometer:
    Better than my situation where I have Crossfires and am now saving enough pennies to join the orange crush :lol3
  16. lightfox

lightfox Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take a look at Dainese TRQ-Tour boots. I have them for road, not dirt, but it may be what you're looking for. It has the ankle protection you want without being bulky. They're comfortable to walk if you have socks that are as high as the boot (the labels at shin-height are scratchy).

The bad news is they're $330 and over your budget by $30. They were worth it for me because they have the right combination of comfort, protection, and looks that I didn't find in any other boot.
  17. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    Went through everybody's posts, made a list and checked it twice.

I was able to try on the tech3s at CycleGear - comfortable, but I'm not crazy about the buckle system - and my local shop can order the Sidi Crossfire TAs and the Gaener (?) 10 and 12s in my size (they only carry down to a men's 9). Both of those look really nice, I like that everything on those boots is replaceable and you can have them resoled. The price! Argh!

I'm going to do some calling around and try to hunt down some of the others for try ons, I don't want to buy a type of boot I've never worn through the mail.

thanks all! Getting closer!
  18. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've broken my ankle in a rock garden hill climb by snagging a toe in a street boot with velcro/zipper. Never again. Next was Sidi Discovery. They are a heavy 3 buckle boot and I recco. Then I bought Gaerne Balance Oiled. Probably the most comfy ever, but not sure about protection. Still, it is a trials boot and them boys like rocks. 3 buckles tall.

MX boots are probably the most protection. Even the cheap ones. 4 buckles tall and lots of stiffness.
  19. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I was just looking at the Sidi Discoverys on revzilla and was wondering if anybody liked them. They seem like a good balance of on/off road, protection and cost. I looked at some other Sidis today and really liked the buckle system.
    Why didn't you buy another pair of the Discoverys?
  20. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I still have the Disco's, but they are with a bike I keep out west. I always admired the Gaerne and they are waterproof, so I bought a pair for riding my new KTM here in New England. But after a couple dual sport rides I find they are pretty soft. They have a better buckle system than Sidi, though.

I apply a silicon liquid to my Disco's before long trips for waterproofing. It works well enough for a couple weeks at a time. They are fairly water resistant anyway, but days on end of rain will eventually soak through.

The Disco is actually an ATV boot originally (bought mine in 2004). It has a softer sole, which makes it easier to walk in. Mine originally had a steel toe piece screwed into the sole, but I removed it because I can only tippy toe on my bikes and needed traction in parking lots and such. If I was buying again, I would get a new pair of Sidi.

My son wears the top line Sidi Vortice road race boots. He's on his second pair. My other son wears their Crossfire MX boots for desert racing out west. Sidi is probably the very best boot mfg there is.