Harley Softail Slim

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Zanotti, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Zanotti

Zanotti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looked at one of these and was pleasantly surprised. I like the old school look, and it looks easy to ride.

I recently sold a Triumph Bonneville and am looking for an easy to ride kind of mini bike for around the neighborhood.

I dont plan on going far on this just simple trips. I dont really buy into the whole Harley culture, but I am not opposed to the machine either.

Any thoughts for a day triper?
  2. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Softails are the best looking harleys and the slim is a really kool bar hopper. Very kool local rider good for some weekend (or longer) rides.
  3. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    I really want to get one and lace up some an 19f/18R wheel set to fit some TKCs. A bike that long and low would be a blast to drift down dirt roads, and it would look mad max and mean with some dirt on it, in denim black.
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind the bike only leans 24 degrees to the right and 24.9 to the left. Coming off a Bonniville you will likely grind the primary before you even leave the parking lot. :deal
  5. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope not the primary but floorboards/pegs will touch long before the primary does.

I have an 08 Heritage Softail and it is an excellent all around bike. Seeing as the Slim is even more stripped down it would work fine in the city or short hops.

I like the HD bikes, but don't even own one of their T Shirts and never really bought into their whole culture thing. I ride in the rain & where full ATGATT, including a full face helmet so I don't really fit the mold.
  6. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    A 700 pound mini bike?:lol3

I grant you that it looks very nice, but I'm working on a 2000 Softail standard, and it's the most unwieldy thing I've ever had in my garage.

How about a Triumph Speedmaster or America?:wink:
  7. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    Speedmaster/America bikes are so very good and there as so few who even consider them. A real riders cruiser.
  8. Clint Taurus

Clint Taurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to the dealer to buy one in May but just didn't find myself liking it better than the Fat Bob I rode in on. Then I made the mistake of testing a new Road King. 10K miles on the RK since May
    The "Slim" would be good for the use you described.
  9. doggrell3000

doggrell3000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dear forum

the 2013 harley softail slim is the best all around street bike ever designed . i will be buying one soon ( january or february ) . the softail slim has a great modern engine excellent handling and will last forever with proper maintenance . i could take the 2013 harley softail slim across the country or just down the street for groceries . i am looking into installing foot controls and floor boards at the middle of the bike instead of too far forward . i believe this can be done even on the 2013 softail slim . this bike is what harley is all about in my humble opinion .

doggrell3000

[​IMG]
  10. NHADV

NHADV Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The slim is great looking bike and would make a good starting point for a comfortable bar hopper. On the other hand it's a softail so you could put many miles on it comfortably. I have been into Harley's my adult life but caught the Adv bug about 5 years ago. I understand the Harley culture comment but like anything there are a lot of great people riding every bike out there. Yes some of us watch too much Sons of Anarchy! Take the slim for a good test ride and see what you think.
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    :huh

.......24? Thats it?
  12. Zanotti

Zanotti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny how all things like this change. Yes, my early bikes were little things like a Yamaha 125 enduro. Now to me even the 700 cc BMW's seem small.

When I was a highschooler, I rememeber getting a ride on a Honda 750 four. I was amazed how fast it would go and how large it was. Today, they seem small.

What's with Harley and these huge primaries? My BMW (R1150R) is wide on the top and narrow down near my feet. All the Harleys have a huge primary, right where your feet go and make a wider stance necessary.

I sat on a Road King, liked it, but between the total weight and the splayed legs when stopped, I thought I wouldnt like it much.

This Softtial Slim is low enough that it doesnt matter, but its still a nusinece.

[​IMG]
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Big twin Harleys aren't unit construction, the transmission is separate, and a 3.37:1 ratio.
  14. PMC

PMC riding rider

Oddometer:
    I'd see if you could rent one for a day and do a day trip to try it out. You may really dig it but you may think what the hell was I thinking.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    My touring bike is a big HD and it's a fabulous for what it is. I too don't subscribe to the HD culture and could really care less about the ideology they sell but the bike is pretty good.<o:p></o:p>
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

p.s. Nope sorry no mid-control option. :deal
  16. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    So, Why wouldn't you choose a Super-Glide, pocket $2500 and have a PROPER rear suspension?:deal

[​IMG]
  17. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    I'm no expert on the softails but have two friends who owned them and hated them for long distance. Basically they said they felt the rear just didn't have enough travel. Maybe they've been improved over the last few years, but I think those advising you to rent first are smart. You might also go on HD forums where you can explore a bit. Just my 2 cents.
  18. doggrell3000

Oddometer:
    dear dakez

yes . you are correct - the optional mid controls are not offered for the softail slim . mid controls are offered for a few other harleys . so i am hoping that an inventive mechanic could somehow adapt mid control parts made for other harley models to the softail slim . is this a difficult and impossible modification ? i will investigate further . thanks

doggrell3000
  19. doggrell3000

Oddometer:
    dear scrannel

on long distance trips coolness and style are much more important than comfort . as a harley rider passes other bikes and cars the passengers always exclaim " look ma , that guy is riding a harley . he must be really cool " . seriously - there must be a dozen after market mods to improve the rear suspension of the harley softail slim . i will investigate further . anyway my fat ass has a built in flab pillow .

doggrell3000
  20. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want mid-controls Buy a Dyna. If you want to laugh because your bike is FUN... Buy a Dyna. This year you can get the FXDB from the factory with 15 different paints, 4 different Bars, 4 seats, light or Blacked out 96" or 103" engine, 4 different wheels... Basically order it the way you want it from the MoCo and it arrives in about 4 weeks.

If you want a cool looking boulevard cruiser that doesn't turn very well with retro styling that makes you smile Buy the Slim.

You can have foot boards or forward controls on the Softails. NO MID.