ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Dahveed 07-15-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
my chain broke one of its links, not the master one. Luckily right in the middle of gg park so only a walk to the closest store. If i get one of those mini press tools and a spare link would i be able to remove a broken one and just install a spare ? it's got me thinking about the moto too

You might be able to score a spare link from a bike shop. Chains are frequently shorten before installation, so they may have those links hanging around. I've not heard of a broken chain before. I would replace the entire chain to ensure it doesn't break again.

MookieBlaylock 07-15-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
You might be able to score a spare link from a bike shop. Chains are frequently shorten before installation, so they may have those links hanging around. I've not heard of a broken chain before. I would replace the entire chain to ensure it doesn't break again.

yea they put an sram 951 in to replace the 971 that broke. Riding up the hill though sucked cuz something was still wrong and it was skipping. So i took it to the go to shop and new chainrings should straighten things out.

I was thinking if that happened way out there it would have been quite a walk so a mini press tool and a link might be enough to get rolling, or not:eek1

pierce 07-15-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

yea they put an sram 951 in to replace the 971 that broke. Riding up the hill though sucked cuz something was still wrong and it was skipping. So i took it to the go to shop and new chainrings should straighten things out.

I was thinking if that happened way out there it would have been quite a walk so a mini press tool and a link might be enough to get rolling, or not:eek1

yeah, a chain punch is a good investment if you like to do it yourself.... my home toolkit now includes a crank puller, shimano bb tool, and a chain punch. next on my list is a cassette tool.

do be sure you know how to use the punch before you need it in a pinch!

Gummee! 07-15-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Cogs in the back or chainrings in the front?

Chainrings shouldn't be worn nearly as much as the cogs in the back...

Just sayin

M

Gummee! 07-15-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
yeah, a chain punch is a good investment if you like to do it yourself.... my home toolkit now includes a crank puller, shimano bb tool, and a chain punch. next on my list is a cassette tool.

do be sure you know how to use the punch before you need it in a pinch!

Practice on the old chain. That way you don't fuck up the new one!

DAMHIK how this is important.

:bluduh

Oh, and if yer a mtn biker, make sure you know how to make yer bike a SS before you needta know that.

Again, DAMHIK

:bluduh

M

pierce 07-15-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Oh, and if yer a mtn biker, make sure you know how to make yer bike a SS before you needta know that.

heh. I rode the cruiser-thing I jsut built around my driveway a bunch as a singlespeed without derailleurs

bummer, on a bike with newer style vertical dropouts, you have to try various gears to find one thats not too loose before you cut the chain, you can't take up a half link of slack in the dropout.

Dahveed 07-15-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

I'm not familiar with SRAM chains, but the Shimano's use a single use pin. I remember the good ole days when you pushed a pin mostly out and then pushed it back again.

If your chain has stretched then you likely have deformed the teeth on the cogs on the cassette and should be replaced when the chain is replaced or you'll continue to have shifting problems and will likely damage the chain.

The chain checking tool is a good investment to your shop unless you take your bike in frequently. Its a stamped piece of metal that should cost $0.75 or so, but they sell for $6 or $7. If you take your bike to the shop frequently ask them to check it for you.

Does anyone ride with a chain breaker? I don't. I have a cell phone instead.

Oznerol 07-15-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
I'm not familiar with SRAM chains, but the Shimano's use a single use pin. I remember the good ole days when you pushed a pin mostly out and then pushed it back again.

[...]

Does anyone ride with a chain breaker? I don't. I have a cell phone instead.

I carry a compact folding chain breaker. Early on after I rediscovered cycling, I had a rash of broken chains, and discovered that the breaker on my multi-tool sucked.

I haven't had nearly as many chain breakages since I stopped trying to break/reassemble modern chains by pushing a pin mostly out, then back in. But I still carry the chain tool, and a spare power link, and every once in a while find myself needing it. I'm not going to make my girlfriend drive a 2-hour round trip to collect my broken-down ass just to spare an ounce or two from my toolkit.

Dahveed 07-15-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
I'm not going to make my girlfriend drive a 2-hour round trip to collect my broken-down ass just to spare an ounce or two from my toolkit.

Perhaps this explains why you have a GF and I don't... :cry

Bongolia 07-16-2010 01:56 AM

New Bike

This one has pedals:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/P1000262.jpg

ducnut 07-16-2010 05:29 AM

^^^ Ooooh! Love the color and graphics. Looks really nice.

Dranrab Luap 07-16-2010 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol
I carry a compact folding chain breaker. Early on after I rediscovered cycling, I had a rash of broken chains, and discovered that the breaker on my multi-tool sucked.

I haven't had nearly as many chain breakages since I stopped trying to break/reassemble modern chains by pushing a pin mostly out, then back in. But I still carry the chain tool, and a spare power link, and every once in a while find myself needing it. I'm not going to make my girlfriend drive a 2-hour round trip to collect my broken-down ass just to spare an ounce or two from my toolkit.

I haven't disassembled a chain in a while. If you are not pushing the pin almost all the way out and back in, how are you doing it and why?

Oznerol 07-16-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
I haven't disassembled a chain in a while. If you are not pushing the pin almost all the way out and back in, how are you doing it and why?

I use a SRAM power link. Sometimes requires a pair of pliers to get it apart, but I'm only intentionally disassembling a chain at home where I've got all my tools, anyways. They work fine with Shimano chains, too.

I also carry a spare power link in my toolkit to repair a chain that breaks on the road.

bostonsr 07-16-2010 06:44 AM

god this thread sucks. bicycles are stupid. what a waste of bandwidth, Zodiac. loser.

abe

Gummee! 07-16-2010 06:46 AM

I don't think the fish are biting...

:nah

Needta try different bait.

:nod

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:33 PM.