The Rio Grande Valley Area

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by WeazyBuddha, May 26, 2011.

1. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
  2. Leojr

Leojr LeoJr

Oddometer:
    Count me in!!!:clap
  3. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A new comer! :clap
  4. WeazyBuddha

Oddometer:
    Ok, is this the uncomfortable silence part. Let's start with everybody's favorite subjects; ourselves and our motorcycles. I'll start.

Originally from Valle Hermoso tamps. Love Mexico AND the US. Grew up dirt poor but managed to get my first bike at 16 sans my mother's permission. :D

I was a motorcyclist before I even rode one. I'd buy the magazines and dream.

Started on an evil piece of junk Suzuki TM250; I was naive and got screwed on the deal. Went to a 70's XL250 (sweet) and ventured onto the street a bit. Went on to an 80's XL250 (sweeter) which I rode to college eventually adding a 750 Nighthawk (the power!). I was already deep in my career before I got a K100RT, nice-very nice and then the ones currently in the stable; the VFR, KLR, KDX and GS in that order. The GS is my go to bike. I LOOOOOVE that thing.
  5. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Born in Del Rio but spend pretty much my whole life in Mcallen. Lived in Honduras from 2006-2008, then lived in Mexico from 2008-2009. Came back to the valley and now I'm going to school at Pan Am.

Got into motorcycles while living in Mexico. My dad bought a pair of Chinese 150cc dual sports to play around on. While they were fun they lacked power, but were good on the trail. I saved up some money while working down there and came home and bought my KLR. Its been a great bike and has hauled me over 7500 miles south of the border.

Got married in October of last year and the wife decided she wants to get into motorcycling also, so we got her a Ninja 250 a couple weeks ago. It started as a bike that needed a carb cleaning, but turned into a bike that needs carb parts. It ok though, price was good and I like working on things and learning the details of my bikes.
  6. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about that TsPerez guy, he seems to be into spamming threads :lol3
  7. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Breakfast tomorrow!

Weazybuddha and I will be heading for breakfast tomorrow at Sweet Gregory P's in Port Mansfield. We will be meeting at the Walgreens on the corner of Freddy Gonzalez and Sugar Rd in Edinburg. Our plan is to be kickstands up by 7:45AM, we should be arriving there around 8:45AM in case you want to just meet us there.

Nos Vemos!
  8. Kayakkawakid

Kayakkawakid USPS

Oddometer:
    would ride with ya but must worky for a living, and my ride is a bust anyway, waitin on parts,
    :freaky:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:freaky
  9. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    In!

I'll try to write a little bit of a biography later. My website has been down for about 3 months and today might be a good day to finally get 'round to calling tech support and getting that back online and linked together properly. :deal
  10. WeazyBuddha

Oddometer:
    I'm liking it.

Hey Pirate! Glad to see you stopping by.

Hey Kawa kid, are you into kayaks? I've been mulling getting into that. If I only knew someone that is into kayaks like perhaps an ADV inmate maybe I could try one to help me decide whether to buy one. :evil
  11. Capt Spaulding

Capt Spaulding Card Carrying Member

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Bio wise, raised in Houston. Got something resembling educated at the University thereof, moved to SoCal from the early 90s til Y2K, and now about as far south in Texas as you can go.

I got into bikes when I was about 12 (think mid 1960s). I "liberated" the Briggs engine from my dad's lawnmower, bolted it to a piece of plywood and wedged the assembly into the main triangle of an old bicycle frame. A couple of go kart wheels later = instant motorcycle (sort of).

After that a scrambler 90 ('68), the a 160, then a 350, then about 12 more, and now an '02 VFR, an '81 CB900F, and a '00 KiLleR.
  12. WeazyBuddha

Oddometer:
    Anybody go riding today? I did! Me lleve a la blondie. :evil

Parked on gravel by Delta Lake for some ADV cachet. I think about selling her but then I ride her and I start thinking, hey, this is nice. It wants to go a little faster than my others and the speed is not noticeable until I look at the speedo. 90! Oops. :lol3

[​IMG]
  13. flyspray

flyspray n00b

Oddometer:
    Count Me In, Just did Big Bend ride, next looking for Hill Co ride.
    I didn't get link till this Morn. or I would have been up for the Port ride
  14. Kayakkawakid

Kayakkawakid USPS

Oddometer:
    FLYSPRAY that it, he'll spray you full of flies, in other forums he is called the CHICKEN CHASER, let your imagination run with that one...:rofl:rofl
  15. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a great ride today all the way to walgreens before the KLR crapped out. Nearly pushed it back to WBs house and had to work on it. Its running now. Feels more powerful. I even added a 6th gear!
  16. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    dennis from south padre here with his street legal 03' WR250F. I'm mostly an offroad guy. rode sullivan city for a bit while the lease was going but normally ride "the port" and the beach. Earlier this year 4 of us rode up the beach from spi to corpus (and back), it was a record of sorts, and lots of fun!
  17. WeazyBuddha

Oddometer:
    Wow, sounds like a neat little adventure. Was it round trip or did you camp overnight? How'd you get across the East cut? I suppose a friend with a boat met you there. Ride report with pics?
  18. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    Here's my link to my facebook page with all the pics and captions:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.184212271617642.39118.100000866102292&l=78dc2f55af

We spent the night in Corpus and had just the right type of bay boat to ferry us across the mansfield cut on both days.
  19. WeazyBuddha

Oddometer:
    Picture of Pilot815 arriving at Walgreens rendezvous below on his sputtering KLR. My ride for the day was measured in yards but had a great time at the impromptu tech day at my place. Breakfast at the Moonlight Cafe was great, took the camera but someone forgot to take a picture of the awesome machacado :D. Capt Spaulding joined us later in the day so more BS'ing and then awesome burgers at Big Daddy's with a Mexican apple soda...mmmm.

[​IMG]
  20. WeazyBuddha

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, that was cool. Props to all but particularly Danny on the KLR; must have been a handful in the loose stuff. I miss the beach and my little 4x4 toy. I remember camping out with friends at the East cut, drinking a beer and BS'ing by the campfire. What's the latest on drug runners using the beach as a transport route? Is there even any truth to those reports from awhile back?