Lost Luggage - Tell the truth

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Bacon_Grease, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Bacon_Grease

Bacon_Grease Arrogant Bastard

Oddometer:
    How many of ya'll have lost luggage off the back of your bike? :rofl
  2. mwzl

mwzl mwzl

Oddometer:
    I lost a calculator that slipped out of the bag.
  3. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Not that I, personally, am admitting to anything. But I know this guy — not me, you understand — who lost the contents of his right sidecase somewhere in South Dakota, on my FJR. I mean, his FJR. The sidecase popped open and the bag should have been strapped in, but wasn't.
  4. Bacon_Grease

Bacon_Grease Arrogant Bastard

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had a buddy riding an old '85 Ironhead from San Francisco to Wilmington, NC back in the 96. Dumb bastard lost a tool roll, a jacket, a wool blanket and who knows what else on that trip. I've gotten better over the years, thankfully. I mean HE got better over the years...

Man, I miss that bike. Just not enough to buy another one...
  5. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lost a can of chain lube after it bounced out of my milk crate going over some rail road tracks.

I also lost a set of brand new harbor freight allen wrenches out of the same milk crate while I was inside a liquor store. I hope the guy that stole them rounds out whatever bolt he uses them on.
  6. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lost a top case. Luckily it did not contain anything valuable.

It was a cheapie Bestem, which didn't lock down very well because the mounting plate was warped.
    Now I know what it should feel like to properly lock down the (new Bestem) top case.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Never any luggage, but my tank bag popped off once!

Jim :brow
  8. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not luggage, but I lost a 2L bottle of Mt. Dew. Went for a quick ride to try finding it since I was thirsty, and in need of caffeine, but it was nowhere to be found.
  9. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lost a tent off an old suziki dirt bike.
    It was a good loss though. I was meeting with some friends and had an excuse to climb into a tent with a cutie.
  10. Mr Bags

Mr Bags Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in the day I went stealth camping in northern WI. Down a fire road than off on a trail . The next morning I went into town leaving my entire camp set up. Met up with some friends and did some trail riding . That afternoon I couldn't find the trail back to my camp .Looked for hours....Never did find it.
  11. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    I lost a Camelback off the back of my KLR the day I got it. The water bag that is.
  12. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    Lost a hard bag off my R100RS coming home late one night many moons ago, after a night of :1drink

Retraced my route the next day and never did find it...

Mike
  13. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    **off** [klay]

I use ROK Straps. I don't lose shit. :D
  14. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    I lost a six pack off the back of my XS1100 back in '82, after riding 25 miles from a town (Pottsboro, TX) in a dry county to get some brew, I guess it wasn't meant to be:1drink
  15. DaveStockwell

DaveStockwell Rock Fodder

Oddometer:
    Never lost a thing in 32 years but I have been accused of excessive use of bungy cords all my life.
  16. nulluser

nulluser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was camped out in the badlands. 95F outside, setup the tent and went off to the store for some beer, which is a decent drive. Just made it into the store before they closed and bought a 6 pack of some awful stuff. This was the mid point of a 2500 mile trip and I was heading back home the next day.

A mile or two from camp my hastily fastened 6 pack let go and it was a total loss. I could hear them dropping off a few at a time and exploding but sadly could not save them. :(

[​IMG]
  17. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    **Straps** [klay]

Haven't lost anything....yet.
  18. 65bellett

65bellett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first post may as well be an embarrassing one. The first first longish distance ride I ever did was on my cbr250rr at the tender age of 17. The back pack I was using some how came undone and I lost the entire contents I ran out of petrol and sat on the side of the road in the rain for 2 hours waiting for the R.A.C.V to come and fill me up :rofl

That was the beginning of a long list of disaster touring stories. Lucky I am older and wiser now:wink:
  19. D R

D R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I once left my tank bag sitting next to a fuel pump where I stopped to fill up at the end of that day's riding. Fortunately the service station was right next door to the motel I was staying at and I quickly ran back across the parking lot and retrieved it. The only thing of any value in the tank bag was my case with SDHC cards containing all my digital pictures of my trip up to that point.

I now place my tank bag on my motorcycle seat when filling up, instead of placing it on the ground.
  20. IgoFar

IgoFar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lost my debit card three days into a cross country trip. I left it on my dry bag after a gas stop.