A Long Weekend in Montana With My New V-strom

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by swampy86, Jun 12, 2013.

1. swampy86

swampy86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BEEP BEEP BEEP! BEEP BEEP BEEP! I've never been so happy to hear my alarm clock. It was 5am on Saturday and time to get ready for work. I only had to operate one flight back to Denver and then I'd be off work until Wednesday. I just recently bought a 2008 DL650, and had been looking forward to riding it all week.

A quick flight to Denver later I was off duty and sprinting to catch an 8am flight to Bozeman. From there I drove to Dillon, my hometown and where I had stashed my new bike. I plan to bring it down to Denver, but there's just too much good riding in Montana to be in any hurry for that trip.

By early afternoon I was on the V-strom and headed to see my brother and his wife in Lolo, MT. I only got one picture on Saturday because I was having too much fun riding! From Dillon I rode highway 278 through Jackson and Wisdom and up to Lost Trail Pass.

Lost Trail Pass
    [​IMG]

On Sunday we spent the day on the Bitterroot River. The weather was beautiful, the fishing was great, but the catching sucked. :D

Bitterroot River
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rowsie Dog
    [​IMG]

When Monday rolled around I took off early for Dillon via roads less traveled. It was a brisk morning as I rolled southbound down highway 93 and up Lost Trail Pass.

[​IMG]

I continued on 93 from Lost Trail Pass down the North Fork of the Salmon.

Not a cloud in the sky...
    [​IMG]

Salmon River
    [​IMG]

From Salmon, ID I continued to the little town of Tendoy and the start of the Lewis and Clark Backcountry Byway.
    [​IMG]

Just a couple miles up a well maintained gravel road lies Sharkley Hot Springs. [​IMG]

For a mere $3 you can soak in these 104F hot tubs. Since it had warmed up nicely to about 85 degrees, I elected to ride on and head for the cooler temps of Lemhi Pass.

Beautiful View!
    [​IMG]

Lemhi Pass looking towards Idaho
    [​IMG]

...and towards Montana
    [​IMG]

Old Horse Prairie Homestead
    [​IMG]

Just a short ride down highway 324 and I was nearing home
    [​IMG]

When I made it home Monday afternoon my trip meter showed 440 miles, not a bad weekend and it's not over yet!

On Tuesday, I rode up the Pioneer Scenic Byway to my secret fishing spot.

Maverick Mountain
    [​IMG]

I hiked into one of my favorite spots to fish, but it was super windy in the meadows. After catching a few fish and myself several times I gave up! Oh well, it was a good hike and I did manage to find some elk.

[​IMG]

I decided to ride into Coolidge, an old ghost town, but found a tree in the way so I hiked instead!
    [​IMG]

School's Out!
    [​IMG]

This cabin probably won't be standing many more seasons
    [​IMG]

Slight Drizzle
    [​IMG]

Near Crystal Park
    [​IMG]

As I rode home, I caught the tail end of a thunderstorm that had just passed through Dillon. I got a little wet but nothing serious.

As I sit here typing this I'm back in Denver and heading to work soon. Thanks for reading, and I hope you guys enjoyed it!
  2. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Indoor plumbing in Montana?? :lol3

Great thread! More please!
  3. swampy86

swampy86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Montana indoor plumbing! Yeah, that sounds about right! Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. After a year of lurking and enjoying other ride reports it's nice to be able to give a little back.
  4. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR. Love the rolly bag strapped on the bike. What are ya flying? I'm on a Falcon 2000LX.
  5. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

nice RR! nice Strom! thanks for sharing
  6. swampy86

swampy86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah my drybag hadn't shown up yet, so I was forced to strap my luggage works to the bike. Not the best option as it weighs about 20 pounds empty! I'm jealous of your Falcon. I'm on a Beech 1900. GPS, what's that?! :D
  7. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great weekend there! Montana is beautiful! Thanks for the report.
  8. ttr

ttr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great bike and great report!
  9. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear ya man, I flew a Shorts 360 for years, vor to vor, and the dreaded NDB approach.

The Strom is a great bike, and you get to ride in a beautiful place.
  10. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    great looking bike. Looks like a fun ride as well.