Basecamp issue

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by levain, Sep 1, 2012.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably basic for some of us:eek1

I just got a new mac. I've been successfully using basecamp on my old Macbook. No problems. I download Basecamp onto new computer. Hook up my zumo. Basecamp quickly recognizes it and starts doing its thing. Awhile later, it tells me to unplug zumo, which I do, and now CN North America is not there! Europe is, but not NA. The maps are on zumo, they just aren't making it into Basecamp.

Help!
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Let me see if I'm understanding you correctly:

You installed BaseCamp v4.0.1 and then connected your zumo (?). Then without you doing anything you saw a BaseCamp popup that told you to unplug your zumo - and no other information or indication that anything was happening?

Cheers,
  3. levain

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help. I have NA maps on my zumo and just happened to have Europe maps onthe sd card. Wheni plugged my zumo in both NA & Europe were there. When I unplug zumo, European maps are in basecamp, but NA are gone. For some reason only Europe uploaded to basecamp.
    I can use the NA maps, but only when zumo is plugged in.

Confused?
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    BaseCamp only "reads" the maps on the device when it is connected. It does not upload the maps from the unit to the computer. If you are seeing the CNEU maps in BaseCamp when the zumo is not connected then you have previously installed those maps on the computer.

Cheers,
  5. levain

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm, I guess I vaguely remember having to unlock the maps for CNNA way back when on the other computer. The fact that EU is on this new one is weird though. Now, what did I do with the unlock code?????

Thanks
  6. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder how many of us have asked ourselves that one??? :lol3
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    I register my maps at my.garmin so it's an easy "get unlock codes online" button press in BaseCamp.

Cheers,
  8. levain

Oddometer:
    Alright, I didn't realize that I did, but hey, I checked MyGarmin and there's my unlock code. You must think I'm pretty thick, and you'd be right:lol3

Mygarmin.com says my maps are unlocked, but they still aren't. Well, they are on my zumo, but not on Basecamp. As soon as I unplug zumo they go away. They're on my other mac whether I pug in the zumo or not. Maybe, I need to call Garmin. I basically can't do any routing without plugging in zumo. That sucks for obvious reasons, but also because it means everything is on the gps and not stored on my computer. Kinda lame really. There's probably a box that needs to be checked (A joke about the software we recently installed at work-ass backwards unless you do it "just right").

Oh, the other thing is that when I try to "get unlock codes online" it asks me for Unit id, Device Serial Number & Product Key/Coupon Code. I don't have this Product key/coupon Code. It's not the Unlock code. Maybe, that is my problem??
  9. levain

Oddometer:
    Soooo, my drama continues. I just got off the phone with Garmin. They can't put the maps on my computer, because they are out of date. I was considering an update, but didn't because I didn't want the update on my GPS. I need to buy the dvd for new maps since I don't have the old on my new computer. My new computer is a macbook air with no dvd drive. My only option at this point is to purchase an external dvd drive and the new maps. It's 2012. Garmin is going to have to make all this rigamarole easier on the end user, or they're going to go the way of the dvd:lol3

On a related/unrelated note, is there a program for people like me (ie: not too smart) that seamlessly, in an idiot proof manner, converts google maps to gpx? Yep, I've seen some of the conversion sites. They seem too complicated. Maybe, I just need to spend more time with it..