Show us your trials hauler setups...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Huzband, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I know, I'm getting to be a thread starter whore. Ban me. :D

Seriously though. I have a Silverado so carrying the bike isn't the issue. My concern is when you have an over nighter & can't get the bike into the hotel room. Sure, I could get a thirty foot cable & route is through the wheels, frame, & trailer hitch, but who wants to deal with that after a long day of sections? And first thing in the morning of day two, I think not.

So I'm looking at vans. Full size, mini in the genre of Astro. That sort of thing so I can lock the bike behind closed doors & sleep well. Well enough that old muscles allow anyway.

I remember back in the seventies how flat trackers would close off the back of their Dodge Maxivans for the bike & equipment, & build a bed above the rear seat. Any of you go that far?

Tell us what you have, & if it's custom at all pics would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your tolerance.
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I'm cheap, so a $20 cable and lock works just fine for me.

And I just ordered a new F150 and they have a neat little locking retractable cable that's attached to the bed. Ok, that one cost me $100, but I liked it.
  3. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Cheap doesn't offend me. The more of my money I can keep is still mine.
  4. Bent_boot42

Bent_boot42 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    + 1 for a cheap Astro van.

Astro and Safari are the same van... GMC vs Chevy

I bought mine with 300K kms and its a POS but it works and only cost $500 :clap There is a ton of room in the back (fits 3 bikes and gear (only has seatbelts for 2 though :huh since I sold the back seats).

They are not very 'good' vehicles as far as quality is concerned and access to the spark-plugs/distributor is ridiculously awkward.... but they are so CHEAP it is stupid not to have one :D
  5. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Astro/Safari are nice vans I just sold mine and long after every one I see on the road. The AWD ones get crappy fuel mileage (12-13) but they go anywhere and are like having a jeep in vans clothing.

My '95 with 3" lift...

[​IMG]
  6. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. But 13 mpg out of a V-6? Really? My 5.3 Silverado gets 19 on the highway at 75.
  7. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    The full time AWD is what kills the mileage... there are guys who buy these and put regular transfer cases in them so they can have Hi/Lo range and 2WD for the highway. The newer ones have an electronic transfer case that only goes into AWD when it senses slippage but they still get only 15-17.
    My full size Express gets 15-16 loaded with all my tools and equipment I have always had vans for work and only was able to get 12 out of them.

If you don't need the AWD or 4x4 a full size has lots of room and you could forgo the hotels.

[​IMG]
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    A full size late model van is the way to go. An astro van is not worth it for the size. A full size chevy gets better mileage. The best deal would be some one trying to launch a low mileage conversion van. You can gut the bed and captain chairs. You`ll have a fully plush inside, just put down throw rug for the bikes.
    We also have a rider that made his own out of a sprinter. Very cool, but they are expensive to maintain. I could post pictures of his since he has a blog going of his trip to Alaska at the moment.
  9. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 4X6 trailer I got from Lowes for ~$350 years ago with a modded cycle ramp and wheel chock to keep the motor forward of the axle. Not sexy, but effective. :-)[​IMG]
    wout likes this.
  10. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    You missed my point.
  11. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still run a box trailer. But the bike is insured (part of being street legal and the multi vehicle discount makes full insurance $2 a month cheaper then not doing it)

But you are after enclosed transport. I know full sized trucks with the taller camper shells on the back that will fit a trials bike.

The Astro/Safari are a good choice. But they have been out of production for a few years now and finding a good one can be a challenge. There are only 2 small cargo vans on the market right now. Stuff that you can walk into a new car dealership and shop for. The Transit connect and the Nissan NV200 that just hit the market. The Nissan has the lower floor height and comes with floor mounted D-rings to tie the bike down.

And of course the full size vans. New and used (and abused) to all different levels and price points. Everything from a clapped out 70's Dodge all the way up to a sprinter. From $50 to $50,000.

There is always the option of renting a U-Haul for a night to keep the bike locked up. You can keep the truck and use it as you normally do. When you want a mobile secure parking spot, U-Haul and a couple of padlocks (one to lock the trailer to the truck, the other to lock the back door shut). The lack of maintance and storage could make up for the rental costs. Depends on how many times you need the option.
  12. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Well it isn't the best but with the way it mounts on my Pathfinder I find a motorcycle hitch carrier and a nice cable/chain lock works for me.

Something like this: with a nice thick chain/cable... I use a cable for driving and a chain if I am going to leave it over night. (works for me)
    [​IMG]
  13. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    You stated your preference and what you were looking for then asked what everyone was using to haul trials bikes.

"Tell us what you have, & if it's custom at all pics would be most appreciated."

That is what I have, it is custom, and I included a pic. If you want to look at vans, put it in the title or more specific in your request.:D
  14. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    He does make a valid point...
    Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

16. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Point conceded. Can we get back to vans now please? :D
  17. GrayEagleRider

Oddometer:
    This set up is pretty sweet, but will probably kill you at the pump. :rofl[​IMG]
  18. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its really a shame the US doesn't make a high MPG mid sized van. The euro - diesel vans get 30mpg and none use the latest tech.

The Nissan NV 200 is a step in the right direction - but no diesel and not as nice as the cool eurovans in the UK. However, its way more affordable and coming to the US in 2014. Will be under engined if you load it up with more than a trials bike.

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/nv200-compact-cargo?tool=global.nv200.link
  19. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, between the Nissan Juke, Cube, and that new van, if I was a member of Nissan's design team I would have to commit sepuku for the dishonor of unleashing such ugly vehicles on the world.

Anyway, a few years ago we owned a "Dodge" Sprinter van. It was one of the V6 turbo-diesels in the high-roof passenger style. I pulled the two back seats out and had room for two full-sized trials bikes, a Gas-Gas 50, and two OSET 16.0's. Pulling a small camping trailer the rig got 20-22 mpg. Unfortunately, diesel shot up to ~$4.60 a gallon, and the Sprinter was lousy on snowy roads or in high winds.

I was just browsing the web in re: the Nissan NV passenger van, and I stumbled upon the fact that Quigley can now upfit the Nissans to 4x4 as they do the Fords and GMC/Chevys (http://www.quigley4x4.com/Products/NissanProducts.aspx). Decent towing capacity even with the V6. Adds about $11k to the new price, so not cheap, but 4x4 adds functionality trials riders often find useful.

The value I see to a full-sized van is many-fold:
    1. For just a day event you get a place to store the bike and gear out of the elements, with room to change out of grungy clothes at the end of the day.
    2. For an overnight solo, there's room to sleep as long as you aren't insistent on creature comforts and don't need secure storage for the bike outside (i.e., camping).
    3. For bringing the family, most vans (especially in long wheelbase flavor) can haul three or even four bikes AND carry four or five people AND tow a decent-sized travel trailer.
    4. For road trips, vans just bring a little extra piece of mind that open pickups and trailers can't match.
  20. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    How often will you be needing this security? I know it's not a van, but a small enclosed trailer will give you similar security at much less cost. Sure, you can buy used Astro vans cheap (had one, loved it), but factor in insurance, maintenance, etc. and the trailer becomes a significant savings.

Just another angle to consider...