The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado - The Definitive Reference

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by sfarson, Sep 14, 2011.

1. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    Everyone,

Long time member at ADVRIDER. It was suggested a couple of weeks ago I make a post here about a comprehensive book I wrote on motorcycling Colorado. Well, while tending to be low key about such things, thought some of you might get a kick out out of the availability of something like this exhaustive thing. It was a big project.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I know you can't read the details of the back cover above, but the book has made a recent (and selling well) appearance at Amazon, and there is a nice readable preview here... http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guid...3922/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313704947&sr=8-1

In the coming months it will start making an appearance at book and bike dealers.

Quick overview notes...

- The are 172 road/ride chapters covering the entire state.
    - Even the Eastern Plains are covered with rides to historic places, like mesmorizing Indian battlefield sites.
    - Of the 172 chapters, 45 or so are off road (I drew the line that a big dual sport could handle it, and of course it had to be special).
    - In addition to the 172 chapters, there are regional/statewide chapters where longer roads/rides are linked, things are ranked, etc.
    - There are 200+ maps. Whitehorse Press, the publisher, did some amazing work with the maps.
    - There are 300+ videos. Every road/ride has at least one onboard recording (many have two or more), useful as a preview, or to re-ride what you rode.
    - There are 500+ photos. The texture of the road/ride was the focus. The Denver Public Library granted permission to use photos in their historical archives.
    - The text of each chapter provides the background and/or history of the road/ride, the details of what to expect and look for, how to best ride it, recommendations along the way, and how to link it to other nearby roads/rides, etc.

The book has the attitude the ride is the destination. I know many of you are like-minded. It was written for those in the region, and also for those further away intending on experiencing the Rocky Mountains of Colorado on two wheels. It was written to be the standard for years and years and years, with no gaps, nothing left out. Very pleased with the early reviews, which can be noted at the Amazon link.

Feel free to leave any remarks/questions here. I'll be gracious. :lol3

Anyway, from one enthusiast to another, may your rides always be special.

Steve
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    congrats on publishing Steve! :clap
    i know it feels awesome to see it to the end.
    i look forward to reading a copy myself.
  3. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    Outstanding work Steve! You certainly titled this book correctly, the Complete Guide.
    You covered alot of ground making this, people should thank you for doing the hard work for them.
    Mike
  4. justintyme

justintyme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks awesome, I gotta have one, as a transplant from ND living here and loving it 5 years in Northern CO, I've only explored a small fraction of this wonderful motorcycle heaven.
  5. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    Thank all, and justintyme... there's scads of content on Northern CO. Enjoy.
  6. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got my copy and can't recommend it enough. I'm headed to CO in two weeks and this will be GOLD! This is already shaping up to be some of the best money I've ever spent.
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Book ordered! :thumb

Thank you.
  8. JimStrom

JimStrom formerly jimstrom

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip next summer, glad to find some winter study material.
  9. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked mine up at Chapters last night.

This is truly a labour of love. Fantastic pictures and lots of interesting historical stuff. I particularly like the Grand Tour map at the back, for suggested roads to ride for a one week or two week trip.

It must be great to have your life back now. :thumb
    Pater likes this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  11. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This book is outstanding. Steve Farson has put a lot of time and effort to produce a guide that truly is about riding Colorado. If you ride Colorado (or plan to) this book is a must, it really is that good. :clap

This is a totally unsolicited comment. My only connection is I live in Colorado and I received the book as a Xmas gift.
  12. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    Agree, agree, agree. Great book, Steve. Really a useful guide book to riding Colorado. :clap :clap :clap
  13. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    What makes this book even more awesome is once you buy the book, you can get access to Steve's site which has interactive google maps for the rides in the book and videos of those rides, so you can get a glimpse into what the ride's like before riding it.. I'm already planning my Co rides for next summer with a mix of paved and unpaved roads. A highly recommended book, thanks Steve :thumb
  14. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    Everyone... Been awhile since I chimed in, but want to say thanks. May your rides in 2012, and the memories from them, be special.

Steve
  15. pdavis59

pdavis59 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got mine yesterday. Definitely going to be using it to plan my trip to Colorado this summer.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve,
    I wanted to followup about your book. I finally got a copy last week as it travel with a family member down here. Amazing piece of work you have there! Love your writing style and all the history thrown in.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    :ear i'll have to check that out. thnx!
  19. ABYSS

ABYSS KTM

Oddometer:
    This were available on Amazon Kindle that way I could download it and install it to my iPad iBooks. As I take this with me when I ride.
  20. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    Abyss,

There aren't many/any "ride guides" of any location or region, in a Kindle or eBook format yet. It is largely a publisher decision. I am an iPad/tablet/Kindle/smart phone junkie.

To get around this I developed a web version of the book, not constrained by size, amount of content, or the placement of new updates. Plus, this big web version of the Colorado book takes advantage of Google Maps, direct links, embedded road/ride videos, etc. Last, it is accessible by any web enabled device... iPad/tablet, Kindle, smart phone, laptop, PC, etc. I check it out all the time using the preceding. Additionally, the site is "reader" aware, with "reader" features turned on by certain browsers/settings delivering a Kindle like reading environment.

It is free to owners of the book, with directions noted in the book. HTH,

Steve