ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

pilot 06-27-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
You sold the Versys?

:ear

M

No, still have that, but once you ride a KLR, you're a cheap bastidge forever. :dunno

Actually, the Rockhoppers aren't that bad. There are several used ones of older vintage locally on CL. I have the patience to wait for the right one.

pierce 06-27-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot
No, still have that, but once you ride a KLR, you're a cheap bastidge forever. :dunno

Actually, the Rockhoppers aren't that bad. There are several used ones of older vintage locally on CL. I have the patience to wait for the right one.

specialized has full data on bikes back to 2002 on their website, and www.bikepedia.com has them back to 1993. often used bikes aren't quite whats advertised, i've found matching the color scheme up to the equipment usually lets you nail it down....

note there's a lot of subversions of a given Specialized model like the Rockhopper, for instance, plain, sport, comp, elite, etc, depending on the year. most of the difference is in the parts. sometimes the higher end ones have a upgraded frame, other times they are all the same.

pilot 06-27-2010 04:25 PM

The price also rises dramatically as the features pile on. The base model will satisfy me, so one with more whistles and bells would only be a bonus.

pierce 06-27-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilot
The price also rises dramatically as the features pile on. The base model will satisfy me, so one with more whistles and bells would only be a bonus.

well, other than disc brakes on some versions with 'disc' in the name, and full suspension on the FSR models, there really aren't 'features' on the various Rockhopper models, just better quality parts. and the mix varies by year. Like, the 2003 comp and pro has better forks than the base, the pro has better handle bars than the base, the pro has cantis instead of the vbrakes on the base and comp, the pro and comp have nicer pedals, the pro has nicer rims, presta valves, lighter seat

EvilGenius 06-27-2010 08:48 PM

How long does the average bike suspension last?

Blur 06-27-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilGenius

I gotta Turner Sultan with a Fox RP23 on the rear. It's about 17 months old and I rarely even check the air in it. I went on a ride a couple weeks ago, wondered whether I needed to add air, checked my sag, it was fine. Even if you run into a problem, various manufacturers make rebuilt kits for their shocks.

I converted my 3 year old Reba fork from air to spring when I got the Sultan and don't even think about it any more.

Gummee! 06-27-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Depends on how fat your wallet gets and how jealous you are of yer riding buddy's new boinger.

IOW 'it depends.'

If it helps, I'm still riding an 80mm late 90s Marzocchi Bomber. Needs another rebuild, but then, it needed one when I bought it.

@ Pilot: the frames are all the same, its the parts that vary. Get the one that's in the best shape and upgrade as ya break things.

M

Crocodile Tears 06-27-2010 09:45 PM

well, even though I'm poorer than sin, I finally pulled the trigger on getting a new bike. Picked up this little gem on friday, a jamis trail x3
<input id="post_form_id" name="post_form_id" value="cba50ba57145a9d4cb4e1aa3c4c51187" autocomplete="off" type="hidden"><table><tbody><tr><td align="center" width="100%">
</td><td valign="middle">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7722526_n.jpg

Rides alright, reasonably light, pretty cheap. Its a 17" frame. Probably should have held out for a durango 1, but this should do well for some light duty trail riding and around town commuting either way. I put 25 miles on it saturday, my legs still feel like jelly, let alone the ass region. Not a particularly comfy seat haha. Also managed to endo it doing nose wheelies - the disks are a little grabby compared to the rim brakes on the old roadmaster! I think I may have to go bitch to the shop though, as the fork seals appear to be leaking. Hopefully this isnt a sign of things to come.

I think next I'll be getting clip in pedals. Anybody have any reccomendations? For a college kid too, so think champagne on a beer budget.

Off the grid 06-27-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

For the record, my Zokes Z3 was only serviced twice, and that was well over 10 years ago when I was riding a lot. The seals have never leaked and the fork still has smooth, stiction-free action.

Motocicletta 06-27-2010 10:11 PM

Last Sarurday

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs528...._2286181_n.jpg

PCH > Encinal > Latigo > PCH. 65 mi. 6,481 ft elevation. A good motorcycle ride too.

TheNedster 06-27-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmaki
I think next I'll be getting clip in pedals. Anybody have any reccomendations? For a college kid too, so think champagne on a beer budget.

I have a pair of Shimano M-520s on my MTB. Not the prettiest or the lightest, but they work well and have proven to be very durable. I think they come in at around 50-60 bucks (per pair) from most places.

pierce 06-28-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

note that the average suspension bike is setup for something like a 140 lb rider from the factory.

if you have air shocks like Fox Float, you can just pump them up harder, but spring forks will require a much heavier spring for a 200+ lber, and depending on the fork, these may be hard to get and may still be inadequate (heaviest spring for the forks on my '01 stumpie FSR was for a 180-200 lb rider, I'm 225 lbs still).

dayum, rode my /old/ stumpie last night, a quick 10 mile or so around town loop, the '83, no suspension, heavy as a tank. one pedal was making funky noises, so I tore it down when I got back. $#@$#@$ 26 tiny little ball bearings. cleaned everything, repacked it and musta gotten a bearing or two in the wrong place because its worse :( pedals are some vintage Tioga Surefoot III's, nicely made. Sure, I could just slap some $10 chinese pedals on this thing, but I'd like to keep it original.

its been so long I've forgotten, how much grease should you use on those loose bearings-n-cones setups? I pretty much filled the cone area with grease, then dropped the bearings into it and screwed the other cone down, expecting that cone to push the bearings into place, but I'm betting some floated in the grease....

should I instead like qtip the fixed cone with a thin layer of grease and place the bearings in their little circle with a toothpick or something, then goober more grease onto the adjuster cone, and screw it down?

nomiles 06-28-2010 08:24 AM

Rih

Old school.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oc4mw_s162w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oc4mw_s162w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

RIH was formed in 1921 by the Bustraan brothers in Amsterdam Holland.
The name RIH is for the name of an Arabian stallion ridden by one of the characters in a Karl May novel which was very popular at the time
(and still are in Europe).

RIH's first championship was in 1924 when Jan Hijzelendoorn (a butcher) rode a Bustraan brothers frame to the sprint and 1 kilometer titles in the Dutch National Champions.

In 1928 the firm moved to its present address in Amsterdam Also in 1928 Willem Bustraan Jr joined the business with his father and Uncle.
In 1948 Wim van der Kaaij joined the RIH business as an apprentice, he is the current owner of RIH

It is estimated that RIH frames have been ridden to over 350 national championships in both road and track events and 63 World-and Olympic titles.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F0fQ9XwaKVQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F0fQ9XwaKVQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Gummee! 06-28-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster
I have a pair of Shimano M-520s on my MTB. Not the prettiest or the lightest, but they work well and have proven to be very durable. I think they come in at around 50-60 bucks (per pair) from most places.

I'm partial to ATACs, but whatever you run, you WILL fall.

Everybody does. Set the cleats loose to start with and tighten as you get useta em

M

ducnut 06-28-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmaki

You should borrow a set of pedals and shoes to try, before committing to them. I ride clipless on the road and thought that might be the way on my MTB. Several people I know ride their MTB's clipless, too. However, I found it very akward because I use a lot of "body english" on my MTB; like my BMX days. I find that I move my feet all over the pedals, especially, in turns. I like the freedom and am willing to give up some efficiency for that.

One test you can try is to ride a railroad tie or curb lengthwise. Do you find that you're moving your feet around, to maintain balance? If so, you might skip going clipless.

Edit: The local, fastest and craziest MTB rider rides platforms and Vans. He rides like that on all 3 of his bikes, including his DH bike.

BTW, nice looking Jamis. :thumb

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:50 AM.