1993 Yamaha GTS1000

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by SalMaglie, May 29, 2008.

1. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Gimp rider

Oddometer:
    Hope I'm not jinxing the deal, but I'm picking up a 1993 Yamaha GTS1000 tomorrow. It's a strange bike, but then I like bikes that are different. The 15 minute test ride I did around suburban streets last weekend showed the steering from the weird front end to be a bit heavy and vague, but the stability and unparalleled braking power were incredible. I purposely aimed for bumps and other road imperfections and the bike just soaked it all up.

[​IMG]

A somewhat rare bike these days since it was only imported for 2 years, it was Yamaha's flagship sport-touring bike when it first came out with a BMW like price tag of $12,999. The RADD front end designed by James Parker was supposed to revolutionize motorcycling, but it just didn't catch on. Although steering lock distance suffers with this system, IMO it's the superior braking stability and power that is the genius of this design. The detuned FZR1000 motor has plenty of power and torque to get the job done. Having adequate passing power will be no problem, something my 2003 Triumph Speedmaster doesn't have.

I'm already finding out how rare aftermarket accessories can be though when I went looking for Givi racks and found out they're no longer made. Luckily it comes with the Superbike handlebar risers. It also comes with a Corbin seat that'll need to be re-foamed and re-covered.

I'd been looking at newer FJR1300s and the Bandit 1250S before coming across this bike on the local Craigslist. Insurance quotes for the newer bikes scared me off when I was getting prices ranging from $700-1200 per year, but I was relieved when my current carrier told me $200/yr for the GTS1000 with full coverage.

I don't know if this will ever be a collectible bike, but it is possible. There's already one on display at the Barber Museum, and there was one in the Guggenheim's traveling show. But I didn't buy it for that, I bought it to ride. This will be my once or twice a year vacation touring bike, and any long day rides I want to take. If the 200+ mile shakedown ride this weekend pans out, I'm going to Gunnison, Colorado next month for the 15th anniversary rally for the bike.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  2. blacksan

blacksan Rev Limiter

Oddometer:
    Coool Bike!!!!

My local dealer and I have a long history and he let me ride his demo when it first came out. Way before it's time like the TDM 850 (IMO). Go for it and enjoy.:clap
  3. D-Mac

D-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. I really like that thing! With hard bags it looks like it would be an excellent tourer. How many miles on it?

Please send more pics when you get it to the rally.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Beautiful man!:thumb

More pics when you get it!:lurk

Jim :brow
  5. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still miss my 94 GTS. Nice bike!
  6. bill pierce

bill pierce I don't wana pickle

Oddometer:
    They are a great bike. I bought a FZR1000 in 93, super strong motor. Too bad they didn't continue to make them. You will love it!
  7. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Gimp rider

Oddometer:
    That's my first project, get some hard bags. The bike has a little over 30,000 miles. I got a glance at the maintenance records. The first owner was very thorough with his record keeping and the folder showed it. The 2nd owner bought the bike in 2000, but said he hadn't put that many miles on. It was on a battery tender, which is not a common site around here. He also has a Ducati S2R1000, and said he prefers to ride that.

I think I'll post a ride report when I get back from the rally. I'll take my time going and split it into two 375 mile legs, riding the Devil's Highway(191 through Arizona) with a stop in Grants, NM, and the Million dollar highway out of Ouray the next day. That's a lot of scenery and a great ride for the 2 day trip up there.
  8. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 On my Way...

Oddometer:
    You'll learn a lot from the GTS guys at the rally. The 10th Anniversary Rally was great! Just don't listen to ANYthing Shawn P. says...:lol3

I love mine.

[​IMG]

I considered selling it awhile back, but I'm glad it didn't sell. :D

You CAN still get the mounting kit for it, and any Givi bag will mount.

Get on the GTS1000 maillist. There's a LOT of info there, and in the Archives.

Enjoy!!
  9. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yoo hoo I sold the Guzzi!!!

Glad you kept the GTS though!
  10. zed88

zed88 n00bilicious

Oddometer:
    After I saw this one I put this bike on my list of ones to own in the future. So many cool things about it!
  11. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Gimp rider

Oddometer:
    No pictures for now as I have the fairing pieces off so i can do some maintenance(all fluids flushed and replaced, plus I put on the new left turn signal the PO hadn't gotten around to doing). I did take it for a 100 mile ride yesterday from Tucson to Sonoita and back. Amazing how stable this bike is at 80 mph down the interstate. It felt better passing 18 wheelers than the FJR I rented. Through the curves the front end still feels a bit vague, but I think it's just something I need to get used to. A new set of tires wouldn't hurt. Haven't heard too many good things about the Michelin Macadams that are on it right now.

