ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road warriors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Adv. wheels on my 950SM! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147616)

brents347 06-24-2006 11:07 PM

Adv. wheels on my 950SM!
 
Hello All-

I have just mounted a set of 19"/17" Adv. wheels on my 950 SM and want to see what you all think.
This is a link to my post on the KTMTalk site because I can't post pics here.
Thanks for any input.
Brent

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=175752

Jeffy 06-25-2006 12:17 AM

Looks like KTMTalk requires a membership to view posts.

brents347 06-25-2006 11:39 AM

oops!
 
Sorry, my bad. Lets see if this works.

Well, they said it couldn't be done...
They said it shouldn't be done...
They said it wouldn't be done...

They might have been right, but I did it anyway. I have mounted a set of 19"/17" Adv. wheels with D/S tires on my 950 SM. Here is a look at the profile of the two rear wheels. The size is almost identical.

http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photog..._swap_001s.jpg

This is what it looks like done. I think they fit pretty well.

http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photog..._swap_002s.jpg

This close up of the front shows the new wheel with the stock front brakes. I used the stock SM caliper set-up, and mounted Adv. rotors with custom rotor spacers to fit the stock SM spacing. Axle spacers needed to be custom made but both front and rear retained stock axles. I bought a new SM fork protector set and cut out the inner fender to accomodate the 19" front.

http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photog..._swap_006s.jpg

The rear wheel slid right into place. Stock axle, spacers and all. I used a new chain with a bigger rear sprocket.

http://216.165.194.66/ktmtalk/photog..._swap_007s.jpg

I just got the wheels on, so no ride reports yet, but what do you think?

Why, you ask? Because I could I guess. I wanted to achieve a quick-change set-up so that I could enjoy all the SM has to offer in stock form while still being free to do some real D/S rides with some level of confidence. Where I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains there is alot of this to be done.

520640, I read your off-road report, and have done as much as 100 fire-road miles with the bike in stock form. I agree it does really well, but I didn't want to risk hurting a mag wheel and did want the little extra traction the Anakee tires could offer off-road. I also felt like the 19" front would slow down the steering some and make the bike a little more stable off-road.

Here is one question I have. Do any of you have any concerns with me using a master link chain on this bike? It is the correct chain for the bike, it just has the off-road style removable master. Does any modern street bike come with a removable master? I don't want to lose the chain and waste the cases just for this experiment.

Lay it on me boys!!
Brent

twinrider 06-25-2006 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brents347
Do any of you have any concerns with me using a master link chain on this bike? It is the correct chain for the bike, it just has the off-road style removable master. Does any modern street bike come with a removable master? I don't want to lose the chain and waste the cases just for this experiment.

Lay it on me boys!!
Brent

I've seen one fail on a 250 2-smoke. I wouldn't use one on a 1000 vtwin.

Arch 06-25-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brents347
Here is one question I have. Do any of you have any concerns with me using a master link chain on this bike?

Nope.

Scary 06-26-2006 12:53 AM

Hi all ! Nice job on the wheels & we'll be interested in how it rides now too.
Excuse a lurker butting in, but I've been running clip joining links on bikes for years, differing sizes of chain too on different brands of bikes(& Horse power) with no dramas...But I did come up with a safety trick that works incase you're interested....
Before u fit the clip on but after the link & outta plate are fitted, wipe the outta link plate with the likes of acetone or methylated spirits to remove oil/grease (just a little on a rag), also wipe the clip too & fit it, then smere on a bit of high grade silicone seller between the two pins & onto the the clip etc.,.... the water barrier type they use to make/glue together fish tanks & alike. U don't need heeps just enough for a bonding affect on the clip to the outta plate/pins. Let it dry over night if possible & u have a great safety catch. It stays put until u remove it & doesn't brake down with lubes etc. I've had it last 15k kms on my Aprilia Tuono no worries !:thumb

ROADCAPTAIN 07-02-2006 09:58 AM

ADV/SM wheels
 
I love it
I have a spare set of 19/17's in the shed off my adv 990
I am going to do my 950 SM
It looks mad....And to think I was going to buy a Super enduro
Save my money.. burn gas and drink beer......Cheers:clap :rofl

wpbarlow 07-11-2006 07:04 PM

Hey Brent,

do you have any measurements for the rotor and axle spacers? Or do you think every bike will be unique enough to merit doing one off every time?

