Garmin BaseCamp-Win

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by DRTBYK, Dec 14, 2011.

1. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I thought it would be good to start a new Garmin BaseCamp thread so we could potentially have one. I know some don't like that concept but let's see how it goes.

From the Developers:
    We decided to release another Beta before 3.3.1. This release fixes some of the shaping point issues for Zumo 4x0 and 5x0, so we are especially interested in feedback on that (please use https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=24732 to provide feedback regarding that topic). We also fixed some other issues, and added a few more features that weren't done at the time of the first Beta.

Download the Beta here: http://developer.garmin.com/apps/BC/...3.0.3_Beta.exe. If you used 3.3.0.2, you should also be able to update from within BaseCamp.

If you haven't tried 3.3.0.2, make sure to check out https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=24413, there have been a lot of changes!

Change list from BaseCamp 3.3.0.2 to 3.3.0.3
    • Fixed zumo 5x0 and 4x0 route transfer issues. Note that this may cause route transfer issues on the zumo 660. A future firmware update on the 660 will address this issue
    • Update waypoint references to map data when recalculating routes. Advice for the first beta that said that shaping points only worked for brand new routes can now be ignored
    • Added hiding of Activity profiles
    • Added creating OpenCaches from waypoints
    • Added calculating ascent and descent for direct routes
    • Added indication of data filter visibility state on the data list
    • Change to prevent property dialogs becoming lost off screen after screen resolution changes
    • Fixed any profiles from BaseCamp 3.2 that have invalid routing preferences (ie invalid vehicle types and incorrect avoidances)
    • Fixed list in-place rename requiring pressing enter to complete the edit
    • Fixed the "Reset Headers" context menu being displayed after renaming an item
    • Fixed issue writing out altitude when exporting to the GDB file format
    • Fixed track filtering "automatic mode" for tracks with no time information

Known issues
    Doing a “Send to” from the root device folder to “My Collection” crashes. This is when selecting the entire contents of the device in the folder list, and only when selecting the root My Collection in the folder/list picker dialog.
    Sending geocaches to some of our older devices (first generation Oregons and older) fails when there aren’t already geocaches on that device (a geocaches.gpx file).

These will be fixed in the final release.​

Cheers,
  2. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    You might want to start two, until Garmin standardizes the feature set, look, and tool usage between the two platforms. If they ever do. A lot of people don't realize they're quite different apps at this point.
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've been mulling that over since I posted. OK, done. I doubt that BaseCamp will ever be exactly the same on both OS's.

Maybe R-dubb could change the Thread Title for me to Garmin BaseCamp-Win?

Cheers,
  4. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Dowloading now.
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Just keep in mind that this is a BETA release. There are a few things that are not there or that are not functioning properly. If you find what you believe to be issues, it will help us all if you report them on the Garmin Forum.

Cheers,
  6. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I just started farting around with it. I always thought Basecamp for Mac was so much better, interface wise. But my Mac is a netbook and it chokes trying to actually do anything productive.
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I also prefer the BC-Mac interface and tool methods. Sounds like it's time to "upgrade" your Mac. I use a MacBook Air and it runs BaseCamp (and most everything else) quite well. :norton I'd like to have a Mac Pro but it's hard to spend the money when I have a VERY powerful Windows machine that does email and web surfing most of the time - use to run my CAD and Building Design apps.

Cheers,
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geeeeze, I thought this was some kind of "Scratch & Win" thread?

Question,
    does Base Camp have something like the Track properties page to set color of each track
    does it have a way to set the "Show on Map" bit that Mapsource had but Garmin removed at no extra charge
  9. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Double-click on the Track and the Properties window opens - imagine that! Set Color: choose from the standard 16 colors + Transparent. Yes, the Color property is passed to the GPS and the Montana reads it.

The Show on Map bit is not passed to the GPS. You get (have) to make that decision on the GPS. I'll bet that if we (as a community) each asked for BaseCamp to pass a Show on Map property in the GPX file, they would do it.

I also believe that if BaseCamp sent the property that the Montana and other GPS's would that can use it would follow suit.

Cheers,
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tested this? Set bit in GPS uplaod track to BaseCamp erase track in GPS then downoload and see if it is the same for both On & Off.

