Sell your vehicle -remove your ADv stickers

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Saltbox, May 21, 2009.

1. Saltbox

Saltbox WTF is this?

Oddometer:
    So I have been enjoying giving and receiving the ADV salute, lots of fun. Last night I'm crusing down the highway when I see a white ford explorer ahead and low and behold it has a FYYFF sticker on the rear window, yeah its fun time. Of course I speed up and manuever over to the right lane, pace the vehicle so that I am right next to the driver. A little toot on the horn to get his attention, and then give him the salute. WOW, wrong reaction, this guy is pissed. He immediatly slows down and gets right behind me. Now he's close, not to close but he's beeping his horn and saluting me over and over. Fine, I move over to the slow lane and get ready for my exit. This guy does the same thing, and gets off at the same exit as me. He follows me for about a mile and then starts flashing his lights like he wants to pass, so I move over to the side of the road, so does he. WTF? So I stop, so does he. He gets out of his vehicle and walks up to me,with a brisk pace. I got off my bike and moved so that the bike was between me and him. Did I metion that this guy is HUGE. His fists look like canned hams.
    He proceeds to rant and rave about fucking motorcycles, and why did I flip him off, calls me a fuckin smartass that needs to be taught a lesson. I try to defuse the situation and ask him what kind of bike he rides, from his looks I 'm guessing a Harley. He responds with I would never own one of those fucking death traps. So I ask him why he has the sticker on it, as I point it out. He is like WTF does that mean? I show him the same sticker on my bike and explain what it means. At this point the guy busts out laughing, apologizes to me for riding my ass. He says that it is actually his wife's car and I've just explained why motorcyclists keep saluting his wife. Seems the guys wife actually complained to him that for no reason motorcycles where flipping her the bird. He had just assumed that his wife was a crappy driver and probably had done something to deserve it.

So if you sell your ride, take the stickers off. Some people may not be as understanding.

:beer
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  2. FILLETI

FILLETI mild asphalt allergy

Oddometer:
    Milwaukee = Beer, Cheese, Cold, Slow Bikes
    :rofl
  3. HillbillyNinja

HillbillyNinja Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :rofl
  4. Northwoods Yeti

Northwoods Yeti Almost house broken

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Nice!

I say leave them on..! It's good for a laugh or a beat down.:rofl
  5. Gray Dragon

Gray Dragon Geezer rider

Oddometer:
    That's good.
  6. Tall Man

Tall Man Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?

Oddometer:
    If the stated behavior of the Explorer's driver is considered "understanding" (and this is exactly what your closing sentence suggests), I'd hate to cross paths with someone who was not as understanding.
  7. TonyA

TonyA beta tester

Oddometer:
    Congrats! You've just invented a new Adventure category, and new Worry Bead. :rofl
  8. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    That is hilarious! :lol3
  9. Elvis70

Elvis70 No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer:
    And nobody got their head unscrewed.:D
  10. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke █║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  11. Louv

Louv nerd with knobbies

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there are other people in the world that know the meaning of FYYFF. Including a friend who had it as his license plate back in the early 90s. I'm fairly sure he didn't ride adventure bikes.

:norton
  12. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crap that is funny!
  13. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Great post! :clap
  14. mcstark

mcstark Living brappy...

Oddometer:
    Oh shit that's great!

I have a 6-year-old so there's no FYYFF sticker on my bike, but I have a few other ADV stickers on my Zegas and the Dakar guy on my helmet. I have no desire (just yet) to explain to my son what FYYFF means.

Great story...I needed that laugh today.
  15. Scalpel 3000

Scalpel 3000 Proficient Scootering

Oddometer:
    This brings up an important question I've been meaning to ask, since I haven't found an answer by lurking.

When can I put an ADV sticker on my ride?

Is there some sort of minimum requirement of adventurousness to achieve before I can safely show that I'm a member?
  16. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    :evil :evil :evil

[​IMG]
  17. Saltbox

Saltbox WTF is this?

Oddometer:
    My feeling is, that if you go to the effort to buy and apply the sticker, then you need to accept what comes along with having the sticker. A nice friendly salute. If you don't want stranger's saluting you, then don't put the sticker on.

Hi Sam my name is Mark.........:fyyff
  18. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Love it. Totally made my day. :freaky
  19. matloik

matloik kludge

Oddometer:
    Since you have to ask, you are not ready. You will know when you are ready -- it will be an epiphaphy of mild religious proportions -- and thereafter you will not have to ask for permission to use an ADV sticker.
  20. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I neglected to mention that I go around putting "ADV" and "FYYFF" sticker on people's bikes just so FF's like us will salute them. :lol3