How's the MT60 lasting on the big bike? They wear pretty quickly on the Duke.

Waiting for a ride report...

thanks,

brents347 07-11-2006 10:08 PM

sm wheels
 
Walter,

The spacers would be universal to all SMs'. I don't recall what the dimensions are but the machine shop I used would have the program to cut more.

Here is the latest complication I haven't gotten into here yet...

I mounted a stock Adv. hub with 19" rim. I don't know what the lace is but the wheels were built by Buchanens. The stock calipers on the SM are fixed thus the need for the disc spacers to allow the discs to correctly hit the calipers. Unfortunately, the SM calipers are a very wide four piston design and while they cleared the stock thin mag wheels, they just barely rubbed the spokes on my Adv. wheels. Nothing horrible, but it did require attention.
What I did was space out the calipers off the mounts with some custom washers and new caliper bolts (the spokes taper in to the center of the rim as you go away from the hub). The stock SM rotors are 310mm and the Adv. rotors are 305mm. That meant that after the new caliper spacers the rotors were not full depth in the calipers by about 5mm (2.5mm in reduced rotor diameter, 2.5mm in caliper spacer). In other words, not achieving full pad contact on the rotor. My thinking on this was 'no problem, it will decrease the sensitivity of the brakes some'. I stand by this and can tell you that the bike still has more brakes than is necessary for the D/S tire. Stoppies, no problem. Front wheel lock up on pavement, unfortunately no problem. I feel that I am careful enough to moderate my brake use and don't see this as an issue. I am now considering switching the Adv. wheels to 320mm discs from a 625smc type bike (which should have the same bolt pattern as the Adv.) which would put the rotors right back in the meat of the caliper pads.

It is possible some one like Woodys could lace you a wheel and keep the spokes inward toward the center of the wheel some (it would take very little), but I don't know.

I haven't given the bike a big off-road test yet, but the little I have done has been nice and stable. The SM street suspension settings aren't great for dirt, but it is a compromise. I will develop a street/track setting and a D/S off-road setting and then just live with it. On the road, the bike is still very fun to ride, and still turns in well although a little slower. the MT60 is not going to last long on a bike like this. I will be using Anakees after this but I suspect they won't last much longer. If I bought a bike based on tire life I'd be riding a scooter, so it is what it is.

Well, if you read through all of that, that is my story. I have nothing left to say. I shall now go ice my finger tips.

Brent


Oh yeah, one more thing. The pegs are a little narrow for me (which is to say the tank is fat) when in the standing riding position, so I may adapt something here as well.

nitrotain 08-08-2006 04:42 PM

Brent you're the man
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brents347
Walter,

The spacers would be universal to all SMs'. I don't recall what the dimensions are but the machine shop I used would have the program to cut more.

Here is the latest complication I haven't gotten into here yet...

I mounted a stock Adv. hub with 19" rim. I don't know what the lace is but the wheels were built by Buchanens. The stock calipers on the SM are fixed thus the need for the disc spacers to allow the discs to correctly hit the calipers. Unfortunately, the SM calipers are a very wide four piston design and while they cleared the stock thin mag wheels, they just barely rubbed the spokes on my Adv. wheels. Nothing horrible, but it did require attention.
What I did was space out the calipers off the mounts with some custom washers and new caliper bolts (the spokes taper in to the center of the rim as you go away from the hub). The stock SM rotors are 310mm and the Adv. rotors are 305mm. That meant that after the new caliper spacers the rotors were not full depth in the calipers by about 5mm (2.5mm in reduced rotor diameter, 2.5mm in caliper spacer). In other words, not achieving full pad contact on the rotor. My thinking on this was 'no problem, it will decrease the sensitivity of the brakes some'. I stand by this and can tell you that the bike still has more brakes than is necessary for the D/S tire. Stoppies, no problem. Front wheel lock up on pavement, unfortunately no problem. I feel that I am careful enough to moderate my brake use and don't see this as an issue. I am now considering switching the Adv. wheels to 320mm discs from a 625smc type bike (which should have the same bolt pattern as the Adv.) which would put the rotors right back in the meat of the caliper pads.

