Mysterious travel cylinder, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Rasmustur, May 12, 2013.

1. Rasmustur

Rasmustur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi experienced travelers,

I have seen these pictures in a touratech travel catalogue of these special travel cylinder for tool, water etc. placed either underneath the exhaust pipe or uppersite the exhaust pipe(or both:evil)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas of there to buy these cylinder? They are shown in a Touratech catalogue of world travelers but Touratech does not sell them:thwak
    I would very much like to bring these on my trip to Norway this summer:rilla

Best Regards
    Rasmus
    Denmark
  2. ken_the_carp

ken_the_carp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Visit a building supply/hardware dealer, I believe it's ABS plumbing fixtures.
    Ken
  3. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    PVC pipe, one with the screw in cap and the second with an expanding plug.
  4. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Welding rod holders also work well but aren't as sturdy as ABS. Another advantage to the homemade ABS tubes is that you can make them any length you want.
  5. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
  6. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
  7. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    The ones in the picture are ABS pipe from any hardware store with a cleanout glued on one end and probably a cap on the other. Remember if building your own, PVC glue doesn't work on ABS.
  8. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Make sure you match up CPVC or PVC or ABS glue or whatever material you're using.
  9. Manventure

Manventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like everyone else has said, that is ABS plumbing. I have a tool tube on my bike made of 4" with that exact same screw cap that you show in your pictures. I also have a few of the tractor manual holders on my quads and dirt bikes.

If I knew what they called Home Depot in Denmark I would send you there but whatever your local hardware store is should be able too help you.
  10. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would suggest you use a simple slip over end cap rather than the threaded caps . . . . . . my thread caps would, if left along for a week or so, need a wrench to open them . . .

since one of mine has the first aid kit in it, tools should not be required ;-}
  11. Rasmustur

Rasmustur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for all your input. Will find a local hardware store and ask them to help me:D
    Maybe I will buy two of the tractor tubes and mount on the crash bars:lol3

All the best
    Rasmus
  12. Ricky Chuck

Ricky Chuck She's heavy but I love her

Oddometer:
    I have to say the lids do come off my tool tubes much easier than the pvc ones I have made in the past, plus the o-ring seems to work well on preventing leaks. I did end up just using large SS hose clamps instead of the integrated bolt slots, though. If you put your items in a plastic bag or pouch, then work it into the tubes, you can leave them on the bike and just pull out the pouches when you stop for the night, nobody will steal those green logs, lol. I did notice the lids have a low percentage habit of loosening up, but I just check them daily. One could apply some gorilla duct tape around them for heavy-duty riding cases. Be prepared for "retro rockets" jokes, lol.
  13. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have experienced prices in denmark, i would go for a little ride across the border to the nearest german hardware store if i were you!

also, if its like in England, they wont like to sell you less than a 2 or 3m length of soil pipe, so if you have some friends interested club together and make 5, or sell them?
  14. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    hey rasmustr,,, i dont know what you might call them where you live, but when you go to the hardware store you will be looking for a clean out cap or plug, and a female adaptor.
  15. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    threaded inspection cap, in England
  16. DaymienRules

DaymienRules Traffic target

Oddometer:
    You're saying touratech hasn't found a way to make abs plumbing tubes with a logo available in their catalog, for the low price of $119.99?
  17. gonzomup

gonzomup ChainGang Recidivist

Oddometer:
    I'm sure they already have. Only problem is their manufacturer has them on backorder. :lol3
  18. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    PVC pipe with a cap glued on one end and the screw cap on the other.

When I made this in preparation for my trip to South America, I had two concerns, security and altitude change.

The lock is the short cable you can see in the picture. I drilled a hole through the square piece on the cap but since it is hollow inside, I packed some plumbers goop in there that hardens to keep the moinsture out. Then took it down to a local cable store and they made the short cable with the eyes on each end. Padlock one end to a bar on the frame and the cap cannot be turned a full turn while locked.

Since I would be experiencing some dramatic altitude changes (as it turned out sea level to 16,000 feet) I was worried about being unable to open the cap with those dramatic pressure differentials. Also worried that the pressure differential could pop out that plug that I filled the square part of the cap with. My Pelican Cases had the same problem and were fitted with a little pressure valve. Contacted the Pelican people and got a valve from them.

Worked like a charm.

Edit: I do carry a large pair of pliars in my side bag. Only used them once to get a sticky cap off. Most of the time a firm grasp on the outside rim of the cap opened it right up.

[​IMG]
  19. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    problem with the welding rod holders is they aren't water tight in really heavy rain. I imagine the John Deere document holder would have the same problem. Cheap and easy though and I just keep a tool roll in it and let it dry after heavy rain.
  20. Superfish

Superfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I do carry a large pair of pliars in my side bag. Only used them once to get a sticky cap off. Most of the time a firm grasp on the outside rim of the cap opened it right up."

I have one I made that is exactly like that. The hole is also useful to put a screwdriver or similar rod in and use it as a lever to open the top.

sorry forgot how to quote.