Buying a Used GPS questions...

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by lacofdfireman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am looking at buying a used Garmin Zumo 660 with a Touratech anti vibration mount for $550 from a guy and he doesn't seem to know much about this unit. Says it came on a GS800 that he bought used and has had some final drive issues and needs to sell the unit to pay for repairs. I asked him about if the GPS has been registered before and if it has lifetime map updates or anything. He had no clue about either. Should this worry me? He claims the GPS is in perfect running order with no issues but doesn't know if it's been registered before.

So if it has been registered before how do I go about registering it under my name? And how do I find out if it has the lifetime map updates? And would they be transferable to me if it does?
  2. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Um... the 800 GS is chain drive, so I don't know what kind of "final drive issues" it could be having. Makes me wonder if this guys is on the up and up.
  3. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    :nod

And Lifetime Map Updates are not transferrable per Garmin. Some people say they have had success in doing some updates, but it's not what the license says when you buy them.
  4. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You will most likely need to get his login information, user id and password, on the Garmin site to continue to be able to get map updates.

You could try this with a new account and see if it works. I would make this a condition of the sale as without updates it is basically worthless. Price seems a bit high.
  5. rustycager

rustycager Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds a little fishy but not real strange.

Garmin can try to contact the person registered. If they aren't reached they will transfer ownership.If you can get the serial number they can check it. I just did this with a 465t that I use on my bike.

They told me if mine was the LMT I would be able to still get map updates but YMMV. Since it's not I'm stuck with the garmin 2010 map and OSM on the card.

If you were local I know a shop with the harley road tech version of a zumo 665 that you could grab for $400 otd.
  6. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Run Forrest, Run !