I think I'm in love!? (SuperDuke 1290!?!)

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by PeteN95, Nov 9, 2012.

1. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. danny4744

danny4744 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :y0!
  3. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:
    :tb it looks like it will have a better riding postion and i hope better tank size
  4. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty cool, but something has to be done about that rear fender.
  5. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    :freaky

I'll take one please.

[​IMG]

EIMCA should have the full details on Tuesday. http://blog.ktm.com/

We will see how it compares the the Ape V4 T, my current favorite.
  6. Minimike

Minimike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why do the even bother with the back seat? If they aren't going to design a realistic back seat, why not just put on a small cargo rack behind a solo seat?
  7. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    That thing is badass like Daryl Dixon. :wink:
  8. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    The RC8 isn't 1290cc; it's 1190cc, to fit into the literbike racing limits. I'm sure this engine would be closely related to that, but is not the same exactly. A minor point, but true.

Like a lot of things (including that rear fender), it's government-mandated stupidity. Bikes with two seats have a lower import duty than single-seaters for some reason, so a lot of bikes that are functionally single-seaters get vestigial passenger perches to reduce the bill to the taxman.

PhilB
  9. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know what the displacement of an RC8 is, that is why I said a 1290cc RC8 motor, not just an RC8 motor. It is a big bored version, likely with milder cams, but more torque, a lot more.
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doubt you will ever see it in the US, not after KTM nearly had to give away the last of the 990 SD.
  11. No Degree

No Degree Blah Blah Blah CSM FFs

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly. KTM is still producing the SD in an R version for Europe and other parts of the world. They just don't sell it here because they know better.
    Anyway, I think an 1190 version would be fun (especially in an SM-R) but the single sided swing arm looks a little bulky. Soon we'll know.
  12. Pork-Chop Express

Pork-Chop Express Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm desperately hoping they do bring them to the States. Part of the reason they had to give away the 2008 models is because the recession had just hit the US and demand for all big bikes and any other type discretionary income toys went away. Big naked bikes certainly aren't as popular in America as Europe but I think KTM will want to have some representation here with their flagship street bike. They'll probably only bring them over in small numbers though so I don't expect to see any deep discounts on price.
  13. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bringing them over and giving them away is one of the only ways to build a brand like KTM in the US market.
    If they brought these over and basically wholesaled them, it'd do a lot for the marque in terms of taking it from being a dirt bike brand, or an invisible brand for American buyers who only see 4 or 5 brands on the road, to having a serious place in the market.

The SD is a phenomenal bike. Nearly everyone I know who has ridden one or ridden beside one is unable to forget it. The trouble is there just aren't enough of these bikes in the North American market to spread the Austrian gospel.:norton
  14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it that way, kept the price down for me. :D

[​IMG]
  15. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Sadly I bet It's a dead horse for import. The Big problem for KTM is much the same as aprilia, the US has such a poor dealer network and much of that is due the poor Importer to Dealer level development, quality/retention and sound business model/practices. KTM has no street model dealers near me where we previously had a couple very competent, involved, long time shops. They either told KTM to take their shit and leave or just kept the off road models. piaggio/aprilia has their own twists and turns, but basically same type of issues. These bikes are fantastic, but no or very limited dealership access doesn't provide for sales regardless the product and it cost way too much to certify a motorcycle with no expectation of return on that investment. I hope I'm proved wrong, but it is much the same as certain offerings from various OEMs in Canada that we don't see here and they are North America certified.
  16. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM wants a ton of money from dealers to carry the street line. Think they wanted $15K for the honor of selling RC8s.
    Which is why there are none sold near me.

But then again, they wouldn't replace the water pump seals in my SD either. Swearing that they were not leaking when I knew they were. So maybe it's for the best.
  17. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    most harley dealers will rent you a bike for the day, and if you buy one they credit you the cost of the rental.

The harley demo fleet has 4 hour test rides first come first served for free, free gas even. Hell of a deal. You do a 4 hour on a road glide and you will NEVER look at a harley the same again. It is one fine ride. Very fine.

Link to the demo ride program

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Try_a_Bike/demo-events.html

Rod
  18. No Degree

No Degree Blah Blah Blah CSM FFs

Oddometer:
    I don't understand the relevance of this post to this thread. Harleys?
  19. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah, I will buy a harley instead of a superduke:rofl

ktm street dealers are harder to find these days. I think they will bring the SD here. much better chance than one of those new <600cc thumper dukes.
  20. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM street dealers are hard to find because there's not much point. Adventure, SMT and RC8 are it really. They throw the 690 enduro in as a street bike.
    I've ridden a SD, pretty cool bike for a hooligan ride. The SMT is at least 90% the fun with a lot more comfort. Ill be surprised if it shows up. Looks like it'll be a 2014 when the new Adventure finally shows up.
    If the new SD does make it here it'll likely be 15k plus and will set there until they have to give them away.