Rear ended by a cop

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Tuna Helper, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
  2. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bet you he was on his phone. I see that ALL time.
  3. LetItRoll

LetItRoll ForwardAholic

Oddometer:
    nice, so braking for things in front of you is against the law and inattentive driving is not? And riding in your lane (between the lines) is not ok if it is not perfectly centered? The officer was doing a pretty good job of making it up as he went (not).:1drink
  4. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats it?

This thing has been spreading like wildfire on several forums, but I just now watched the video.

Talk about an anti climax,
    What a bunch of nothing, from all the hand scrubbing and outrage you'd think the cop committed some crime against humanity.

Yeah, the cop was kinda rude and unprofessional, but other than that it was a total non event.

Getting the courts and media involved? Get over it for crying out loud.

Waaaaa...........he hurt my feelings.....I'm telling.....:tough
  6. Gonzoso

Gonzoso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cop caused an accident, albeit a small one.

He then used his power to intimidate a citizen into not reporting the incident and going on his way when he was in the wrong.

While no one was hurt, it saddens me that more people are not upset at the abuse of power. The government is here to serve the productive tax payers.

Police are the janitors of human waste, they should not play god and should not intimidate, injure, or threaten the innocent.
  7. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    WTF? :confused:

I am mostly with the "this is a nothing thing" crowd.

But Jesus H. Christ, why do a very small, select few cops go so far out of their way to be dicks.

It would have been so much easier to ask the rider if he's OK, apologize and get on your way.
  8. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    The bike almost for sure had damage and I imagine the rider was sore. The cop was totally out of line and knew he was in the wrong. The right thing to do was for him to call his supervisor and the supervisor get an outside agency to investigate. There was a car acting like it was pulling over with it's signal on. I would have been slowing down in that situation too. The rider didn't slam on his brakes.
  9. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im with you on that one. Yes, it was basically a non event. But the fact that the cop knew he fucked up and just used his badge to bully his way through it is bullshit. He should have enough integrity to realize his mistake instead of blaming it on someone else.
  10. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I count 205 snivel posts in the numerous other threads. :1drink
  11. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    The way I see it....

It seemed like the moto didn't at first see the car, accelerated, saw the car and braked fairly hard. Anyways, he seemed slightly erratic.

The cop was not paying attention and hit him from behind. NBD, accidents happen.

The cop, obviously startled, loses his cool and goes ape shit on the moto. If he can't remain calm in a fender bender, I think he needs to revisit his training. He is obviously out of control as indicated by his uncontrollable swearing. The moto was smart to try and diffuse the tension and get out of there. I don't blame him for fearing for his safety.

The cop acted like a total pig. He needs to prove he can change his behavior or resign for the good of the force and public. The moto should definitely report the incident to the authorities. If a cop can't handle that calmly, it seems as though he's in no position to handle himself correctly in a more threatening emergency.
  12. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would asked him to write me those tickets while I called the state cops
  13. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    The officer needs to be made to consider a career change. He wasn't even aware that he was being video'd. :eek1

So... what is a good helmetcam? Not fancy, just basic and reliable?

--Bill
  14. CRP6001

CRP6001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cop was aware that he was being recorded, at 1:41 he states
    "gettin' this on film? Cause I am." His arrogance is the most disgusting
    part of his behavior. The cop was changing lanes, merging behind the
    bike, and did not expect the rider to come to a stop, an easy mistake
    to make, but still a mistake. I get the impression that the cop expected
    the rider to be aggressive, cut the merging car off, and close the gap.
    Instead, he was riding conservatively and being polite to another driver.
  15. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    That's how I see it:clap
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :deal

Jim :brow
  17. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Ah, so he did. Missed that in his tourette's demo. Guess it's be a case of duelling videos...

The only thing I would fault the rider on is that he moved over into the right side of his lane (the outer lane of a multilane road) too often, which can give the impression that the lane is either unoccupied or can signal that the lane is about to become unoccupied. In stop-and-go or slowly moving traffic I tend to take possession of the left-third of the lane to show that it is occupied since that tends to be "the blind quarter" for traffic to the left lane. In faster moving or highway traffic I tend to move frequently between the left-third and the right-third of the lane, to stay in lateral motion to keep from blending in with the traffic, rather a SMIDSY move.

Not to nitpick, this is my style of riding awareness.

--Bill
  18. DR Donk

DR Donk Long timer

Oddometer:
    All I have to say is that if it had been the other way around, where a citizen had rear-ended the cop, who's fault would it have been? :y0!
  19. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    While how the rider was riding is technically legal - he was driving pretty poorly. You know the types, when you're in heavy traffic and you get stuck behind someone who just doesn't "get it" and screws up the flow.....that's how the guy was riding.....

None of that changes that that cop should be fired immediately and made to forfeit his pension for violating the public trust however. He's not fit to be any position of authority, never mind have power of death over life. :1drink
  20. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I agree. He screwed up and used the power that we gave him to intimidate the rider into not reporting the incident. It went from minor traffic infraction to a major violation on the cop's part.

...........shu