Yamaha Virago 750 / XV750?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Kiba, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Kiba

Kiba Dances With Huskies

Oddometer:
    Quick question. I picked up a Yamaha Virago XV750 the other day for practically nothing, completely original, from the original owner, with the original title. Not running, but for $100 who cares?

The bike looks like it was daily-ridden and well cared for, then left in the garage for about ten years. Needless to say the battery is gone and the carbs are dirty. Just over 49k showing on the odometer.

It's really not my kind of bike, but because of the originality and condition it's in, I'd really like to fix it up and use it as my beater/hauler. It looks like the kind of bike that could eat up miles with low maintenance- shaft drive, solid-looking cast wheels, big tank, low redline- but can it do that? I'm happy to spend time and a couple hundred bucks on a bike that cost me next to nothing if it'll be a reliable scoot for long drives and commutes. Otherwise I'll just part it and make a few hundred, honestly.

Also, the cruiser thing just isn't for me. If it'll suit my purposes, I would at least want some normal bars on there, and a flatter seat if possible. Anybody here done that? I've seen dual-sported and cafe'd Viragos but I don't want to chop this one, just change the ergonomics and ground clearance a little if possible.

Pics to come :D
  2. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Cool Adjacent.

Oddometer:
    The earlier 81-83 Viragos were easier to set up as "standard" style bikes. You could fit an XV920 tank and flat bars on them and have a pretty good long distance scoot. The early motors had poor starters, much like the XS650 design. The later bikes with the separate solenoids fixed the grinding of the old system. You can retrofit the newer left hand cases and starter to the older motors.

Other than that, I haven't heard anything radically wrong with the basic motor design. It's a pretty low-stressed motor.
  3. zokalr13

zokalr13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just do a quick restore job [get it running] and then move along so someone else can turn it into a bobber ...:huh
  4. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Try to find the Joe Minton article named "Vitalizing the Virago" from (I think) the January '88 issue of Motorcyclist Magazine. It covers exactly the steps you're considering.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    The link to the above mentioned article can be found here: http://www.viragotech.com Third link below the ARTICLES heading on the left side of the page.
    They also have a good forum, though members are slow to respond at times.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.