It is possible some one like Woodys could lace you a wheel and keep the spokes inward toward the center of the wheel some (it would take very little), but I don't know.

I haven't given the bike a big off-road test yet, but the little I have done has been nice and stable. The SM street suspension settings aren't great for dirt, but it is a compromise. I will develop a street/track setting and a D/S off-road setting and then just live with it. On the road, the bike is still very fun to ride, and still turns in well although a little slower. the MT60 is not going to last long on a bike like this. I will be using Anakees after this but I suspect they won't last much longer. If I bought a bike based on tire life I'd be riding a scooter, so it is what it is.

Well, if you read through all of that, that is my story. I have nothing left to say. I shall now go ice my finger tips.

Brent


Oh yeah, one more thing. The pegs are a little narrow for me (which is to say the tank is fat) when in the standing riding position, so I may adapt something here as well.

You have got me looking at this set up any updates on how it works?

fred boyd 08-09-2006 10:03 AM

adv wheel size
 
according to ktm web site the standard wheel size for the adv is 21"/18".
where did you get the 19"/17". can you fit 19"/17" to the adv.

fred

brents347 08-09-2006 05:48 PM

Update
 
Hey guys,
So, I have given the bike a small dose of off-road and it is real nice. The steering is slowed down by the 19" front but it is a good thing. Steering is predictable yet stable. It's no RM125, but I already knew that. Traction is seriously lacking, but then again, I already knew that! I have not bottomed the front end yet, but I suspect when I do the tire will rub the front fender. I'll let you know. The bar position is a little low for riding on the pegs, so I ordered a new Emig racing clamp/stabilizer kit that will raise the bar height 3/4". That should arrive tomorrow. I will post up on the install.
On the street, I have riden the bike up to 80 mph at cruise, which is as fast as I want to cruise on these tires. I did one quick blast up to 100 mph with no problems. Nice and stable. Or atleast as stable as these tires get.
On a side note, I have now ground all the way through the stock pegs, so I am going to weld a new outer hoop to the stock pegs and make them about 1/4" wider on each side for a better platform off-road. Next, I'm going to build a set of aluminum pegs out of round stock that will be slightly higher and maybe slightly rearset for trackdays. I suspect this will require a modified/raised shifter but I haven't gotten that far yet. It is way too fun to blast around the outside of sport bikes on the track. I had a guy on a cbr600 try to chase me after I passed him on the outside last weekend only to tuck the front end two turns later. :rofl He is a friend, and he and the bike were o.k. (just a little cosmetic damage to both) so I am allowed to laugh. Anyway, thats my saga. I'll update you as things go on. Till then...
Thanks for the interest,
Brent

brents347 08-09-2006 05:51 PM

19/17
 
Fred,
The 19"/17" Adv. wheel are a common swap form the stock 21"/18" for Adv riders to improve the bikes on-road prowess. Do a quick search here and you'll find more info than you care to read.

Brent

motolocopat 12-18-2007 05:09 PM

This is good but the Photos>
 
Thanks Brents347 for pointing me here.

Photos appear to have disappeared though.

Can you update your experience since you have now live and loved with her for over a year?

Thanks,

brents347 12-18-2007 07:48 PM

Although I loved it, I really didn't live with it for all that long! It was actually so good that I bought an Adventure and put the SM back on it's stock mags. I found that the bike worked very well with these rims though.

Handling characteristics were very stable, although a little slower to turn in as you would expect. Mostly, I found that having the 19" front wheel and D/S tires gave me the confidence to ride the bike beyond it's other limitations. In other words, the wheels/tires were great, but you found out much more quickly the limits of the shorter suspension travel and the unprotected headers and cases. I didn't do any case damage, but I smashed the stock headers real quick. Once I put the full Akra exhaust on, I wasn't going to risk smashing a header again and thus the change back to stock wheels. I still ride the bike on fire roads, and still managed to flat spot the header, but I did it with the stock wheels!

http://65.57.254.60/ktmtalk/photogal...doors_001s.jpg


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014