Is There a Motivation Spyder Sidecar near Memphis, Tn?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by ked, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ked

ked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thinking about one and wanted to see one in person. anyone else can chime in with opinions. was going to put it on a DL650.

thanks,ked:ear
  2. warkshop

warkshop uncbob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't enjoying being a wet blanket,,,but. My first sidecar many,mnay years ago was a Spyder. They are beautiful, have large, externally accessable trunk and Motorvation are honorable folks to deal with, sadly i can't say that about everybody in this business.
    The downside is they are a royal pain in the butt to get in and out of,,think kayak! My dear wife who is definitely not one to complain (she lives with me!) always commented how troublesome it was getting in and out.
    Plus if you are going to rig it yourself the unibody nature of this hack means you can't remove the body for the install,,,not a desirable feature!:huh
    This also means removal and replacement for service or whatever is complicated. You can get chrome struts though! Priorities?:lol3
  3. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Wet blanket or no, it is nice to get this kind of perspective. I know nothing about sidecars and was looking a Spyder as well http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12002&posts=1&start=1. I was attracted to its lines and looks but didn't even consider the points you made. I did wonder how I would ever get my dog in one.

Chuck
  4. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I've always wanted a Spyder on an airhead as they are the prettiest of the little chairs that have a real old time look but they are small and Bob's accurate.A dogs not getting in without the owner picking him up and placing him there.
    If I where you Ked I'd be mounting the formula 2 on the the DL and sending the honda down the road.DB
  5. ked

ked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have had the same concern about the Spyder. great looks, but small cockpit and opening. it does seems that it would be a good matchup for the DL, though.

i would prefer a Ural/CSM/DMC type chair.i just like the looks of the DS type chairs.

i may look into the Formula for the DL.

ked
  6. warkshop

Oddometer:
    :DYou might consider something which would seem unworthy to many here,,,silly elitists! The lowly Velorex.
    Just how big is this dog anyway? Since you have chosen a mule that, though a wonderful bike, does not have a complete cradle frame it would require a either a custom 'in shop' install or a custom, mail order mounting kit, something i don't have for that bike. Silly of me to say this but choosing bikes for mules that are actually sidecar friendly could be considered a wise choice. Certainly more cost effective.
    In my less than humble opinion a Formula would be a bit lardy to drag around with a DL650. The cart would be leading the horse(mule).
    I'll shut up now,,,the customer is always right,,,,,right??:rofl
  7. ked

ked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THIS customer isn't always right. usually, but not always!:lol3

there is NO dog! it is for my kids, and i enjoy 3 wheels. i like the dl650 and the Spyder being smaller, i thought it would be a nice street combo. still, i am concerned about the smaller cockpit opening. my daughter would easily fit, but my son is taller than me, but more flexible.

thanks, ked:ear
  8. warkshop

Oddometer:
    I am 6'1", 200 pounds and I fit in a 562 Velorex. Much easier in and out than a Spyder. Do not accept the unmitigated horseshit that Velorex are inferior. They are not but it is important (as with any proposed combination) that the sidecar and hack are well matched and installed.
  9. ked

ked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    still looking for more imput.

thanks, ked:ear
  10. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Keith
    What do you want to know ? How much is enough ? Lighter is better but heavy is easier to drive and more predictable,if your going to do a V-Strom there's no metal below the engine it needs a subframe(fabrication $). You have a big sidecar get a big tug that's more adjustable (chain drive), allot of it is do you want to go faster or haul more stuff ?
  11. ked

ked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i am just looking for some info from those who have had the Spyder.

i would prefer a Ural type. easy entry, great looks, off roadable. i am sure the Spyder is small, but my 14 yo daughter is main monkey. plus, it would carry a ton of gear, as ANY sidecar would, especially solo. but, would it be off road capable? i know about the subframe, and the $, but i really like the WeeStrom.

anyway, the Spyder is in WA and i am in TN. he wants a Formula II so, that got me thinking "roadtrip"!

thanks for the help. looking forward to seeing the GS with LLs this spring.

ked
  12. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribing to see how this turns out. I also have a Wee.
  13. ked

ked Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like your inquiry KILLED my thread.:lol3

j/k. thought i might resurrect the thread and see if any more interesting comments pop up.

ked:ear