Maryland Tag-o-Rama

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Skyclad, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    It started in Ohio
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321439

Then it moved to Virginia
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360246

I brought the game to Pennsylvania
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372674

Now I bring Tag-o-Rama to Maryland. This game is intended to give folks an excuse to get out and ride (like ya need one) and learn more about the place you call home. Maryland Tag-o-Rama Map can found here.

Rules are easy...

#1 - Find the tag and reproduce the photo (as best as possible). The first person to post a found tag gets to place the next tag. If you get a tag, but somebody else posts their picture first, you lose.

#2 - Take the tag to a new location, get the photo and post it here. Give a few hints so the next person can figure out where the tag is located. Try to place the tags in interesting locations, maybe a bit of history that can be found down some nice twisties. Explore all of Maryland, and post your results here! Repeats are discouraged, but not unacceptable.

#2.a - New tag is to be placed within 48 hours of the grab.

#3 - Tag must be placed on or near a legal road. Single track is out, but dirt and gravel roads are good. Keep it big bike friendly, and let people know if the they will be getting dirty to reach the tag.

#3.a - Tagging within Washington DC city is off limits for this game.

#4 - File photos are NOT permitted. You gotta ride to play this game.

#5 - No whining. If you have a valid sugestion to improve the game, we can listen to that. If you just wanna bitch and moan because you got Bruce'd, do it elsewhere.

Now that the rules are taken care of, here is the first tag.

The person born in this house was in the US Army, but decided the north was being a bit aggresive. He was injured and captured at Gettysburg. He was released in a prisoner exchange, but died shortly afterwards.

The house can be found near where a river named for a rider's least favorite forest animal meets a river from the Empire State.

Rock-Run-House.jpg

I started the Maryland Tag-o-Rama because it is great for getting noobs to start posting, it encourages riding and learning about your state, and becuase I wanted more tags to steal.:evil I do not want to be the Maryland game boss, seeing that I am not from your state. I leave it up to Maryland inmates to decide on whether to change any or all of the rules for your state. Have fun.
  2. Lukejt

Lukejt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool. I know exactly where that is.... ;)
  3. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    This should be interesting. Is DC included in this game?
  4. Skyclad

Oddometer:
    Personally, I would say yes to DC, but that is up to the Maryland folks in the end. I am just helping to get it off the ground in MD. I do not want to call the Maryland Tag-o-Rama as being "mine"
  5. Lukejt

Lukejt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DC sucks. ;)

Don't care if it's included, I'd just rather not ever drive in that place unless I'm getting paid to do so, overtime. I'd like to live to see 40. :D
  6. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, but given the hoods where we work, I could take some pictures of places that would be really challenging. Trying to get off the bike and grap a picture before somebody grabbed the bike would make it pretty interesting.

But now that I think about, that would mean that I would have to ride in.

Nevermind. :2guns :eek1
  7. Lukejt

Lukejt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made it!

[​IMG]

Luke
  8. Lukejt

Lukejt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Even if you avoid the slums, the traffic and time it takes to get anywhere in and or around DC is VERY frustrating.

That said, I've got no problems with DC being included here..........

I'll think up somewhere cool to take the next pic and get it posted asap. :clap

Luke
  9. thetoecutter

thetoecutter Cutter of Toes

Oddometer:

HEY.. let's not forget the Garden State Tag-0-Rama!!
  10. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer:
    So, where is it? What is it?

When did you take that picture? :evil
  11. Lukejt

Lukejt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took the pic about 2 hours ago on the Southern Susquehanna scenic route in front of that old dude's place (General James J. Archer) just south of his mill. ;) Here's a couple more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a kayaker, mountain biker and hiker so I knew the area. I took my wife and kids there a year or two ago and we road our bicycles on the trails around the area and took a tour of the mill, as soon as I saw the picture I knew the building. I found it w/o a map, directions or a GPS. :evil It really is beuatiful there, except the rush hour traffic in Bel Air on the way home.

Luke
  12. Lukejt

Lukejt Adventurer

Oddometer:

SKIP!
  13. Skyclad

Oddometer:
    I did not start it, so Idid not think about it. There is also the Empire State Tag-o-Rama.

Luke, good grab. One thing that is nice is for the tag grabber to post up a bit of info about the tag location so that others that may be interested may visit the site later. Not required, but a good thing to do.
  14. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer:
    The reason I asked was because the date stamp on your tag photo was from August 23, but the stamp on your new photos is today.

:evil
  15. Skyclad

Oddometer:
    Oops...
  16. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    You can't even manage your own thread, leave these people alone :lol3
  17. Lukejt

Lukejt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No sweat, I'd love to and will in the future. This is right up my alley, I love taking pictures and talking about the ride and the area. TONS of civil war stuff around here.

The area is just south of the Conowingo Falls Dam and hydro power plant, between I-95 and Route 1 just off the Susquehana River. There is a nice path along the river for hiking or bicycling. There are some mountain bike and hiking trails in the area. The Susquehana is also a great place to kayak, and there is some white water (weather permitting) at some of the creeks that dump into the rive.

I took back roads from Finksburg, MD and just headed north and east. I went too far east and had to double back north of BelAir. I guess the easiest way to find this place would be to probably take Route 40 or Route 1 until the last possible turn on the MD side of the Susquehana River and just try and stay close to the water. I felt like I had to hurry before somebody else got there first, lol. Next time I'll be sure and take more pictures. The road that runs past this house follows a beuatiful creek for a ways before heading back torwards modern civiliation. The whole way home I kept thinking..."If only I had a blackberry." :D
  18. Lukejt

Lukejt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's just the folder I happened to stick it in....

The whole ride home I felt like somebody was going to beat me to the punch! I downloaded the one pic as soon as I could and uploaded it to my Photobucket account. My kids must have thought I was nuts, they kept asking me "What are you going to win daddy?" :)
    T7ADVMOTO likes this.
  19. thetoecutter

thetoecutter Cutter of Toes

Oddometer:
    yea I saw that date stamp on there too...

But Luke emailed me earlier thanking me for telling him about the Tag game and about his 120 mile ride to get it.
  20. Lukejt

Lukejt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Next time I upload a pic for you cats I'll be sure and create a NEW folder with the correct date. :wink:

Alright, pretty sure I've decided on the next tag location, I'll head out first chance tomorrow and post up.

Luke