DR650 Restoration

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MartinPetren, Jan 10, 2012.

1. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    Hello, this is a thread about my ongoing restoration of my DR. I never meant to do a thread about it, but the official Dakar thread is just taking too much time of my hands.. time to do something else aswell! F5

Every restoration thread needs a before picture, and here it is:

[​IMG]

As you can see it's quite rusty and has lost some of it's shine. There is also alot of small things that need to be repaired/replaced.

The frame is going to get powdercoated black as well as a few other things.. So first of all a complete disassembly was done!

[​IMG]

This is how far I got during day 1.

[​IMG]

Day 2 and everything is stacked up in the basement. This is where I will keep the parts during the process, and as we go along I will re-assemble it in the garage shown in the second picture above.

Oh, I also cleaned up the garage when the bike was dis-assambled. That's what I went up doing on day 3.

Today is day 4 of restoration and I will start cleaning up the frame for powdercoating. If there's time I will start looking at the swingarm that is going to be freshened up a bit.

But before I start doing that, It's time to see how Despres is doing in the Dakar :clap F5-out.

edit: Thought I could share some of my plans:

New parts:

- TKC80 Front and Rear [check]
    - Black frame [check]
    - Black fork gaitors [check]
    - Crash bars
    - New hand protectors, old one's broke [check]
    - Full service on clutch, and 10% stronger springs [check]
    - New handlebar [check]
    - New chain slider, both on swingarm and lower [check]
    - New chain
    - New grips [check]
    (- new springs to fork ) we'll see how far my budget reaches...
    - New blinkers [check]

Cleaning up:

- All plastic [check]
    - Tank, inside as well.
    - Swing [check]
    - Wheels [check]
    - Engine [check]

Parts I'll paint myself:

- Linkage ( maybe.. ) [check]
    - Sidestand [check]
    - Kicker [check]
    - Steering crown
    - Pipe ( not the slip-on part ) [check]
    - Pegs [check]

Next update will contatin more pictures of process!
  2. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in......:lurk
  3. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    This could take a while, be sure to bring a lot of popcorn! As always with me about a million more stuff than planned will be done, way over my budget :baldy
  4. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha:lol3... I know what your saying once you dig into her you can't stop, but the end result is worth it..:deal
  5. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    I made a to do list before starting on the bike, all I can say is that it has expanded. Most important is to not let my girlfriend find out :pierce
  6. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission..:lol3
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is not really a good idea.

I did the same on a bike a few years ago (1969 Triumph Daytona) and because it looked so nice (better then new), I never rode it in the dirt again, got tired of just street riding and sold it.

Once its all new looking, are you going to be able to ride it right into a mud hole?
  8. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    I am sooo looking forward to get that bike back into the mud :ricky

This year (2011..) has been so awesome that I can't wait for next riding season, the reason of restoration is that I felt bad for all the abuse I've done to it. So I'm fixing her up just so that I feel better next time I'll abuse her :clap

As a matter of fact my last ride with her was in a local sandpit, and there's a step up there which I tried a couple of times but couldn't get enough speed with my worn tires. So I promised my self that my first ride after the restoration will be in that sandpit.
  9. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    Today which is day 4, I think, of restoration has been eventful.

I bought some new supplies for the process:

- Brake cleaner
    - Degreaser ( in the yellow bag )
    - Sandpaper
    - Vaseline spray ( to put on finished parts, protects against corrosion and oxidation )
    - Hammerite spray paint, smooth finish
    - Thermalpaint, for exhaust etc.
    - Some sponges and a brush
    - Autosol, for a nice finish.
    - Clear coater
    [​IMG]

After inspecting what I've bought I then proceeded working. First off was the frame that needed to be degreased and clean in general, it came out pretty good. You can see how rusty it is.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately I discovered a small crack in frame. Just in front of the sidestand, my theory is that water has been standing there causing it to rust from the inside. So that have to be welded before sending it to be powder coated.
    [​IMG]
    After being done with the frame, I began cleaning the rear suspension. It was seriously dirty! But cleaned it up a bit and put a layer of vaseline spray on it.
    [​IMG]
    Last of all I began with the swing. It was not looking nice so I decided to polish it. I'm already sick of grinding it down with sandpaper.. But the outcome will be good. Just have to be patient for tomorrow, then I'm going to finish it. (hopefully)
    [​IMG]
    Now it's time to watch the Dakar highlights from yesterday! :lurk
  10. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    very nice

check out the pre 96 dr thread

keep up the go work
  11. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Martin,

That is a common problem. This is my 90 model:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to weld it myself, but figured it would be better if someone TIG welded it. The welder said there was still a lot of metal left and patches should work ok. Before welding, use compressed air to blow most of the loose rust out. Your frame should have a drain hole on each side of the frame near where the rear fender bolts on. Blow the air through these holes and it will come out of the rust holes.