It transfers in Mapsource but you just can't see it or set it in Mapsource.
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Your scenario is a bit different than the one I was describing. I have not tested that one since I don't have a GPS currently in my possession that passes the "Show on Map" tags in the GPX file.

I'm sure someone with an older GPS could test your scenario. One of the issues going forward is that the newer Garmin GPS's are using the "other" Garmin GPX Extensions. These XML tags are different than the older GPS used. So, there might not even be an Extension for "Show on Map"(?) in the new Extensions XML.

I can tell you that the Montana does not write the "Show on Map" tags in the GPX file and my Dakota 20 didn't either. Do the GPSMAP 76's/62's? Post a waypoint.gpx file so I can look?

Cheers,
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are we talking same thing? The "Show on Map" tag is the the track properties of each Track (along with color). Nothing to do with any kind of file.
  13. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Maybe, maybe not. Long ago MapSpource had a tick mark in the Track Properties for "Show on Map". That property was passed to the GPS (if it was supported) along with Color, etc.

What I was asking is, do you have a GPX file where the "Show on Map" is expressed? I think this was back in the non-GPX days when Garmin used GDB only and passed proprietary commands to the GPS. If you (or anyone) has a Track in GPX format with this attribute tagged, please post it. I really want to see what it looks like.

According to Garmin the current GPX Extension's don't support "Show on Map". But, Garmin has changed their GPX code and I just don't have a Track example of the old GPX format with that property set.

All of that said, I don't think that any current GPS writes the "Show on Map" attribute in the Track properties when they are transferred. And since BaseCamp writes GPX to the GPS, even if the tag were sent to BaseCamp it would not make the return to the GPS since there is no GPX definition for "Show on Map".

Cheers,
  14. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A question:

I usually create a route first then convert it to a track before loading onto my GPS. I usually delete the route before loading.

But sometimes I want to create a route from a track. After doing this, how do I get rid of all the little flag symbols (points) that clutter the route up??
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just ran test with Mapsource and 76C.

You are correct at least in some part.

I had 6 tracks in 76C, 3 set to "Show", 3 set to "Not Show".

I uploaded to Mapsource, Saved as .gpx, opened .gpx file, and downloaded tracks back to cleared 76C.

They were now all "Show". This does not happen if you use Mapsource and .gdb files.

I am guessing that the .gpx format which is not a Gramin thing just does not support this bit.

When you open a .gpx file with Mapsource, it seems like it converts it to .gdb (not real clear) and defaults the "show on map" bit ot "Show". I know the 76C does not alter the bit like the 78 does. No matter how you have bits set in Mapsource .gdb, when you send to 78 it turns them all to "Not Show". This is a eal PITSA for promoters who want to give customers the correct "Show" and "Color" and not have to give them a long paper instructions for them to change them all.
  16. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I have asked this question many times also.
    I assume the track "points" are turned into waypoints, that then get a flag.

I have played with a software package that can cut down the number of points in the track before converting it.
    I also think base came gives you that same option. Then I guess you just need open that new route (converted from track) and use the eraser feature? Major PITA and time consuming.
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    The points you are seeing are Via Points. You can adjust the number of Via Points used when you convert the Track.

If your routing doesn't require any via points you can remove all but two - usually you will need some via points in a Track to Route conversion. BaseCamp doesn't pass Blue Flags any more, at least not on my GPS's.

Cheers,
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I understand your pain. The issue is as you discovered and I attempted to articulate. MapSource is based on GDB data and communicates with your GPS using GDB data (Garmin proprietary). There is no standard GPX attribute for this information. GPX specification allows for anyone to create Extensions to any of the GPX data Types. Garmin has created Extensions but not one for "Show on Map".

I encourage you to post in the BaseCamp-Win or Mac :evil Garmin Forum requesting this feature. I have requested it of the Montana team. Since there is currently no GPX Extension definition for "Show on Map" I don't expect to see this anytime soon - although the Montana Team did indicate that they had given it some thought.

Cheers,
  19. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I'm planning a long multi day ride. I sometimes have the need to join tracks. Under "Advanced" option is the option to join tracks.

So, I have a route from A to B and another from C to D. I want to join together at B & C, (they are usually real close, ending one and starting another), how do I keep the straight line from A all the way over to D??
  20. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: