ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 07-04-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Don't sweat it - you're not used to riding in the flatlands.

I used to ride with some retirees - The Rusty Chain gang they called themselves. Kicked my ass coming and going. But they waited for me at major turns.

I've BTDT. Its not fun. Ya gotta remember these guys have developed a rhythmn (sp?) over time and you don't know what that is. There's a Tues+Thurs ride in Sandy Eggo like that. Hammer here. Rest there. Repeat. Takes a while to get the flow.

Knowing where yer going helps too. DAMHIK

One of the most important skills to learn is the shithook. Lets you ride at the front, but not in the rotation. :nod Basically you surf the rear of the paceline, keeping outta the way.

M

rajflyboy 07-04-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur
My family and I are in Florida this week. I showed up for the local ride. About 10 miles in, I was dropped like a wet turd. I sorta knew their route and after taking some wrong turns on my own was able to pick them up again.

Nothing like being dropped by guys in their 60's..... :lol3

Still got in 30+ miles though.
I think it'll help me get some stamina back for this weekend's hare scramble.
:clap

I hate when that happens :rofl

rbrsddn 07-04-2010 06:49 PM

Never underestimate old guys! My regular riding buddy is 58 and I'm 54, and he can leave me on long climbs. Doesn't piss me off. Just makes me want to ride more miles to get in better shape. I rode 43 miles yesterday, doing mostly long hills. I'm getting there...:1drink

pierce 07-04-2010 07:02 PM

I rode 10 or 12 miles today, including some grades... daughter and I rode from our house to scotts valley (about 7 miles), met my wife who drove my car w/ her bike on the rack, then rode around town, first to the fourth of july parade, then around town, before racking the bikes and driving home.



:ricky


oh... and the 50-34 front with the 13-32 rear gearing is working great. it shifts and runs just fine in the 50:32 crossover since I put the big ring near the middle of the chainline range, but when I shift the front into the 34: low range, I drop 2 sprockets in back, and can use the low range with 4-5 lower gears. most grades I was fine with the 34:28, but having one more step of 34:32 was a saver. and 50:28 or 50:32 is a fine starting gear on the flats. no more chain scraping at all. I think I'll finetune the shifter cable positions so the friction levers are in the best part of their range. right now, the 50T large front is all the way forward, and the 34T small ring is about in the middle. The beat up Shimano 105 front that I scored shifts great.

kbasa 07-05-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
I think the most important thing for newer riders is to try a different cadences to find the one that works for them. You need a special computer to give you an accurate count. If you don't have the cadence counter, just consciously spin at different rates. My best rides end up with a cadence count in the mid 80's.

Same here. I usually start off in the low 70s and as my knees warm up, I can increase my cadence to about 90. Between climbing and level riding, I usually wind up with a cadence in the low to mid 80s overall.

Gummee! 07-05-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
Never underestimate old guys! My regular riding buddy is 58 and I'm 54, and he can leave me on long climbs. Doesn't piss me off. Just makes me want to ride more miles to get in better shape. I rode 43 miles yesterday, doing mostly long hills. I'm getting there...:1drink

I was the old dood when my buddy Josh and I were riding. I'm a good 10 years older'n he is. He's also about 70# less than I am.

I'd tow him to the bottom of the hills and WHOOSH there he went. :nod

I figgered it out on day. If I wanted to climb the same speed as him, I'd hafta put out darn near double the wattage.

:eek1

Oh well.

M

rbrsddn 07-05-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I was the old dood when my buddy Josh and I were riding. I'm a good 10 years older'n he is. He's also about 70# less than I am.

I'd tow him to the bottom of the hills and WHOOSH there he went. :nod

I figgered it out on day. If I wanted to climb the same speed as him, I'd hafta put out darn near double the wattage.

:eek1

Oh well.

M

I've got about 20 lbs on Tim, but he just bought a sweet Trek Madone Carbon that can't weigh more than 16-17 lbs! Somehow we end the rides together! :freaky

rajflyboy 07-05-2010 04:07 PM

[quote=rbrsddn]Never underestimate old guys! My regular riding buddy is 58 and I'm 54, and he can leave me on long climbs. Doesn't piss me off. Just makes me want to ride more miles to get in better shape. I rode 43 miles yesterday, doing mostly long hills. I'm getting there...:1drink[/quote]

Keep up the good work. 43 Miles isn't too shabby!

fifthcircle 07-05-2010 04:27 PM

Anyone on here done an Epic Gravel ride, or Gravel Grinder?

I am signing up for the "Flint Hills Death Ride" that is at the end of the month, and was looking for any tips :huh
:lol3


:ear

Grrravel's Grrrreat! 07-05-2010 05:12 PM

[quote=fifthcircle]Anyone on here done an Epic Gravel ride, or Gravel Grinder?

I am signing up for the "Flint Hills Death Ride" that is at the end of the month, and was looking for any tips :huh
:lol3


:ear[I've done the death ride a few times. Hydration is key. take more liquids than you'd normally drink at that distance. Replenishing electrolytes is important too. It will be hot. Also, those flint hills rocks are hell on tires. ]

Bimble 07-05-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grrravel's Grrrreat!
I've done the death ride a few times. Hydration is key. take more liquids than you'd normally drink at that distance. Replenishing electrolytes is important too. It will be hot. Also, those flint hills rocks are hell on tires.

A local rider did the Dirty Kanza and said the same thing about the Flint Hills gravel. It ate up tires. Sounds like some gator skins might be in order as well as a camel back bladder or two.

pierce 07-05-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimble
A local rider did the Dirty Kanza and said the same thing about the Flint Hills gravel. It ate up tires. Sounds like some gator skins might be in order as well as a camel back bladder or two.

or kevlar/aramid/whatever lined tires like the Specialized Armadillo series. those things are tough.

rbrsddn 07-05-2010 07:00 PM

[quote=rajflyboy]
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
Never underestimate old guys! My regular riding buddy is 58 and I'm 54, and he can leave me on long climbs. Doesn't piss me off. Just makes me want to ride more miles to get in better shape. I rode 43 miles yesterday, doing mostly long hills. I'm getting there...:1drink[/quote]

Keep up the good work. 43 Miles isn't too shabby!

I've been leaving the Triumph in the barn the last few weekends, and riding the skinny bike Sat. and Sundays, along with the usual Tuesday 26 miler. Doing 100+ miles each week. Got a size 42 Vanson that was feeling a bit tight!:lol3 Feels good to be able to attack hills without slamming into the Wall!:D

Askel 07-05-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifthcircle
Anyone on here done an Epic Gravel ride, or Gravel Grinder?


:wave

I saw so many such queries leading people to my blog that I wrote a post specifically about the equipment I use on my gravel road rides. However, these are usually early season rides in the upper midwest, sounds like you've got a different climate to deal with.

fifthcircle 07-06-2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
:wave

I saw so many such queries leading people to my blog that I wrote a post specifically about the equipment I use on my gravel road rides. However, these are usually early season rides in the upper midwest, sounds like you've got a different climate to deal with.

A different climate would be the nicest way to put it. Kansas in late July will be crazy hot. I'll go check out your blog...

As for the flint stones (heh, get it :lol2 ) eating tires....I have brand new ones on the Gary Fisher Cobia, so I hope they work out ok. I know some folks have done the ride on cross bikes, so I'm not too concerned :D

Hydration, CHECK. I have a few camelbak's to choose from, and I have nuun, camelbak elixir, Heed, Perpetuem and lot's of gel's and stuff planned to take with me. I also have it on my google calendar to remind me 3 days before to start hydrating for it :deal


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015