Garmin GPS Map Conversion

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Hotspice, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine sent me some maps from their older version of Garmin Metroguide.. I tried to open it up on my Mapsource City Select V6 and ohhhh she ain't a happy camper..

Anyone know how I can get his maps to load up on my system? I've tried gpsbabel but that doesn't do anything for me..

Thanks,
    Tony
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    If you have Mapsource you might be able to open them, but if he is using Mapsource, or City Select, the maps are not compatible.

Jim :brow
  3. Hotspice

Oddometer:
    I've got the mapsource but his come from a metroguide. I hit the dropdown box to .mps and just get the bloody error that MetroGuide isn't installed..

Silly me for thinking that Garmin would at least make the maps compatible with their own software.. :flush
  4. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't had this problem. Do you have the latest Mapsource?

:dunno
  5. Hotspice

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm guessing the problem is that I ONLY have City Select and he has Metroguide.

I thought there might be something out there that would allow me to open his and save it in a format that my CitySelect would open.
  6. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you install another MapSource product (both City Select and MetroGuide are MapSource products) then it will install that mapset into a single copy of MapSource with a drop down list in the top left with all the mapsets you have installed.

Do you actually have a map that a friend has sent you or are you trying to load a file with waypoints, routes and tracklogs ?
    Note that while files with a .MPS extension can have a list of map segments, they do not have the actual maps themselves.
    If you open this file without having the same mapset installed then you will get nothing displayed.
  7. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, but I only have City Select on my work computer and I open .mps and .gdb files that have mapset info from R&R, MG, Topo, etc. and while I get a complaint (dialog box) and it won't show them since I don't have those map products, they still open and show the tracks, waypoints, routes and also the maps from City Select...
  8. Hotspice

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I get.. A blank map with no mapsets showing up..