I drilled a 3mm drain hole in each side (through the patches) and after the frame was painted I used a spray can of rust killer/sealer and gave it a good soaking. Roll the frame a few times to help spread it around.

Good luck with the project!

Cheers,
    David.
  12. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    Yours was really looking horrible! I'm glad I found mine in good time. Do you live close to the ocean? I've seen a few DR's that has been completely ruined because of the salt in the air.

I'm checking with a friend to see if he's having a TIG weld, my welding machine is definitely not usable.

My thought was exactly as you've done, patch it and then drill some draining holes through the patches. Did not think of the rust sealer though. It's for sure worth a try!

Oh and btw, do you by any chance have an after pic?

Thanks,
  13. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    I'm a regular lurker in that thread :lurk

Thanks,
  14. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    First of all, I'm so damn tired right now.. Stayed up all night planning all the purchases for this project! Not much was ordered but some parts from the Hessler shop at least.
    [​IMG]

Notice that I ended up not buying the crash bars, they'll just have to wait. I think I'll order them as the last part for the project, as a nice little touch up in the very end.

Now I have to wait for the parts to arrive, It's only from Germany so it shouldn't take long.

Today's plan is:

- After work go to my local bike shop and pic up a new air filter.
    - Order new brake pads and some new rear indicators, old one broke during my last ride.
    - If there's time I'll continue on the swing polishing.

Now time for work, and then some serious F5:ing in the Dakar thread :clap

Over and out!
  15. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    Short update.

Today I picked up an air filter that my father order for me as a christmas gift. Took a while to receive it, not that it really matters at the moment, though.. :clap

It's an OEM filter.

[​IMG]

When I came home I made some delicious pancakes and later I started working on cleaning the carburator. There are two reasons why I bother to clean it on the inside and the outside:

1. I really don't think anyone before me took their time to do so.
    2. My last air filter went through it. It's my bad for not changing it in time.. But I suspect my combustion chamber thought it tasted good as there is no sign of there. Though I did find some traces inside of the carburator! Look to the right at the slider.

[​IMG]

I cleaned it all up with some brake cleaner and I'm going to put a protective layer of vaseline on it when I get back to the workshop/garage.

[​IMG]

A few more things:
    - I have found someone to weld the frame for me
    - Hessler shop replied to me with a tracing number, order has been dispatched
    - The frame is going to be left at the powder coater on Tuesday next week:clap

Looking forward to next update, hopefully I will show you the result of the polishing on the swing.
  16. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would not use brake cleaner on a carb, most disolves rubber and plastic VERY well.

They do sell spray carb cleaner.

Also, I thought twinair was the hot filter setup...
  17. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    I know it ain't the best for cleaning parts with rubber etc. but after spraying it with brake cleaner it was cleaned of with water. Hopefully a TM40 carb is in a near future as this one does not quite deliver..
  18. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Martin,

I'm about 15km from the sea (as the crow flies) The PO last rode it on a beach , then just hosed it off and shoved it in a shed. It is a very common issue and I think the too small drain holes are the cause. Doesn't take much to block them.

I forgot to get a photo of the patches after they were done, so here is one after the frame was primed:

[​IMG]

Bit hard to see, so I will post a higher res shot if you like.

I'm planning to keep the bike for quite awhile, so the rust proofing is the only way to make the frame last longer. Just have to remember to keep the drain holes clear.

Cheers,
    David.
  19. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    That is looking good, like a completely different frame. That picture is more than fine! No need to post a high res version.

What colour did you go for after it was primed? Stock blue?

I don't know if you read my previous update, but mine is getting welded on monday and powder coated on tuesday :0-0

When it gets back I'll drill some holes and I'll also see if I can find some rust proof.
  20. rowie

rowie Been here awhile

Oddometer: