Fly Trekker Dual Sport Helmet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by underkill, Mar 12, 2011.

1. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    Has anyone heard of this?

Fly Trekker... dual sport helmet, has the regular street shield and offroad visor.

Comes in high vis yellow?!

http://www.flyracing.com/moto/race-wear/helmets/trekker-helmet
    [​IMG]

Anyway... searched and didn't find anything about it... Anyone have one? like it? Does it work with goggles? Was originally researching the Fly Carbon offroad helmets, but liked my Shoei Hornet enough to consider another one like it...
  2. Wannabee

Wannabee Survivor of Reality

Oddometer:
    Look on Atomic Moto's website , that is the same helmet that AFX has out , it is made by another manufacture. Looks cool though , I myself have been looking at them.
  3. aim2kill

aim2kill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it also comes in Black, Matte black, silver, and white. In addition to the Hi-Viz yellow of course.
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-trekker-ds-helmet

I am trying to track down some more reviews as well as replacement len's for it, but i think it looks great. like a poor man's icon variant.

revzilla did a review on them here:
    <object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U6HdLpmGrUg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U6HdLpmGrUg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

i really want to get a set for my wife and I, but i want to hear a couple people's real-world views on them first. first appearance seems they are pretty solid for the $$. :evil
  4. Abomb

Abomb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FLy Trekker and AFX FX-39 are made by the same company, same helmet, THH. THe Fly hlemet has a higher price point with no added features.

Here is a quick review:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658019&page=6

Just ordered a AFX from Atomic Moto. I will put a review in the above thread when I can.
  5. aim2kill

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link :thumb
    just the info i was looking for, it seems really well loved, esp for the money. I think I might just buy a set this week, but I dunno, i'll keep on the research path.

Thanks Abomb! :freaky
  6. Great Buffalo

Great Buffalo Great Plains Rider

Oddometer:
    This is basically the same helmet as the AFX FX39. I just picked one up and so far I really like. The price was right as well at about 120 bucks. The only issue I'm having is that I wear glasses and the cheek pads are a little high and interfere with the glasses. I may find a way to cut this down some. They will also work well with goggles but I will not be using them due to the glasses this. I would go with contacts but my eyes don't get along with them. I'm happy with the purchase.
  7. aim2kill

Oddometer:

i wear glasses, so thats important information to me! My current helmet also pinches some, but i may revert to contacts to combat this. i can wear them, im just super lazy, and like the 'grab and go' go glasses. -as annoying as they are... :lol3

ive got gogglee, but usually only use them in the sand dunes when its hot and dusty, or when im eating shit behind another rider. i take it the shield seals relativly well? :ear

also, its not going to affect the sale...but how noisy is the helmet?:norton

my wife does not wear glasses, that lucky dog!
  8. darkshadow

darkshadow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please tell more.:ear This helmet is so new, there are no actual user reviews. This helmet is at the top of my list right now. But now with the high cheek pads issue, I don't know. I always wear sunglasses:huh. Man I wish these were sold somewhere nearby so I could actually try on one.
  9. aim2kill

Oddometer:
    Bingo. i really want to try one on, but i will have to settle for lots of interwebs information. :eek1
  10. nmdave7

nmdave7 two wheel junkie

Oddometer:
    I have an afx and am very happy with it. Had it about 2 years and seems to have held up as well as my buddy's shoei for 1/4 the price. The shoei has a nicer finish and higher quality padding, but $120 vs $500 is asking a lot.
  11. nmdave7

nmdave7 two wheel junkie

Oddometer:
    Don't know if the afx is available in high vis, but that would be cool.
  12. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen, few details:

Fly helmet will not be available until May. Vendor says April....but it will be May.

AFX is available in hi viz.

I wear glasses and do not have the same issue on the AFX. This is a highly individualized bit of feedback.....based on location of ears, head shape, etc.

BP
  13. aim2kill

Oddometer:
  14. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...what's the story as far as noise with this Fly guy?
    Quiet?
    Noisy?
    Toerable?

I know from experience that the Icon Variant was very quiet in for reference.
  15. Crazy_Dave

Crazy_Dave Back'in it in

Oddometer:
    I should have mine sometime next week. Let you know
  16. AndyRew

AndyRew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Spada Sting Helmet (exact same helmet as AF FX-39 and Fly Trekker) has just been delivered, and it is impossible to put my glasses on whilst wearing the helmet, so it's going back to the shop.

It's a real shame, as I love the helmet, and it's very well made for the price
  17. Tony K

Tony K going somewhere

Oddometer:
    www.webbikeworld.com did a pretty through review on the AFX-39
    and had a lot of good things to say about it.
  18. CRSpeedy

CRSpeedy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I debated long and hard between the Fly vs. AFX. I tried on the AFX-39 at a dealership and it didn't fit me well. My nose rubbed against the nose piece that sits above the chin guard and felt a bit awkward in general (and it's not like I have a giant nose--I don't think so, anyway!) :D

At another dealership, I tried on the Fly Trekker and was immediately sold. They look like very similar helmets when you check out photos of them online, but the Fly felt much, much better on my head. No more nose rubbing, the padding was more comfortable, and it was just a better fit in general. I also liked the vents and the overall style of the Fly more than the AFX.

Having bought and ridden with the Fly, I must say I'm impressed. For such an inexpensive helmet, this feels every bit as comfortable as my Troy Lee Designs SE3 dirt helmet.

If anyone is debating between the AFX and the Fly, go track them down at a dealer and try them both on. Perhaps the AFX will fit you better, but if your experience is anything like mine, the Fly is well worth the extra $10.
  19. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    Where'd you try the AFX on? I'm in Longmont and want to try that one on before I buy. I tried on the Fly and the sizing wasn't right for me. Fine helmet, but AFAIK the padding on the two is pretty different.
  20. aim2kill

Oddometer:

As a glasses wearer, this concerns me.....:eek1

details please :norton