Across the BC south

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Alaska & Canada' started by Lycan1, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Another trip from Tsawassen to the Alberta Border via as much gravel as possible. It includes sections of the KVR as well as back roads. Big Bike doable, but tough in some sections (like north of Harrison Hot Springs). High elevations mean a later in the season trip in order to not hit snowed-in sections. Gas is marked for most known locations along the route. Camp at Skaha Lake (Banbury Green) is excellent!

IMG_0365.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the posts and tracks Lycan. Keep 'm coming!
  3. johnny2bad

johnny2bad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you had to guess, how long do you think this trip would take? (Assuming a moderate pace, 6 to 8 hours per day)

Thanks
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Having done most of it, but not all. I plan to do the sections that I have not already done this July, I would say 4 days minimum, but more would make it more enjoyable. There is lots to see and many good camp spots along the way, why rush it.
  5. johnny2bad

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That is what I was thinking, but thought I'd ask the guy that already rode it.

John
  6. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Vancouver to Boston Bar would be a full day since East Harrison can be a tough ride in sections depending on the year and if there are washouts like the time I did it with the BCBTR group.

IMG_1340.jpg

Boston Bar to Princeton would make a decent day, as would Princeton to Penticton, but those could be combined into a good long day.

IMG_0487-2.jpg

The piece of track that runs from the north end of Skaha Lake along the little known section of KVR to Banbury Green Campground is an absolute gem (very pretty but not tough), but you need to watch for large rocks hiding in the greenery along the sides of the trail. I caught a saddlebag on one and it took me down.

IMG_1308.jpg

Penticton (Banbury Green) to Trail is another fairly easy day.

IMG_1294.jpg

Trail to Elko another decent day, with a half day (if that) to complete Elko to crows nest pass.

Nice camping at several places along the trail including Kikomun Provincial Park near Elko.
  7. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I threw this together for another rider, staying on pavement. It has a couple of good options, depending on how much of a hurry crossing BC into Alberta that a rider is. Fuel is listed as well as a few other POI's

My preference would always be to run up to Balfor and down to Creston, and I love the 3A/B that goes through Rossland and Trail.

Attached Files:

Dirty boxershorts likes this.
  8. dch650

dch650 Super nOOb

Oddometer:
    This is great, the first port,
    I am prepping a trip from Leesburg, Va to Ladner (mom) with a stop in Coldstream, BC (brother).
    While I know BC well, this ties it in nice for me. Now just to define a dirt detour to Coldstream.

Ride fom VA to Alberta border will be a huge mix, in the US, but no Interstates.

So thanks Lycan,

I will add this to my stitched route.

Anything to know on the AB - Tsawwassen route?
  9. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    If you are doing the dirt (gravel) sections, just don't plan on doing it before July, since many see no winter maintenance and may be snowed in at the higher elevations. Also, when you see a gas station, top up, as you will miss most of them by jumping on and off Highway #3. If you want to get up to Coldstream (near Lumby) then the K.V.R.(Kettle Valley Railway trail) is a possibility, if you want off-pavement, and there are logging roads to connect as well. There is a thread in the Canada section on the KVR. Here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25875215&postcount=4

And this would connect to Hwy 6 east of Coldstream: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22151278&postcount=1
  10. dch650

dch650 Super nOOb

Oddometer:
    Great to knowI and thanks! I will be bringing extra fuel so that is good. and I was looking right around July Aug as I know BC Backroads can be nasty

Also going to grab a few other routes and see your Sask-AB route.
  11. Qwazert

Qwazert Novice...leaning towards intermediate

Oddometer:
    One spot that I know will be problematic, is the KVR where it enters Princeton from the NW; the tunnel under the highway is CLOSED to motorized traffic.
    We wanted to do this portion last year but met up with the familiar signs...
    I've been reading up and inquiring to anyone who's driven the area and they say that ANY portion of the KVR within Princeton city limits is CLOSED to vehicles of any sort.

You could get off and push, I suppose...
    Steve G. likes this.
  12. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    That is true. More and more sections of the KVR (Kettle Valley Railway, for the uninitiated) are a no go for motors. I so glad I did it when I did in 2010. Still lots of alternates for closed sections if you do a little pre-scouting via Google earth.

IMG_1318.jpg

This track gives you a good starting point, with most of the work done for you. Like all routes, it can be subject to change over time. I'll likely be using a big chunk of it this coming season as I come back off the Washington Back Country Discovery route. I'll update anything that needs it then.
  13. johnny2bad

Oddometer:
    I ran into the no motorized traffic signs on the KVR coming into Rock Creek from the west last summer.
  14. Qwazert

Qwazert Novice...leaning towards intermediate

Oddometer:
    One thing to note, is that it MUST be an official sign...not just a piece of plywood, nailed to a tree by some disgruntled hikers...before I will heed it.
    I know that the motorized/non-motorized communities will never see eye-to-eye on this topic, but until designated as NON-MOTORIZED by the powers that be...this is still a MIXED USE trail that doesn't "belong" to any single user-group.
    A closed gate or concrete pylons don't count, either.

..anyways, more tracks available at: http://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/
  15. kozy69

kozy69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great looking ride, it is now on the top of my "to ride" list.
  16. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    This is what I am working on for this years vacation with my new bike.

2019 Version Mainland.JPG

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1--l_xlRwUTOq4MI6WKfYHzHX5Cq2NbvR&usp=sharing

IMG_1339.jpg

Anyone interested in joining: the dates are not set yet but will likely be in the last two weeks of July or last week of July and first week of August. PM me with interest and I'll update when I know firm dates. Must be up to the daily kilometers and prepared to camp. Interested in joining for some of the route but not all is totally fine with me.

I am proficiant with tire repair / tube changes and will look after the navigation as most of the route has been done on past trips. I am a certified first aider with CPR and carry a kit. I'm also a half decent mechanic that can aid with routine issues should they arrise.

I do plan on exploring off-route a section of the KVR west of Brookmere that is not on the track. Just wanting to see a couple more of the old bridges.

Attached Files:

17. Black99S

Black99S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the posts. Good information
    Lycan1 likes this.
  18. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KVR is closed to motorized traffic in the summertime from Penticton to Chute Lake (basically). You'd have to follow the road for that section unfortunately.
    Thanks for all your awesome tracks @Lycan1 we really appreciate the ideas.
    :freaky
    Northerndr likes this.
  19. Dirty boxershorts

Dirty boxershorts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've this crazy idea to want to do a route through as many border crossings between AB , MT, ID, BC and WA for the summer of 2024, all pavement on my 1250 GS. Anyone have any great suggestions or as crazy as I am for such a silly personal goal?

Or am I just better off going further into AB and BC headed North West to see the National parks, lakes, valleys and mountains?