Heated gear hookup

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by bigdon, Oct 14, 2013.

1. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys I need a little help.
    I bought Gerbings pig tails to use on my 990. If the battery is down where I think it is these pig tails don't look like they will be long enough.
    Is there a place to get power from under the seat?
    How did you hook up your Gerbings gear on your 990?
    I could tear it down and figure it out but would like to have every thing I need when I start!

Thanks, Don
  2. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Longer wire for the pigtail????????????
  3. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    If you have an S or R model, you can use the fuse box location for the ABS module. There is also an aux fuse in the fusebox, but I can't remember if it can take enough juce for heated gear.
  4. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys I need a little help.
    I bought Gerbings pig tails to use on my 990. If the battery is down where I think it is these pig tails don't look like they will be long enough.
    I"ve done this and don't think you'll have a problem unless theres a specific place up higher than the seat you want the chord. The power chords may be of different lengths but don't recall. I was able to run wires (remove battery first to get room) out the left rear (as your sitting on the bike - right rear if looking at the battery and then up the left side of the air box. It reaches fine with length to spare. I keep it tucked to the left of the airbox until needed and can hang it outside of the seat when needed to hook up.

Is there a place to get power from under the seat? I was going to put in a fuse box haven't yet. I've seen them put in the ABS module location as stated, in the small glove box or at the back. Good if you're wanting other stuff to run on, but just the line to the batt. is the quickest if that's all you want.

How did you hook up your Gerbings gear on your 990? I have a double "rheostat" that I use that can modulate heat. I goes to the plug, then jacket to that, recommended or your hot or cold. At least a single. I also have pants, liners etc I used on my former ride 1200GSA. Not sure if this can handle to electric load but haven't tried all.

I could tear it down and figure it out but would like to have every thing I need when I start! As mentioned, unless you're putting in a fuseblock just run the wire and your set. I don't recall if I had the left tank removed or not but think you could stil do it. I'll try to get a pic for you tomorrow if you want.

When you run the wires, put the positive with the fuse over the battery and right side tucked in on the right. Sorta tight but not a big deal. Battery cable then power chord terminal over that. You'll have to bend the ends in a u shape at the front but again, no issues with mine.

T -
  5. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spliced additional wire on and ran directly from battery, with an inline fuse at the battery. Doesn't need to run through the key. I use the Gerbings controller zip tied to my left side mirror stalk. Depending on how much gear you have, the wiring to the AUX positions in the OEM fuse block may not pack it.
  6. jfink

jfink Can't get there from here

Oddometer:
    I wanted something that I could easily use my heated gear on all my stuff, so I went with a Powerlet connector, and a fuse system from Eastern Beaver (I went with the all three switched option).

[​IMG]
    http://www.powerlet.com/product/powerlet-socket-kit-12-harness/156

[​IMG]
    http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/3_Circuit/3_circuit.html

I installed the fuse block right behind the air box, it fits very nicely into the slot just behind the box on the right. No need to wire tie or anything, pressure keeps if fairly well locked in. I extended the hot wire by soldering an extension, then connected it to the battery accessory post right above skid plate. The ground fit nicely with no modification and attached to a frame bolt underneath the right (the one without the fuel pump) gas tank. I rode 27,000 miles around South, Central and North America with this setup and never had a problem.

If I had known this was going to come up, I could have photo’d all of this a few days ago when I had everything apart. But here are a couple of the finished product.

Powerlet installed in the side panel:
    [​IMG]

Fuse block installation with the wire running to the Powerlet in the side panel:
    [​IMG]

Of course you will need to modify your heated gear harness to use a male Powerlet plug, but that should be no big deal.
  7. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    I use a powerlet too, but after years of using this stuff, I like my connections where I can see em, so I used a Highway Dirt Bikes upper handlebar clamp to put the socket into.

This way I can wiggle stuff when the vest stops working....which happens every now and then. It's an easy plug in for the bar-mounted heat troller as well.

I highly recommend a fuse block on one type or another; I've been very happy with my Fuzeblock FZ-1, which I mounted in the glovebox. I've had to modify that a little to accommodate the snap-out from Rottweiler, but I've had no issues or complaints in 16,000 miles.

SA
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    The 990's have a great battery tap on the right side. It is also a battery jump start lug. I hooked the Gerbing pigtail directly to that and strung it low under the motor and up the left side. It will reach the crash bar above the countershaft sprocket. The Gerbing regulator kit then reaches up to the rear of the tank bag and your jacket. I can move the regulator to all the other bikes easy. Gerbing also has an adapter for battery tenders.

Don't use the accessory plugs or wiring. The wiring is very small and should'nt be used for more than 5A.
  10. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Hi Don!

I finally went out in the light drizzle to see how I have mine hooked up. :lol3 I ran a two plug wire from the Accessory socket on the front right side of the fairing to the handlebar clamp area. And another two plug harness from there into the glove box for the heated gear. I cut a small notch so the hook up cord can can be routed under the lid and attached to my tank bag. During the hot months, I just put the cord into the glove box. This wire is always powered, and I have a variable controller knob that has a wire from the glove box to the top left side of the dash. The reason for the junction at the handlebar is that when I had multiple motos and was doing a long trip on one of the other motos, I could plug in my battery maintainer into the plug in coming from the fairing.

BTW, I also have the power box "thing" for my Zumo 220 in the glove box as well, I use the ground wire from the heated gear wiring on the GPS and run a + wire directly to the accessory fuse. This way, the GPS turns off with the moto. I got tired of leaving GPSs on and draining my battery!

The heated gear is actually being powered by the hot side of the accessory fuse and the GPS is being powered by the switchable side of the same fuse.

Did a Saturday morning ride have anything to do with you getting a 990? :D Tell me about your new moto! :deal

I have a thread here titled "How long will a 990ADV last???". It is difficult to find out about high mileage issues with these moto because almost none have high mileage, or not at least measured by our riding styles. Mine is doing well at 34,000 plus, I did have the issues present when the fuel filters are stopped up and I added a couple things to KTM's PM list, but other wise the moto has been very reliable! A lot of useful info has been added to my thread, plus some links to other threads with info.

The ADV performs very well in Mexico! :clap

I'm glad you have that 990, you never know when I might need a tire! :lol3

Donnie
  11. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Donnie,
    I have been lusting for a 990 for a long time but was concerned about all the bad press they get. But, almost everyone that rides one just Loves it.
    A friend of mine had this White 2010 with 3500 miles on it that he was selling. I bought it and have decided that I really like it.
    I guess my 1150 will be the odd Duck that has to go.

I took off a pretty good set of Scorpions to put more aggressive tires on it so I have a spare if you are in need!

I'm going to tear into the bike Saturday and hook up the Gerbings,heated grips, and change my Gps wiring. I'm also putting a Scotts Stabilizer on it. I guess I'll have to keep it now!
    It puts a Grin on my face every time I ride it.
    Drop in and see us on the way through.
  12. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    They certainly do that, don't they! :D
  13. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW, in case you are still using the stock seat, the Seat Concepts kit and a sheepskin cover make a substantial difference.