Wisconsin to Yavisa, Panama - 2013

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rjzinc, Dec 21, 2012.

1. rjzinc

rjzinc The World is My Home

Oddometer:
    Hello, My ride actually began over this past Thanksgiving weekend when I rode the first leg from Racine, Wi to Memphs, TN. I have my R1200GS stored in Memphis and will return Dec 24th to continue my ride. I have a 3 month sabbatical which begins 12/24, and anticipating winter weather in Wisconsin, I had decided to store the bike in Memphis and fly back to Milwaukee with frequent flyer miles.

My final destination is Yaviza with plenty of rambling in between. I'll ride the Caribbean side of Mexico going to Belize and then Guatemala.

I have done a few "fly and rent" rides in the past including Alaska, Panama, Costa Rica, Colombia (4 times), South Africa and Nicaragua. I also did a cross country ride on my '08 R1200GS to Mendocino, CA this past summer.

My intention is to keep this report updated. I'll also add a link to my SPOT page.

For picture starters, here is one of my moto in the storage lockup in Memphis just waiting patiently for my return.
    [​IMG]
  2. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Looks like its going to be a fun trip!
  3. Cmnthead

Cmnthead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teeswater Ontario Canada/ Playa Oria Panama
    I'm signed up for the ride with you.

My trip is in about a year from now from Teeswater, Ontario, to my house in Uverito Beach Panama with my 18 year old son.

If you are looking to hang your hat in Panama for a few days you are more than welcome to use the apartment at my house. If you are coming from Costa Rica towards Panama City you get off the main road at Divisa and it is about 1 hour south of there towards Las Tablas.
    It is not a tourist type spot that is gated and security. It is a local beach with friendly locals and lots of great food within a few minuets walk. If you are facing the Pacific Ocean with your back to the house you can throw a rock into it at high tide.
    Nice rancho out front to swing in a hammock in upper half and work on your bike in the shade of the lower half.
    All I ask for in return is some info on your trip to help us with ours.
    It is there if you want it.

Good luck with your ride.:clap
  4. MotoAdventureGal

MotoAdventureGal Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I rode my DR650 from Connecticut to Buenos Aires in 2009 and made a lot of friends and contacts in Central America (esp. among the BMW crowd). If you need anything along the way, feel free to email me and I'll try to help.

Have a Great Trip! ~MAG
  5. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Im in
    I lived just outside of Milwaukee for 13 years. It will be good to follow!
  6. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Call me crazy, I picked my moto up from storage yesterday and road in the cold (37F) and rain but it was great to be back in the saddle!!!:clap If anyone is ever in the Memphis area and needs a storage facility, check with Sandra at Southern Storage Pros on Getwell Rd. Great facility, clean, secure, climate controlled storage, close to the airport for motos and anything else.

I had the first glitch that will keep me in Memphis for another day, while reviewing my credit card statement last Sunday, I noticed a fraudulent charge, the CC company cancelled my card and FedEx'd a replacement which should be arriving today.

Later today I plan to head South to Jackson, MS rather than West towards Little Rock which had a winter snow storm yesterday. Memphis had a lite snow last night, but didn't freeze on the roads.

Lite dusting of snow looking through the motel window.
    [​IMG]
  7. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    In! :lurk
  8. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Thanks, MAG. I was just reviewing your ride report, the Panama part. Reminded me of my previous trip to Yavisa. I remember having a photo taken in front of the jail or postal office, something with Yavisa on the building. I rode the road between El llano(SP?) and Carti.

RJZ
  9. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Hello Phil, Thanks for the offer. Let me know of any questions. RJZ
  10. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    rjzinc,

As a fellow Fly/Rent/Ride entheusiast (Central and South America) I will be following your trip report with great interest.

Ride safe, keep the shiny side up and post lots of photos!

Cheers,
  11. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    New card arrived via FedEx, on the way shortly. :clap
    [​IMG]
  12. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    After leaving Memphis and on the way to Jackson, MS, I noticed my moto began to bob up and down like a waverunner. Stopping to check things over, the rear shock seals were leaking oil. I made it the rest of the way to Jackson and did a search for BMW dealerships. Closest to Jackson is BMW Motorcycles of Baton Rouge. I left an email and was surprised when I entered the shop this afternoon and they were sort of expecting me. A couple of other riders were there who had noticed me riding down the road earlier and commented to themselves how "low" my GS was riding.

Hat's off to Jim and Cory at the dealership. Jim has a replacement shock being FedEx'd and Cory will do the repair, he also noticed there is a recall again on a brake line which will also be replaced.

BMW Motorcycles of Baton Rouge
    [​IMG]

Waffle House Road Food
    [​IMG]

Crossing into Louisiana
    [​IMG]
  13. ! Danimal !

! Danimal ! --Dan--

Oddometer:
    In...:lurk

From West Bend...I'll be taking notes and lmk if you need anything from up here.

Dan
  14. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    to deliver the new shock. They signed me out a demo C650GT to scoot around Baton Rouge. This thing is sweet and the computer indicates impressive fuel mileage!!!

[​IMG]

I'm still puzzled about the shock seals blowing, I picked up a scale and total weight (me and gear) is 415lbs, max for the GS is 465. So I am good there. Cory the service tech said it is just a fluke. Rather expensive fluke but WTF.

Regards,
    Rick
  15. GoinPostal

GoinPostal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go get 'em!
    We will be on the road behind you in about a month, GoinPostal and ADVFool. Hope to see ya down there. We'll be following your RR
  16. rhino_adv

rhino_adv Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im in!!:lurk
    Im in the planning stages of a 2015 ride through Mexico and Central America.
    Ride safe and keep us all informed!!

Brad
  17. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm back in the saddle after having the rear ESA shock replaced. When you are in the area, be sure to stop at BMW Motorcycles of Baton Rouge. They are in a new location on Airline Rd (Hwy 61) off I-12. Especially if you are in the area on a Saturday morning. They have a lounge area that fills up with local riders with food and conversation. I picked up a tip about taking Hwy35 South to Hwy 82 and then ride the coast highway into Texas.

[​IMG]

Rick.
  18. Butcho

Butcho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will be riding with ya in spirit. Snow and cold here in Oconomowoc Wi. Have a great trip :D
  19. ADV Fool

ADV Fool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, we're right behind you in a month or so (ADV Fool & Goinpostal). We'll be watching for you, keep your eyes for two goofs on GSA's having their own adventure.

ADV Fool. :clap
  20. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    After hanging around BMW Baton Rouge this morning, I rode to the Texas state-line and am moteling it in Orange, TX. Uneventful ride along I-10. Rear shock is working great! Google maps works great for searching "motels and hotels" along the way. I also use momandpopmotels.com for finding motels that aren't franchise or chains.

I should start counting how many times I hear, "You rode all the way from Wisconsin?" :rofl

[​IMG]