Anemia After Knee Replacement

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tedmarshall, Sep 13, 2012.

1. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8 weeks ago I underwent successful total knee replacement. I took my KTM 990 ADV out once when I had a post-op spurt of energy. But ever since I've been so tired that I haven't had the hunger to ride. For me that's like Sophia Vergara not having the hunger to...:eek1...well you get the point.

I've been back to work at the office now for three weeks, gassed when I get home at night and on weekends.

My surgeon said it wasn't normal, call my GP. My GP told me today I am anemic, my blood/oxygen level is down by 1/3d.

I gotta give another blood sample this weekend to compare to baseline, but nurse said start eating iron-rich foods and take a daily iron pilll.

Seems like good news to me, at least I know what's wrong and it should be easily corrected. But I hope I get my zing back before the riding season is done.
    :1drink

Ted
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Just stick with the doc's plan and you should perk right up,congrats on the new knee,I could use one.
  3. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Be careful with that iron pill for too long. Too much iron in men seem to lead to heart attacks.
    I'd keep working with that doc to determine when, if ever, you can stop with the extra iron.
  4. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds like you get to spend allot of time in steak houses...
  5. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Liver and onions, Yum

:dg
  6. JonU

JonU Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had post op anemia after I had a hernia repair. A good diet and iron supplements will take care of it just fine. Then you can ditch the iron supplements. My mom is a dietitian and told me not to worry. After a few weeks I was good to go again.
  7. tedmarshall

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a mild off-road excursion on my KTM 990 ADV. I'd forgotten how fun getting sideways is. So it's been 9 weeks since the total knee replacement. I just kicked the anemia and it seems I've got my mojo back.:1drink
    Thank god.

Ted
  8. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    9 Weeks post-op, post rehab, post-anemia and tossing a 990 sideways...

Impressive!
  9. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
    Good Luck with that. I'm experiencing something similar, but hopefully I will be riding again at the end of this year on a brand new 1190:D.
  10. Lefty23

Lefty23 Trekker

Oddometer:
  11. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    9 wks good on ya! I had both done a month a part , 3 months off work, light duty for a month. When I did go back full time I was spent after 4-5 hours at work. left early for about 1 1/2 months. So if your throwing a 990 around after 9 weeks you're doing great. keep it up.

Jg.
  12. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Cook in antique cast-iron skillets... you'll get your iron, and have good food.
  13. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    your kidding yourself if you think taking an iron pill for anemia is the answer.you have or had a leak!your hemoglobin shold be in the 13.2 to 17.0 range.
  14. tedmarshall

Oddometer:
    Well I am finally riding dirt well again.
    I had knee replacement last July. Basically lost an entire riding season.
    I eased my way back starting last fall with some challenging road rides.
    But I realize now that I had been steeling myself for the sadness and disappointment of not being able to ride hard anymore, ride enduro.
    I would hear myself telling people I couldn't stand on the pegs anymore because my surgeon said so.
    I ride a KTM 990 ADV.So I was bummed. But then I started riding dirt again a little at a time. Every week. Then last week I began some baby hillclimbs, some mud, some deep rail ballast. All of a sudden the old me returned. I must have burst thru some psychological wall. My sight actually changed. It was like a re-birth.
    Then yesterday and day before I returned to riding on the pegs, the way you need to on the 990. Voila. It felt like before. I'm sore today. But I know I Can still ride. But it took me a year.

Ted
  15. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Congrats, Ted.

There is no bettter thing than working our bodies up to where we want them to do what we want them to do. Even if you're challenged for endurance or the total time you'll be able to ride after recovery, it's still better than never having tried to push yourself.
  16. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And risky. It takes about 12 months after a replacement for the bone/joint interface to reach full strength. Your bones are somewhat flexible and the joint is solid. That concentrates stress when force is applied. It may feel good and your muscles and tendons may be tight but the bone is not at full strength. Bust it and your fecked. The ortho may not be able to fix it right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2