Why buy a Harley

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hapbob, Feb 10, 2013.

1. hapbob

hapbob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Talk me into why I should buy a Electra Glide?
    Could be last real motorcycle.....may stay with scooter next or trike of some kind
    I'm getting old.
    I'm listening
    Hap
  2. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    Hap, I can't tell you why you should buy an Electra Glide because I don't know you. You say that you're getting old....what does that mean? If, like me, you're in your 60s, that's not so old if you take care of yourself and keep in riding condition.

An Electra Glide is a heavy bike. You need strong legs and arms to hold it up, especially if there's someone on the pillion. Nothing you can't do, provided you keep yourself strong by exercising.

I ride an K1200LT, also a heavy bike. I'm in good shape, but starting to consider going down one weight class to an R1200RT similar bike. I ride long distances, two up. If you ride solo, or don't do long rides, a smaller bike would be fine. A Honda CB1100, a Triumph, or many other bikes. It depends on YOUR circumstances.

Older joints need comfortable seating arrangements and ergonomics. Find the bike that best fits YOU.
  3. Zanotti

Zanotti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. They are better built than people say.
    2. You can choose to adapt or spurn the lifestyle.
    3. Dealers are everywhere - my BMW dealer is 90 miles away, my Triumph 23 miles away.
    4. About 15 Harley dealers in this range.
    5. You dont have to run straight pipes, you can keep the mufflers.
    6. EFI: They start and dont leak oil.
    7. The switchgear is well made, fit and finish exceptional.
    8. I kind of like the sound and feel.

Add yours......

Z
  4. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    The easy-bolt-on-custom-crap is ubiquitous and awesome.
  5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's an excellent question, Hap

and it's one that only you can answer. If you want one, and are confident that you can ride it, there really aren't any reasons not to.
    They're really outstanding bikes, and if you plan long rides and want all day comfort there's a fairly small selection to choose from.
  6. chadhargis

chadhargis Too tall for sportbikes Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden a couple of Harleys. I'm not a cruiser guy, but if I were going to buy a cruiser, it would be an HD. They are very good quality motorcycles, and they have that "mojo". They just feel right for the intended purpose.
  7. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm not either.... Well, maybe I should say that I didn't used to be. Not until a couple months ago when much to my surprise I decided I might enjoy a H-D. Then last month my lovely bride to be surprised me with one! :clap

But yeah, much to my surprise it does seem to be a very well put together motorcycle and I'm enjoying it a great deal even though it is a different experience than what I'm used to in a motorcycle. But, like shoes, I've always believed in a variety that suits different purposes. I've never been a "one motorcycle" type of guy though, since I enjoy too many different things to expect one bike to satisfy them all. But, that's something you have to decide for yourself. If you think that a H-D will satisfy your desires, then there's a very good chance you're right. Take a test ride and find out for yourself.

Zanotti made some very good points too. :thumb

:1drink
  8. EdM

EdM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hap:

May I suggest this:

- Go to the "Day Trippin" section here on Advrider
    - Look for the "FBAD; Life on the Blue Ridge" thread

The fellow (Fast Ferris) who started the thread rides a Road King rather than a Glide but everytime I view some of his wonderful photos I think H-D should put him in charge of their ad campaigns. I suspect if you are already interested in a Harley that will erase any doubts.

Ned
  9. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    If you buy, get a 2009 or later ... significant chassis changes.
  10. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are not all bad.
    The Road Glide is arguably the best for long trips
    As said, they are built pretty well. You won't get 100k plus mile on one (like a Wing) without major expense.
    They are fun and recognizeable anywhere.
    Get one, ride for a while and get something else.
  11. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Low seat height is a good thing for aging limbs!
  12. Clint Taurus

Clint Taurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've said it before and will repeat...for a fat girl she's really lite on her feet.
    I'm partial to the Road King but the Electra Glide is the same thing only with more stuff.
    Have you gone to the dealer for a test ride? It only took me about 5 miles to know the RK was the bike for me.
    I put 1000 miles on mine the first two weeks I had it. turned over 12k in 8 months
  13. MT950

MT950 "OLD" Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hap, Not too much $$ to rent one for a day and put 2-300 miles on it! Give you an idea if it's for you!! I'm in my 60's ride a Road King, and Fat-Boy(softail) with hack! Harley's are easy to maintain, repair parts everywhere, good dealer support(if you ride a newer model) ! Best of luck!! Ride safe!!
  14. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can think of no reason not to buy one. If you are looking for a full dress touring bike, you really only have 3 to choose from. I'm 53, but with severe arthritis. I ride a '95 Goldwing 1500. I would trade it for an ElectraGlide in an instant. I love the great looks, sound, feel, and simplicity of the Harley. I don't wear a pirate costume. The BMW is completely different from the Harley or the 'Wing. It has low bars and rearset pegs, which put a lot of stress on my arms, legs, and neck. More of a "sport" tourer. Frankly, the only reason I don't have an ElectraGlide is because I can't afford one.
  15. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    to me the only hd is electra glide

never had one

always liked them

don't know why

will have one one day

cheers

u want one get one
  16. chiefrider

chiefrider Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer:
    Hap, get the best bike in the world.

It's the bike that you love to look at and go riding on.

Tom in Salem
  17. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Harley's have soul.

They are okay in the city, but really shine on trips. The one's from '09 are very nice, and especially the 103 engine. Runs down the road so effortlessly and relaxed. They truly have all-day comfort. If those things are not important to you, than H-D may not be for you. But, as you are thinking of one, you'll probably love it.
  18. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell I'm 31 and really appreciate the comfort of the road king. The weight is up there, but it really really makes going down the road easy. I kept coming back to hd for a few reasons.

1) the feel. They are heavy, and you know it. They are solid bikes. They shift solidly, the switchgear is the best in the business, and the torque is all there.

2) simplicity. My Sportsters were very simple. An engine, wheels, and a seat. Then I'd add bags to make them useful. My road king is the same. A engine, wheels, and bags. Cold weather brings out the windshield. Wife adds a sissy bar. Weekends add sissy bar bags. It's still just the essence of a motorcycle.

3) value. My first sportster put 2k$ in my pocket on its sale. My second about $750. The road king stands to be even better, but I see no reason to sell. If you look for a deal (believe it or not some harley riders aren't the best with their money :wink:) you can make somebody's day buying it from them, then make yours when you sell it.

4) my wife really loves it. Need I say more?:clap
  19. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You say you are "getting old" So I would say you should NOT buy a bagger. They are nice bikes but they are big and heavy. Buy a Dyna Fat Bob instead and put some bags on it.
  20. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dad visited a Harley dealer last year. Met a guy in his late 80s who bought a new Electraglide. The guy said he wanted new, not used, because "he needed it to last a long time."

I don't think you're THAT old.

Weight isn't that much of an issue. Just keep it pointed upright and you're all good. Worst that happens is you fall over. They you get a couple young fellas to help.

If you're wanting to do something before it gets too late, do it.

Cakeeater