cb350 four or twin, you choose

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by wannabe1, Nov 20, 2010.

1. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Questions for the early 70's Honda CB guys. Kinda got the vintage bug and there have been a couple of early 70's CB350 bikes for sale, some twins, some fours. As far as reliability and wrenching which bikes are better? Logic would point me in the simpler is better path which points to the twins. One question is assuming I get a bike that is already running properly and is not a "project" as long as it is properly maintained could I assume a 4 would be just as reliable as the twin? Can I assume the 4 is a better performer than the twins?
    Thanks
  2. klp

klp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I am not a twin guy but I own a four. I am sure others will chime in on twins.

Either bike would be dead reliable as they are Hondas. You know how that goes - pick a good starting place. I bought mine with 20k and it has run great after doing the usual - carb clean/sync, air filter, plugs, valve check, brakes. Just don't expect modern reliability and you will be very happy.

As you are thinking the fours have twice as many carbs, valves, etc so they are a little more complex.

Regarding the bikes I am partial to the fours. They are in fact a bit slower than the twins but super smooth and you cannot deny the sound track of a little four. I think the 360T's have a six speed but for some reason I think the 350Ts are more desireable. The twins also have a diaphram carb which can be a PITA. I think the fours are also heavier.

Good luck and you cannot miss with either - post up some pics when you decide.
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The four for me. Jewel like quality and a wonderful exhaust note as well as a smooth ride make the small fours a nice ride. The four will take more time and money to maintain but will be as reliable as the twin. The four was aimed at a higher profile market and the component choice shows it. The twin was meant for basic transport and the inverse is true there.

The first generation Honda fours (size notwithstanding) are the benchmark for Japanese bike reputation in dependability. High cool factor as well. You won't be pulling up to a light next to a 350 four often. I'd like a CB-1 someday. Not easy to find in good shape.
  4. wannabe1

Oddometer:
    After I briefly googled the CB350, I did learn that the twin was the better performer and lighter and the reason the 4 was only produced a couple of years before the 400 was introduced.
  5. hoodellyhoo

hoodellyhoo Dummy

Oddometer:
    Let's be honest. You already know which one you want....

[​IMG]
  6. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    I had a 500/4 with 4 open megs many years ago.

It was one of the sweetest sounds I've heard.....

But I kept the 350twin.:wave
  7. welder

welder Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you go with the four, I personally would get a 400 and not the 350 four. The 350F is less desireable and lower performance than the 350 twin and the 400 four. Stay away from the 360 twin as they are not as desirable and I have heard from a friend that restores 350's that the 360 is a bit of a turd. Be aware that the 350 and 400 four's are a pricey bike to fix up and/or restore. Might want to consider a 550 four too. They are a wonderfule bike with the lightness and charm of a smaller bike but enough power to take longer hwy. rides. Best of luck, Fergie. One of my rides

Attached Files:

8. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    the 350 twin is the most common bike ever made (behind the Cub of course) so parts are dirt cheap. It's lighter and has better performance than the 360. I wouldn't waste my time on a 360.

I talked to a guy that loved his 350f but he said it was kinda like working on a watch with all the moving parts. He loved that he could keep all that complication rolling. It's smooth and the sound is nice. Again, I wouldn't waste my time on a 350f. If I was going to get a 4-cylinder I'd at least want to be rewarded for the extra effort of dealing with the added complication with more power. A CB750 is the only 4-cylinder I'd add to the garage.

I agree with klp that I don't like the diaphragm carb on the twin though not because it's a PITA. The diaphragms are attached to the slide so you'll need to buy the whole assembly since the rubber will almost certainly be bad. $45 each at Sirius. $90 for two. Heck, I've seen whole bikes go for less than that.
  9. Twistyblackmetal

Twistyblackmetal wrenchslinger

Oddometer:
    and would pass over them to get into a 350-400 4. They will be a bit more difficult to set up correctly but the reward from that exhaust note is certainly worth it, IMHO.
  10. wannabe1

Oddometer:
    Hoodellyhoo, the local 350F looks like yours. Thanks for a better pic of one than the craigslist add.
  11. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    I have just rebuilt a CB400/4 from bare cases. They are mighty impressive :thumb

I have a build thread in my sig line. Parts are readily available. Plenty of info at the SOHC forum. I know where you could get a cheap Yoshi 460 kit :evil

I have made a few mods to mine to turn it into an XR460 Four :deal
    However its is all reversible except the swingarm extension, 100mm.

Four over a 350 twin, really there is no contect in my opinion. . go the FOUR

[​IMG]

David Silver Spares in the UK has lots of repro parts too
  12. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool bike!!!!
  13. bfd70

bfd70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    the 350 twin was the first bike I ever loved. yesterday, after 18 years and 8 bikes, I finally got one. 9k on the clock, runs like a top. Basically stole it for $700. Will post pics soon.
  14. 650sf

650sf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would go for the twin, and if you go for the 4 I would get at least a cb550.
  15. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's pretty clear there ain't going to be a consensus here. I think that's because both bikes are pretty darn good, each in their own way.

My dad had a 350 four and loved it. It was the first road bike that I drove. That alone makes it very special for me.

I had two friends who had a 2 cylinder 350. They both toured on it for a few weeks throughout the Midwest and NE. They didn't even complain!

Since you have a few options how about basing your decision on the best, most reasonably priced bike that you come across?
  16. bfd70

bfd70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can anyone tell me the "official" names of the colors the cb350 came in for the 1973 production. Mine is sort of brown, and I need to locate a side cover. I thought knowing the name of the color I'm looking for might make it easier.
  17. killfile

killfile 49/50

Oddometer:
    just an FYI, a Twin CB350 is much more manageable for a shorter rider than a CB350-4. My wife is in the 5'-4" range and struggled with her CB350-4 a few times, but is quite happy with my twin CL350.
  18. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer:
    Try this. http://www.spookytoms.com/CB750-PaintColors.html
  19. bfd70

bfd70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great link! Thanks. Candy Gold.

Attached Files:

20. Al Tuna

Al Tuna Off The Hook

Oddometer: