New rider in Spokompton

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by chinook1, Feb 22, 2013.

1. chinook1

chinook1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Just got my first bike ('82 CB750k) last summer after 20 years of hand-wringing and a disapproving (ex) wife. Rode through the fall and ended with a great trip to Boise through McCall. I'm literally giddy with getting the old CB out of winter storage. I'm hoping to get in on some group rides or events. My goal is to get a couple years of street riding under my belt be fore jumping to a big dual-sport, so for now, pavement only. I'm pretty serious about perfecting my technique and abilities, so would really appreciate riding with some veterans. I'd like to head down to the Rally in the Gorge in July/August. Any other events or group rides I should keep an eye out for?

Chinook1

aka Jeremy
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Hi, Welcome to the fun.

Keep an eye on this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610051&page=183 It's where we post meetups, rides, chit chat, etc. Post there and say hi to the Spo/Cda group.

For a ride check out the Hells Canyon/Wallowa Valley gathering in June. The link to the thread is in my signature line.
  3. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeremy, Get a dualsport bike NOW! Riding on loose surfaces using brakes and throttle is a great teacher for those times when the asphalt is short of traction. There are lots of good used machines out there and the newer 250's are great bikes. (Oh yeah, welcome to the forum and have fun on the ole CB!) my $.02 Dave
  4. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good pavement will never prepare you for good dirt. Good dirt will always prepare you for pavement (of any kind).:D
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^ Welcome to the Asylum.:beer
  6. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup. Dirt is a much more forgiving teacher than asphalt. Also more fun! Find a Motorcycle Safety Foundation or similar course near you, and take it.

1911fan
  7. Kootenai Rider

Kootenai Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dirt will teach you to be in control when you're out of control. Less traffic to contend with out on the trails and the back forest service roads
  8. chinook1

chinook1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice and the welcome, y'all! I have been considering getting a mid size dual sport, but its all about the Benjamins. I do understand that dirt riding is a great tutorial, and it's what i want to be doing anyway. I may try to find some space in the far corners of my bank account for a little dually. I've taken the MSF course and plan on taking advanced courses soon too. I'll keep an eye out and maybe join the June Wallowas ride.

Thanks!:freaky
  9. XR4EVER

XR4EVER 919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer:
    Welcome chinook1! I used to have a (free!) late 70's CB550 that I used as a flat-tracker in my woods when growing up. Great family of bikes. I kept that thing running until the headers were beat flat under the engine from rocks. Reason #314 I am lucky to be alive.

If you can find a dirt-cheap old POS dirt bike on Craigslist, pick it up and take it out to Liberty Lake ORV park. It is a great place to learn. Plus, one of the great things about Liberty Lake is that it is all down hill to your truck if your POS CL bike dies. :lol3 You will learn more about riding in one day on your own than you will in years on pavement. Low-speed balance is something that can never be perfected in normal driving on a street bike, but the skills learned on the dirt can be used any time, anywhere. Just take baby steps, but continue to challenge yourself whenever safe to do so. Good luck out there!

:freaky
  10. Kootenai Rider

Kootenai Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^This, plus I think there are several local inmates that would join you up there and be happy to teach you some technique. :evil