The trip to DMV for the title change and new tags was a pleasant change. Only $40 for a 2 year plate instead of the usual $100+. Between that and the cheap insurance, I think I'll stick to buying older bikes from now on.
  12. SalMaglie

SalMaglie Gimp rider

Oddometer:
    Finally had a chance to take a few pics after having all the fairing off while doing some maintenance on the bike. Took a ride over the hill to Saguaro West National Park and just shot a few in a parking area for hikers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won an ebay auction for a set of Givi racks, probably overbidding, but I don't know how often these discontinued racks are available. I flushed the radiator and added new coolant. Just got some speedbleeders in the mail yesterday and some DOT 4 fluid, so next up is the brake system and the clutch fluid. Also installed a Vista cruise throttle lock, and a bar end mirror on the left side that just velcros on until I decide on a more permanent solution for my mirror problem. I can't see anything behind me with the stock mirrors due to the handlebar mod that was on the bike.
  13. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Didn't see any more suitable GTS 1000 threads and didn't feel the need to start another, so I'm reviving an old one.

I guess they all look the same! About to head out for first ride on my newest addition:

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  14. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    Didn't someone race one of these in WERA or something? I seem to remember they called it Shamu or something.

Found a pic of a GTS racer...

[​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  15. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
  16. WIDELOAD

WIDELOAD Bunburyist

Oddometer:
    As can be seen from the name on the fairing it was raced by Steve Linsdell. A similar machine with the same rider and sponsor was ridden to 8th place in the 1994 F1 TT race (for those who care the average race speed was 112.83 mph)

Attached Files:

17. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Put about 150 miles on her today (twice what she's done over the last 4 years.)

First impressions:
    • A nice ride, very stable at high speeds
    • Corbin seat is most comfortable and bars are at a good height (I feel like they could be a touch higher but then I am used to a BMW GS and DR 350 so it could be just me getting used to it)
    • Engine very quiet but my helmet is right in the noisiest part of the slipstream. Need to do something about that
    • Mirrors give a clear, blur-free view at all rpm - shame it's a view of my elbows!
    • There is almost no storage space. Will have to add a rack and top-box or something if I'm going to carry more than the factory toolkit and a sandwich around with me
    • Getting access to the rear brake fluid reservoir and the front bleed nipple is a pain in the ass! - Requires removing bodywork - I've never had to do that before
    • Rear brake pulses like it has a badly warped rotor. I mistook this for the ABS working when I test rode it. While flushing the brakes this morning, I cycled the ABS and it does not appear to function correctly
    • Slightly high idle and a bit snatchy at very low throttle - could be a function of old, stale gasoline
    • Rear Michelin Macadam is like new but front is badly cupped, noisy and a slight vibration at high speeds seems to indicate it's out of balance. Thinking a new Pilot Road might be going on there soon.
    • The bike had been stored with alcohol-free fuel and stabil in the tank but I am pretty sure it can't have had more than a couple of gallons added in the last four years. Now on second tank of Chevron in 24 hours but I haven't put any injector cleaner in yet
    • Everybody who saw it was very impressed - hard to believe it's not new
    • Apparently nobody cares that I'm riding around with no license plate. I must have passed at least a couple of dozen police today and none of them paid any attention
    [​IMG]
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  18. omnivore

omnivore SuperSportTourer

Oddometer:
    One of my dream bikes. Not enough money or garage space though.
  19. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Getting on well with the old girl. Around 500 miles so far. She's now fully legal with a license plate and all.

Ride is like a magic carpet - very smooth and the power delivery is almost perfectly linear. She's not blazing fast but certainly deceptive. This would be an easy bike to get a ticket on. Had a nice ride out with friends on Sunday. Starting to get comfortable hustling her round corners but 1998 front tire was not inspiring confidence so a Pilot Road 2 is now installed.

Clutch slave is leaking slightly and piston looks corroded so that's another chore. Engine, however, is oil and coolant-tight and is not making any smoke or strange noises. Idle and pick-up getting smoother with each tank of fuel. A bottle of injector cleaner no doubt helped here.

Have to go and finish putting the bodywork back on now, so I can take her out again to scrub in the front tire :D
  20. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    I seem to remember some high wear items on the front suspension. Bushings or something.