1981 Honda C70 Passport bought today!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by txsizzler, Jan 19, 2013.

1. txsizzler

txsizzler n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, just happened to be browsing through the local Craigs ads, and happened upon this, just as it was posted moments before:

[​IMG]

So, I called him up, asked several questions (mileage: 5520. Condition: Very good, has minor cracks, front fender needs replaced, front tire low, battery needs replacing, but starts right up! Title: Clear, ready to go! Asking price: $250 ( :eek1 )

Anyhow, he lives about a mile from me, so I went on over there, and brought over my tire inflator. Sure enough, it was exactly as described. He had been doing some spring cleaning in his garage, and saw the bike just sitting there (hadn't moved in over a year). So, he tries to start it, nothing with the electronics. Kick starts it, starts right up!

Well, I inflate the front tire (put some air in the rear as well), take it for a spin. The brakes will need adjusting (barely stops when fully engaged). The three shift up deal was weird to me (I ride a Suzuki Savage 5 speed also), especially given its clutchless. Still though, the bike was an absolute hoot to ride! I did notice the petcock leaking just slightly when open... will probably have to replace it (looks like about 10 bucks on fleaBay).

Anyhow, $250 dollars later, I have it in my garage now. Here are some pics I took of it at home:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    simbaboy likes this.
  2. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    cool find
  3. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loved mine, got me all over an island in Greece. When others had no way to come and go, I always knew my scooter would get me around the island. Of, course I probably only weighed 140 or 150lb back then. Great ride.
  4. GinoXB

GinoXB n00b

Oddometer:
    Great bike at a great price! Congratulations! They are built like tanks. Probably the toughest bike ever built.
  5. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the sweet find!
  6. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Too bad the PO cut off the legshield.
  7. Starbuck21

Starbuck21 Manly scooterist!

Oddometer:
    Great find! The seat and muffler are probably worth the price you paid for the whole thing!!!
  8. PinkSteel

PinkSteel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've owned two Passports, and currently have one with a Lifan 125. It's the scooter that started my whole family riding. Bulletproof, easy to maintain, plenty of parts and aftermarket parts. Dr.ATV.com has everything you need, and the Yahoo Passport Group is very large and lively, with answers and files for everything.

The C70 needs a good battery to run, or you'll burn out every light on the bike, starting with the headlight. The starter motors rarely work, and nobody fixes them - because the bike kickstarts so easily. Replace the tires with Michelin Gazelles - and I have gone up a size on front and rear.
  9. txsizzler

txsizzler n00b

Oddometer:
    I will be ordering a new battery tonight. I tried charging the old one, and it had just enough juice to power the headlight (dimly), and the blinkers.

I will also be ordering a new petcock. Got the old one off (leaky) drained the fuel tank. The tank has some surface rust on the interior. So, I will be taking care of that, too. Brakes still need adjusting, and the front fender to be replaced. All in all, very exciting!
  10. slowlane

slowlane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the Passport acquisition. They are great little machines that can be incredibly addicting. I absolutely love my '82 C70 that I bought about seven years ago, also for $250, and have since ridden over 27,000 miles. With a little maintenance, that Passport will last a very long time. Make sure you check the oil level regularly. I cannot stress this enough. Mine was run low at some point before I owned it and many internal engine parts were in very poor shape. In a testament to the machine though, the Honda still ran really well even though internally, it was dying. It looks like someone went nuts on yours with some beige paint. Also it appears that they flipped the front turn signal mounts, as the brackets should point down instead of up. Your seat looks to be in amazing shape though, which is unusual. Good luck and enjoy your new Passport.
  11. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way to go. I used to own one of those, bought nearly new. I wound up selling it because of the clunky transmission and lack of power. In hindsight I realize I made a big mistake. The Passports were real Hondas, made in Japan in the Honda factory. While others disagree, to me the quality was a lot better than, say, the SYM Symba. I checked out the Symba, as a possible way to replace that Passport, and found it's build quality to be pretty chintzy and flimsy in comparison. Not putting down the Symba, just saying I thought the Honda was higher quality and more substantial. You should be able to get all the parts you need to restore that one.
  12. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    I do believe they are the highest production motorcycle ever made with 21 million plus made over the years. I m guessing 100 years from now you ll still be able to find the parts you need because of that. Did one couple take 2 of the clones of these for a 3 year trip around the world? SYM clones?
  13. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    They are the highest production vehicle of any kind ever.

14. txsizzler

txsizzler n00b

Oddometer:
    So, are any of the newer Cub's parts interchangeable with the 1980/1981 models? I realize the 12v/6v difference, but what about other parts?
  15. Mikegigabyte

Mikegigabyte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice find and great price
    I got mine I think $900 cant remember

look at dratv.com for most of the parts
    then check e bay and compare prices
    I get 99% of my parts from dratv but sometimes the shipping is too high for single orders

points are fun bikes
    at least they are emp proof:D

luckily both bike I have that are points work great although I changed all the parts on my ct90
    left the passport alone

but if the timing is off it will lack power so if you can handle it just throw a timing light on it and check

there are issues with the electric start not working all the time, the relay
    there is a guy on a yahoo forum that sell a easy to install relay
    even though you can find new china relays I guess its a wiring problem in the bike or something so the kit this guy sells bypasses something
    I dont know all I know is it works all the time now
    check tank for rust, and check carb
    I had good luck with a new carb from dratv ran much better
    think thats the only engine part I replaced everything else is stock
    oh I did add one tooth larger counter sprocket

here is mine
    [​IMG]

when I got it
    [​IMG]
  16. txsizzler

txsizzler n00b

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty bike you have there. Love the blue color. I am removing the fuel tank to clean out the surface rust on the internal part of the tank. I will have to replace the fuel lines, as they have become rather stiff.

I have ordered a new petcock, battery, starter control switch, NGK spark plug, and have bought some chain lube. Will look at the points next week to see how they are fairing.

Later, will add a leg shield, replace the front fender, and look at repainting the bike. Not sure of the color I would want to go. Hmmm..
  17. scottro

scottro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an '81 Passport. I put a 140cc Lifan motor in mine. it's scary fast, but fun. I tried keeping the 6v battery and lighting system, but it's kind of a pain, so I'm switching it over to 12V. The motor's 12V. Regulating it to 6 V for the battery and lighting system keeps the batt charged ok, but seems to either make a really dim or burnt-out headlight.
  18. Mikegigabyte

Mikegigabyte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the ct70 I have is 140cc 6 volts
    I had 2 bulbs within hours burn out one day
    and then the one im on now months and going
    never burnt out the rear yet

probably just crappy bulb filaments

and the 6volt lighting sucks I have 3 6v bikes

I wish I would of just kept the ct70 a 125
    mpg isnt the best with a 1/2 gallon tank
    at least the passport has a larger tank so you probably dont have fuel issues

I tried a 125 passport so much torque
    but I have no problem riding slow I like to keep it all original if I can, just because you dont really see them that much its like going back in time with the old technology

for the starter switch I never priced one but my local electronics store had a switch that fit so I just used one of those, my passport was missing that

check out this cool basket I got from thailand
    saw this on you tube and after alot of searching found one on e bay
    I couldnt pull off a basket on the front just didnt look right
    but this one I can handle
    [​IMG]

my friends bike all 125s
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the find. I have a C70 too, 82, low mileage.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great bikes the Passports. This is my second one.
  20. klx250sfguy

klx250sfguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought this Honda Aero 80 recently for $400.

[​IMG]