Cheap xr650l usd conversion

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by FMJoker, Mar 26, 2013.

1. FMJoker

FMJoker n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. I just bought a 94' xr650l and have been rebuilding it. Was wondering what would be the cheapest usd conversion route i can take?! Any input would be appreciated. Im a poor college kid so id like to save as much money as i can in this rebuild! I have a rebuild thread over at thumper talk detailing everything ive done so far.
  2. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your that broke or a starving student. I would just go with new springs for your weight, new fork oil and a fork brace. That should be around 300-400 max. I have been running that set up for about 3 years now. Its a totally different bike on and off road.
  3. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    Springs will run 100.00ish. Fork brace 150.00ish I'd geuss. Buy a shop manual and do all the owrk yourself.
  4. FMJoker

FMJoker n00b

Oddometer:
    Ya ive been doing all the work myself. Its quite the learning experience. Honestly i just love the look of the fork conversions. I could live without it though :(
  5. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the cheap? Make spaccers from pvc-pipe to stiffen up the front fork.

If youre going to spend 3-400$, you might aswell go all the way, imo. :norton
  6. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:

If you are doing it for looks, don't. Do some research and make a decision based on something else. From what I have read, the usd are not a better fork for desert/enduro type riding. From what I have experienced, this is true.

I don't like the feel of the CRF forks, lots of stiction and it doesn't seem to be as sensitive as my xrr's conventional forks. When the USD first came out lots of work went in to making them feel like the forks they were intended to replace.

Suspension seems slow to evolve at this point. In fact, I was talking to Tom over at Fineline and asking if the new forks on the Betas were something to want with their new third bushing. His reply was, "well, ktm tried that a few years ago and found it didn't help."

Get some eibach springs and copy the valving used for the XR650r. You should be able to find a stack description somewhere in the xr650r thread.
  7. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I got a conversion kit collecting dust in my garage. It came off a 650L. Aftermarket triple, red fender, forks from a cfr, brake, etc. Just needs a front wheel.

$400 plus shipping (way less than I bought it for, didn't end up with an L so it's useless to me)

Sorry for the spam :D
  8. FMJoker

FMJoker n00b

Oddometer:
  9. FMJoker

FMJoker n00b

Oddometer:
    PM sent good sir!
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I admit its a cool look,but wouldnt always end up with forks that work better.
    Conventional forks usually work smoother at slower speeds over choppy stuff anyway,then there's the frame of the XR650L,its not designed for the rigidity of upside down forks and nothing can make it so.

Lots of guys on here stick big beefy forks on antiquated flexy frames,DR,XRL,KLR all come to mind. They mostly want "the look" and function is hoped to be better.
    Clearance between fork and tank,length of fork compared to stock,and then getting a fork off some other bike to work right on a 350+ lb beast,all are problems.

Many cant tell the difference anyway but post about how amazing the new ft end is.
  11. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would agree with those who counsel agains spending the dough . . and I'll go further . . . the numbe of riders who are fast enough to actually enjoy the benefits of USD forks is extremely small, on or off road.

Fashion, of course, is a highly personal matter . . . . I'd spend the filthy lucre on something you COULD enjoy -- like a weeks-long trip...

But I am long past the point of caring what a bike looks like from any vantage point but one -- behind the bars . . . and they ALL look good from there!
    thelastfoiter likes this.