I got a new kind of tail rack for my DRZ400S, would like feedback

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by losi3030, Feb 27, 2013.

1. losi3030

losi3030 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got my new tail rack done and installed for some pictures. Check it out, I made it tapered for a more modern look than what has been available and it is pre drilled for Rotopax. Also has a removable sissy bar. I would love to hear any feedback.
  2. losi3030

losi3030 n00b

Oddometer:
  3. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rack looks ok, but that sissy bar thing on a dual sport bike I would have to pass on it. Looks like you can either leave it on or take it off, that's a good thing. I see you are a NOOB so we will give you a little time to be cool. Welcome aboard, I just had to raz you a little.
    John
  4. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rack looks nice, but no sissy bar for me. You've got to use a hosting site like photobucket, smugmug or such to post pictures. Takes a little time but worth it.

Sarah
  5. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit

Oddometer:
    The sissy bar would be a good option for someone who wanted it... don't think there's gonna be a lot of takers though. Rack looks great. Nice price too.

John, with a handle like that, you're either representing the craft or a foamer... and neither really scream "cool". :lol3

Don't ask how I know.... :uhoh
  6. losi3030

losi3030 n00b

Oddometer:
  7. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your right, a model railroader, I model the D&RGW Narrow Gauge in Colorado and New Mexico. One thing about riding dual sport bikes is that it gives me the pleasure of enjoying both hobbies when exploring Colorado and New Mexico. Been doing both for a long time, 45 plus years and still enjoy it.

John
  8. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Given how many times I have been smacked in the ass by my enduro bag that big sissy bar looks like a really bad idea. But the rack looks pretty good.
  9. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I'd ever have one on my bike, but that sissy bar looks like it would be perfect for a Motofizz tailbag: http://www.aerostich.com/motofizz-camping-seat-bags-small.html . The 4" tall one wouldn't be quite as intrusive but would make a good handle for picking up/retrieving a bike off the side of the trail... 2 1/2"-3" tall would be even better for this.
  10. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    As others said, the sissy bar on an off-road bike = bad idea. Also, your attachment point at the bolts that holds the seat on is a PITA as well. A rack that mounts to the rear frame is much easier to deal with.

Like this one:
    [​IMG]
  11. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

copy the image URL, click the yellow "mountain" rectangle in the editing window (below), paste the URL

[​IMG]

Perhaps you could make the sissy bar optional?
  12. losi3030

losi3030 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah the sissy bar is optional, and removable when not in use. I wasn't too sure how it would go over, but I got enough requests for it that I decided to give it a try. It will probably go over better on a Vstrom or KLR because some of those guys like the GIANT sissy bar bags that Harley folks use. Thanks for all the feedback, it really helps.

I see what you are saying with the frame mounting points, I just stayed away form those points because I have some side racks that already use the same ones. Nice rack though!
  13. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Neato. :deal

I dig the radical sassy bar.