ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Zodiac 07-10-2006 06:50 PM

Bicycle thread
 
So I haven't exercised in well over 2 yrs, seriously.

And I eat like a 16 yr old suburban kid, sleep like an air traffic controller, and drink like a sailor.

When I was a kid I was somewhat serious about bicycling, at least from around 13 to 18 yrs. I did club rides for my age group, did a few centuries, and long freestyle tours solo, and with groups. I even rode a Mtn bike when no one knew what they were. Then (as I got more into motorcycling) I went to running for a good 5 yrs. but that faded out as my lower back became worse (from two accidents, one car, one motorcycle),

So I'm thinking of getting back into cycling. I have a very good Klein mountain bike but I find it's not geared for city use (geared too low), and even with the thinnest hybrid tires, it still whirs as I'm moving along.

I'm thinking of getting a decent road bike, but not sure what "type".

I seem to be drawn to the time trial style bike, because of the handlebars/shifter/elbow pads. They seem great for cranking hard, cardio, etc, but they also seem too "trick" with the small wheelbase.

I'd like all you cycle nerds to help me out with advice on bike style, and brand. I hear they're all made in China now anyway, even Cannondale....

Thanks.

Zodiac 07-10-2006 07:02 PM

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6RM3.html

dirtypumpkin 07-10-2006 07:20 PM

If you didnt plan on riding it in your city Id say get it.
Otherwise Id want a full susp with at least 5 inch travel front & rear.:D

Im doing about 60 a week now, slowly working my way back to 140.
Used to do a 20 mile round trip to college 5 days a week and 40 on weekends.
After I bought the KLX400 my mountain bike took a long break...:cry

Still on my 6 yr old DBR full susp cross country, still pretty light.
Has front & rear lockouts for pavement or hills.

I would have a roadie too but I like the dirt so much more and live near
a great river with far to many opportunities to drop off the paved trail.

http://www.mtbr.com/channels/mtbrevi...uct_349707.jpg

Omi 07-10-2006 07:25 PM

Get a cyclocross bike. You can't beat it for riding in the city.

Zodiac 07-10-2006 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawidual
If you didnt plan on riding it in your city Id say get it.
Otherwise Id want a full susp with at least 5 inch travel front & rear.:D

Im doing about 60 a week now, slowly working my way back to 140.
Used to do a 20 mile round trip to college 5 days a week and 40 on weekends.
After I bought the KLX400 my mountain bike took a long break...:cry

Still on my 6 yr old DBR full susp cross country, still pretty light.
Has front & rear lockouts for pavement or hills.

I would have a roadie too but I like the dirt so much more and live near
a great river with far to many opportunities to drop off the paved trail.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Bike_ful...99_DBR-XR8.jpg

That's cool, but I already have a good hardtail MTN bike.

Since I don't have any country near my pad, I'll be looping Central Park at night, it's actually a pretty nice road with twists and hills, nice pavement too.

Zodiac 07-10-2006 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
Get a cyclocross bike. You can't beat it for riding in the city.

What exactly is that - looks like a roadbike with thin knobbies....?

dirtypumpkin 07-10-2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
What exactly is that - looks like a roadbike with thin knobbies....?

Yeah, pretty much.

The technique could come in handy living in NY. :D

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...ss-thekick.jpg

AKDuc 07-10-2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
What exactly is that - looks like a roadbike with thin knobbies....?

Yeah, but with a little more relaxed frame angles.

I can't imagine why your Klien would be "whirring." There are a lot of road tires to choose from in 26". And you know putting new chainrings or cluster on the rear is simple and inexpensive, right?

If you're planning on big mileage then yeah spend the money on something you can change hand and arm positions on.

I love ridin my recumbent now but I wouldn't want to ride it in traffic.

Good luck and have fun! Mark H.

terry.mc 07-10-2006 08:00 PM

:tb cross bikes....

I just got a road bike a few weeks ago, and have hit an hour per day 5 days a week on it.

Make sure you get a bike that fits, or you just wont ride it.

Zodiac 07-10-2006 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKDuc
Yeah, but with a little more relaxed frame angles.

I can't imagine why your Klien would be "whirring." There are a lot of road tires to choose from in 26". And you know putting new chainrings or cluster on the rear is simple and inexpensive, right?

If you're planning on big mileage then yeah spend the money on something you can change hand and arm positions on.

I love ridin my recumbent now but I wouldn't want to ride it in traffic.

Good luck and have fun! Mark H.



I think it's the gearing that's throwing me off. I'm peddaling to quick, like I'm stuck in 2nd gear (on my GS...).

To change the rear cassette, chain, chainring, front derailleur, and pedals (I have MTN bike style Bontrager clip ons (which float unlike road pedals), seems too expensive. I added it up and it would be like $400 and up to do.

Doesn't make sense since the frame is still ergo'd for MTN biking.

Thanks for the advice.

dirtypumpkin 07-10-2006 08:18 PM

You could swap out the tall sprocket and chain as a quick fix and maybe $60?
Try and find a 50 or 52 in your bolt pattern.
Probably running a 44/34/24 on your Klien.
My CC MTB is a 48/38/28 with 9 rear.

Just a quick fix of course, I see nothing wrong with owning 2 or 3 bikes.:D

Fat Toney 07-10-2006 08:49 PM

naked bicycle forum now...(girls that is)

Omi 07-10-2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Toney
naked bicycle forum now...(girls that is)

http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/

koncha 07-11-2006 06:58 AM

I was just shopping for a new bike yesterday. I just ride around town and pull a Burley with my kids in it so I wasn't looking for anything too expensive or with any suspension. This is the bike that stood out most for me:

http://www2.trekbikes.com/images/bik...lackchrome.jpg

Trek 7.3 Disk. $600.

Twilight Error 07-11-2006 07:10 AM

http://konaworld.com/Prod/000000348/2K6_DRDEW_650.jpg

Konaworld.com :thumb


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014