The New Ninja 300

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by studad, Sep 13, 2012.

1. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is anybody else pretty excited to see these?

I've been a fan of the 250 since I spent a month or so on one in college. My friend had one and I had a Honda Rebel. Too much fun for the street, just needed a little more power.... :norton
  2. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh yea, I was watching the Kawasaki event in New York City via their website, plus I've read the rumors previously posted on here an other sites. I've still got my 1989 Ninja 250, but the new one sure looks nice. I wouldn't mind a test ride on one. I also just found a new page on Kawasaki's site http://ninja300.kawasaki.com/Home/
    Tony
  3. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't start another thread, please. There are two already. Just turn the page and look for them. Multiple threads for new bikes are a complete waste of everyone's time.
  4. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Gryp, I should have heard that advice 36 minutes earlier!

Jumbled threads about multiple bikes are what seem to waste my time. No continuity. The sense of community and conversation is lost.

But I digress, this is a thread about the new fly weight ninja. My gripes should go to the basement!

How long until the new 300s are on showroom floors?
  5. Asphalt Assault

Asphalt Assault Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking pretty good!
  6. sraber

sraber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow nice.:eek1
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Personally, I think it's a stupid idea. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 250, and it has been successful for three decades.

Now that Kawasaki is facing a valid threat in the 250 class, they do what? Take the easy way out and bump the displacement 50cc. Will it be quicker? Yeah of course, but it will also be more expensive, and most depressingly, NOT A 250 ANYMORE! Why is the answer always bumping the displacement? I fear this is a big clumsy step down a very slippery slope that has already ruined countless other machines (VFR anyone?)

Pretty soon the smallest bike anyone will be able to buy in the US is a 1000...

Everyone complains that the 250 would be perfect if it had "just a little more power" but it's a 250 for cryin' out loud. it's not supposed to be super fast.
  8. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    Despite a sticker in the stock photos, the specs do not mention ABS.

Swing, miss.
  9. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm almost totally with you here. What i would have loved to see was a 400 at this price and the 250 still on the shelf.
  10. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Well, I can see a tone ring on the front wheel. Schwing?
  11. janeuner

janeuner Get Some

Oddometer:
    I saw it too. I read it as an omen that Kawasaki NA won't deliver 300cc ABS bikes in the states, even though manufacturing is perfectly capable of doing so. Hopefully I am wrong, but not placing bets.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Kawi does doo some dumb stuff, but if they're going after the little CBR it'd better have ABS as an option.
  13. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both non and ABS are listed on the USA site now. That 50cc didn't cause a price increase, but the new frame and body probably caused a few bucks to be added on. I think they missed the price boat but win in the appearance dept.

$4799 and $5499 with ABS.

A new slot in $ but a pretty big step up in appearance from the 2012 or the CBR near moped look IMO.

As before, it should easily walk from the CBR and appeal to new riders who can't tell it from a 600-1000cc supersport, and from 30' away, I'm not sure many could now judging ONLY from the pics and vids.
  14. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    $1k more than the mini-CBR/abs? Glad I bought the ceebee.

Plus - what I like about the CBR is that they didn't try to make it pretend its a sportbike, styling-wise. It's more like a mini-sports touring bike. I don't wanna ride a fake sports bike.
  15. Just GO!

Just GO! I wish I were good at something.

Oddometer:

Yup.

Same goes for a lot of things. Compact trucks are now almost as big as full sized trucks were a couple decades ago. Bigger ain't always better.

Leave it at 250cc, I say.
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

It isn't physically any larger than it would be as a 250, and the 50cc will only strengthen the weakest part of the torque curve. I doubt you't be able to tell one from the other without the decal on the side in back to back rides.

I'd have rather they made it a 350 with 50 HP!
  17. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it. For those complaining about the price, I don't see an issue. Its still pretty damn cheap. Way better looking than the Honda, and it'll be a bit quicker. I think they will sell a ton of them.
  18. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they'd made a 350, you'd want a 400.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, I know what I want, apply the tech to build the lightest, best suspended supersport bike with high output per liter, and a 50 HP 350 screamer with a weight of about 310 lbs. is feasable. I'd not expect it at $4500 but it can be built and would smoke alot of high displacement bikes on a twisty road or track, as my 50 HP 265 lbs sumoto does already. :lol3
  20. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If those photos are of production models, it is a very standard riding position. After a big suspension upgrade, and maybe brakes, I'd add lower bars and rear sets.