2015 KTM 690 Enduro R seat build Rich Phillip Leather

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by STLGSRIDER, Feb 18, 2015.

1. STLGSRIDER

STLGSRIDER Wingnut Enduro

Oddometer:
    I know I have not posted a whole lot here on this site but I have decided too let people see an inside look as too what I put in too building a custom saddles of my own. I know there is a lot of debate as too who makes the most comfortable seats. In all reality there is no perfect formula too making a comfortable seat for every rider, it is an art. You Need too listen to your customers. Take in too consideration what they feel would be best for them height wise padding wise and seat covering wise. There is no seat in the world that will still feel wonderful 800 miles in or so. But there are options too make it hurt a lot less. Now an alternating pressure pad would work amazing but so far there is no such thing for bike seats. When you butt starts too hurt after riding for a while its partly due too the blood not flowing to those areas properly which rejuvenates the area with nutrients in the blood. Another problem comes from mastication of the skin, this happens when sweat builds making your skin soft and easier to break down at the pressure points. a material that breathes can help with this, such as leather and suede. Ive sat on vinyl seats and they just don't breathe as well. As far as trying too find something that cuts down on pressure point, I've tried almost everything, including a seating material called supercor that is used by jet pilots when they are on missions for long periods of time, this however did not satisfy me. I've tried different kinds of foam and gel pads that helped but didn't really address the issues that I was having. I went back to the drawing board and thought about how even a chair made of hard wood that has a somewhat butt shaped dip can still be comfortable. So i decided too make a gel pad that was molded similarly to the shape of butt cheeks and as it turned out it has been the most comfortable thing for my ass so far. I also have many customers in the Saint Louis region that would agree. I have worked locally with Gateway bmw to serve the riding public. so anyway here is some pictures of the seat I built for my KTM 690 R. i didn't want my seat shorter or taller I just wanted it flatter so i am not sliding forward and I wanted one of my gel seats in it as well. I had a R1200Gs that I had one of my gel pads on as well and I rode it on a trip to Colorado with virtually no comfort issues. I don't get to ride as much as i'd like but when I do id like to be comfortable. I widened the seat from 7.5" to 11.5" and it feels great
    [​IMG][/url]seat on bike by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]Stock Seat by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG]Me on stock seat by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rfAwQN]
    [img]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8644/16574087702_52c9e895cf_z.jpg[/url]Seat apart by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG]Width by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [​IMG]New width by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Bum Hug Gel by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Seat all foamed by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Cover all finished by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Done by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Detail by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [​IMG]All done by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Left side by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Backside by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    [​IMG]RIght Side by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
    This new seat puts me in a perfectly neutral seating position and is very comfortable
  2. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, outstanding! probably the nicest custom seat mod ive ever seen for a motorcycle. :clap
  3. STLGSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much
  4. STLGSRIDER

Oddometer:
  5. STLGSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Here is a seat I did for an r1200gs that I sewed the gel pad in too the seat cover. If you are intristed in a cover like this I can send you one shipped to your door for 250.00. You would just have to staple it on

[​IMG]Camera Roll-2124 by Richard Phillips Leather LLC, on Flickr
  6. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice, i would be, except i just recently bought a seat concepts, if i would've seen this before, i could've even sent you me seat pan to do your thing, awesome stuff, that 2015 ktm690 enduro R is :thumb btw.
  7. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I like what you are doing. Looks like quality kit. Keep it going.
  8. 1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Should've taken a left turn at Albuquerque

Oddometer:
    I had a 690R. The factory seat looks awesome on the bike but it's awful to sit on. A custom seat is a MUST on that bike! Yours looks like a cushy option...even if it sacrifices some ability to move around on the bike when standing and riding in the dirt. It's worth dealing with for sit down comfort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. STLGSRIDER

Oddometer:
    The factory seat is about as comfortable as sitting on a railroad track.
  10. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ummm, so like is the 690 seat for sale or something? :D. Looks great what would a similar seat cost for a bit narrow seat build for the 690?
  11. STLGSRIDER

Oddometer: