New Speed Triple or New CBR1000?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Johnny Dakar, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Johnny Dakar

Johnny Dakar Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer:
    Mostly road riding, but there will be track days. And a bit of commuting. I'm an old feller. Top speed isn't that critical to me. Grunt and acceleration is.
  2. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speed Triple R with Arrows 3 into 1 and Fly screen with visor. ABS is available as an option if desired.

I've looked long and hard at a Street Triple R with this set up... it would be plenty for me.

NFE
  3. n8dawg6

n8dawg6 krunkin'

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't think 2 seconds before I got the speed trip. I would even take a street triple over the honda in a heartbeat. they really are some of the best machines out there, IMO.
  4. Roam

Roam If you want to

Oddometer:
    How important are the track days? OTOH having high sided my beautiful R6 at the track there's a lot to say for a cheap dedicated track bike. I'd prefer the Triumph for the street.
  5. HighRiver

HighRiver taking the checkered

Oddometer:
    Speed Triple R all the way. Ready for all you can throw at it straight outta the box!!!! Read the specs on it!!! :deal
  6. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    What? No belly pan?
  7. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Belly pan... just adds weight and makes changing the oil a pain.

Of course, I'm not on the track, but I'm not sure that the device offered is much more than cosmetic.

Would the pan contain the engine's contents if it tossed a connecting rod?

But, I wouldn't berate you if you added one...

NFE
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

The Triumph pan ...hell no, its more of a side cover for the exhuast pipe. LSL makes on that is fluid containing if I remember right.

Not sure what that would be an issue, I've not seen a track day that requires a fluid containing pan, that is more of a race thing. Of course, that varies org to org.
  9. Johnny Dakar

Oddometer:
    I just like the way it looks.:lol3
  10. 9secondsflat

9secondsflat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You really going to put a Triumph against a Honda in terms of reliability???? I would not trust a triumph out of sight from a dealer or a person who can work on one...a Honda....gas, oil and go for 100-200k all.. day long
  11. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I own a 07 RR, so I am prejudice. The lightweight refinement of this bike is awesome. Never fails in any category. Being 68 years old, I added Helibars and 1 inch lower pegs. I can do 150 miles with no pain.

If you want lower end power, you need to test ride this bike! It will have you thinking of new words for the english language!! Good luck with your search.
  12. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:

And this statement is based on what exactly?
  13. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    Hey Johny,

You really can't go wrong with either of them so it comes down to two things...personal comfort and most importantly, which one makes you go "SCHWING!!!".

Personally...Triumph, but i'm prejudiced owning a Tiger and a Daytona :lol3

Also, if you don't mind a suggestion, have a look at the Honda CB1000R. My brother absolutely loves his. Great bike, smooth as all getup and plenty grunty.
  14. desmoface

desmoface Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are we talking the cbr1krr, or the cb1kr? I really dig the cb1kr, and it's a closer match to the speed triple than the cbr1kr.

Steve
    05 st3
    00 sv6fity
  15. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Given the cash outlay for the R model of the Street Triple vs. the standard Speed Triple, I'd probably lean toward the Street Triple R with the low Arrow pipe. But I'm more of a middleweight guy.
  16. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ftfy
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That line is almost as outdated as the often parroted line about Harley Davidson's

Between these two bikes I would go with the Triumph (without a moments hesitation)

p.s. Our resident expert on reliability bought a KTM :rofl

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766651

(I hope you get it sorted and running with a minimum of difficulty and/or expense)
  18. uraberg

uraberg whosaberg?

Oddometer:
    You mistakenly think that new triumphs are similar to older models in the sense of reliability. My Sprint is turning into the most reliable machine I've ever owned, with the miles stacking up, and nothing but fuel, oil filters and tires needed.
  19. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would take the cbr1000 over the speed triple because it's faster, lighter, better handling with better wind protection. Naked bikes are kool and all but for me in the real world sport bikes make better everyday bikes. The sport riding position has never been a problem for me either (better than my 1050 tiger) and I'm old.
  20. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought that the OP really meant the 2011 / 2012 CB1000R vs. the Speed Triple.

The CB1000R is a naked bike with the (2007?) CBR1000RR motor detuned for the street. It is in the same 1-liter naked class as the Speed Triple. However, it is NOT lighter than a Speed Triple and it is not faster. Of the two, I would also choose the Speed Triple.

If the OP really meant the CBR1000RR, then it is a whole different story. It is also now an apples vs. oranges comparison: a state-of-the-art 1-liter supersport vs. a modern classic 1-liter naked.

On a personal note, I live in the Pacific Northwest and due to our climate, I really like some wind & rain protection. To me, a Street Triple R with the old Sprint 900 Sport fairing would be perfect. Modern Supersport fairings give some protection, but not a lot. And while some of us like the "sport" riding position of full-on sport bikes, many find the position too extreme for distance riding (400 miles plus, per day). The Triumph Daytona 675 is really extreme with a high tail section and a small fairing cross-section. Hence, my desire for a STR with a half fairing. But many folks don't care for expensive plastic. So, pick your poison - sport vs. standard; fairing vs. naked. Let's just be sure which two motorcycles we are comparing here.