Which camp stove to buy?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by longwaytim, Mar 29, 2008.

1. longwaytim

longwaytim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to buy a camp stove for the Strom, any suggestions??
  2. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at the same thing. The ones I like so far are the ones that burn any fuel. That way you can run normal pump gas.
    This is the one I've been considering.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=HnpW1RhVp0vP3dnmBN2227vGxDmTDLqRPrwh6L9QBHfThjvc6GKJ!-28948758?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442281897&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696549&bmUID=1206823254817

I need to ensure it is still a multi fuel, the add does not specify but most with the seperate fuel bottle are.
    One thing to watch is that a lot of stoves will not simmer. They will boil water all day long but don't like to be turned down.
    Good luck
    Rob
  3. wunlung

wunlung Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll need a really big stove to cook a motorcycle.:rofl
  4. wunlung

wunlung Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your trips will be limited to weekends in North America a quality butane/propane cartridge stove is mighty convenient. Longer trips or third world treks call for a good multi-fuel stove. You can't beat MSR for quality but simmering ability is very important. I own one of each type.
  5. KTMSTEVE

KTMSTEVE Glorious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guy,

Check out the Jet Boil system. It is completely self contained and it is the best unit I have found to date. I have taken it to Alaska and and take it camping any time I go out.

Cheers,

Steve
  6. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    You can spend a bunch more but the Coleman Peak I 442 dual fuel (gasoline or coleman fuel) will do the job. I will burn Coleman fuel or pump gas, is self contained and holds enough fuel for several days cooking. They ain't finiky. burn hot and simmer well.
  7. Perp

Perp Museum Piece

Oddometer:
  8. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Derty

Derty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Multi fuel stoves are cool and my new Jet BOIL is too:). The multi fuel units are very good but can be messy packing, etcetc.. The Jet Boil small gas cannisters don't last too long, but they make bigger ones! I will buy the bigger ones from now on:). I've found my multi fuel stove is best packed away without fuel in it, so empty it everytime for less smell in your bags! Carry the fuel outside somewhere on the bike. Multi fuel is good, but the generators will last much longer if you carry white gas, like Coleman Fuels,etc. and filter it. Gasolines have additives, not needed in your stove:). Happy Trails, Derty, over here, CA.:D
  10. SleazyRider

SleazyRider Desolate Loner

Oddometer:
    get an msr pocket rocket. it fits in your pocket and uses these little throwaway canisters u can get at any supermarket/camping store/hardware store etc. for $3-5. it just screws into the top. perfect. it boils water really fast. i got mine at dicks for $30.
    those little canisters are great. and as long as youre conservative with how you use them they last for a really long time.
  11. Itchykawa

Itchykawa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw instructions on a disposable one made out of old beer cans here on advrider somewhere complete with a how-to video link. Nothing to pack. It works great and you get to impress your buddies (and the ladies :evil) with your McGivor-like survival skills. Do a search.
  12. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you google for the Backpacker magazine reviews you will find all you want to know. Same goes for sleeping bags,tents and so on...
  13. djmase

djmase something catchy.

Oddometer:
    There is a MSR International...it pretty much runs on any fuel and pretty much only runs wide open throttle. I also have a coleman dual fuel, sportster II, very nice little stove. The coleman has variable speed, which is nice. Don't get too caught up in the whole Jet Boil and MSR thing...it is a lot of hype. Afterall, how long has coleman been making camp gear? I carry both stoves, and two 33oz MSR bottles of petrol. I can cook with it, and if I get in a pinch I can run the bike on it. It is pretty much win, win. Why anyone has a stove that burns a different fuel than their bike is beyond me.
    Cheers.
    ps got colemand at walmart for 35USD, on sale, and MSR at gander for 40USD on sale.
  14. jbim

jbim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have this one. I use it mostly when kayaking. Works well. Lite.
  15. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a Coleman backpack unit that will run on unleaded gas. Add a siphon bulb to the tool kit (should be there anyway) and you are set. :norton
  16. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trangia. Light, tiny, cheap, runs on alcohol. I bought this stove for bicycle touring but it packs so small (pot and non-stick skillet are part of the package) that I hate to use anything else on the motorbikes.
  17. Mr. Visible

Mr. Visible super dork

Oddometer:
    I love and have beaten on my MSR dragonfly. It has survived years of abuse. It will burn anything (almost), is light, very adjustable, and field repairable. The only donwside is they are not particularly cheap.
  18. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    Have had my Coleman 442 for over two trouble free years. A friend has had his over 10 years. No need to carry extra fuel, just siphon it out of the bike. I got the opptional draw top bag for the 442 and keep a 5 foot piece of 1/4" hose/tubing coiled up in the bottom of the bag for when I need more fuel.

[​IMG]

What I like best it it still works great in cold weather. Has never let me down and alway's makes good for that 1st cup of coffee in the morning.
  19. swjohnsey

swjohnsey Banned

Oddometer:
    The KLR of stoves.
  20. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer: