ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Zodiac 07-16-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier
Thank you sir. Right now I have Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels, which are pretty much middle of road wheels, I think they could roll better. Any suggestion on a good hub?


What are you using them for, road, tour, commute, cross, dirt? What kind of bike?

Personally, if you want a sweet set of hubs you go Phil Wood, and choose your options; spokes(#), dish, etc.

Build your wheels around that, they'll last forever, into family heirlooms.

:D http://cdperry.smugmug.com/photos/216671147_imdDM-L.jpg

jocflier 07-16-2010 06:46 PM

Bike is a look 566 . Just road bike training ect. Too old to race. will check in to Woods

Thanks

Zodiac 07-16-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier
Bike is a look 566 . Just road bike training ect. Too old to race. will check in to Woods

Thanks


Check them out here =

http://www.bikecult.com/works/parts.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/hubs.html

scroll down to Phil Wood stuff.

Askel 07-17-2010 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier
I think they could roll better. Any suggestion on a good hub?

Roll better how, exactly? Lighter? More aero? Do you just need some bearing work in your hubs?


Personally, I think sealed bearing hubs are a load of crap, but that's just personal opinion based on lots of anecdotal evidence. Plus I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't mind spinning a cone wrench now and then.

rbrsddn 07-17-2010 06:37 AM

Get some smoother tires. Then they will roll much better!:deal I have some Chris King hubs on my Mtn bike. Like the Phil woods, they are works of art.

trailer Rails 07-17-2010 06:44 AM

I know a lot of people who run ceramic bearings and say they make a huge difference. Like 2% better rolling. I know, that is not much to us non-racers, but when these guys are racing 2% is huge.

Dranrab Luap 07-17-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
I know a lot of people who run ceramic bearings and say they make a huge difference. Like 2% better rolling. I know, that is not much to us non-racers, but when these guys are racing 2% is huge.

Your screen name leads me to think you might be involved in rails to trails. Is that the case or is it something else?

Steverino 07-17-2010 07:41 AM

30 miles this am. On knobbies on the road. Going to get some smoother tires for the 29er. Will 700c tires go on the rims or do I need specific 29er tires.

Total of 90 miles since last Sat. Glad to be riding again even if it is slow and on the road for now.

Dahveed 07-17-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
I know a lot of people who run ceramic bearings and say they make a huge difference. Like 2% better rolling. I know, that is not much to us non-racers, but when these guys are racing 2% is huge.

Can you run ceramic bearings in any hub or does it need to be specially designed for ceramics?

jocflier 07-17-2010 08:25 AM

I am really just trying to learn more about my bike. I am a big guy so putting $400.00 hubs on my bike would be like taking a chair off the Queen Mary and bragging about how much lighter it is.

Right now it is more about making circles and losing weight. But it is good to know about the what if's. Like crank arm length.:huh

Thanks


Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Roll better how, exactly? Lighter? More aero? Do you just need some bearing work in your hubs?


Personally, I think sealed bearing hubs are a load of crap, but that's just personal opinion based on lots of anecdotal evidence. Plus I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't mind spinning a cone wrench now and then.


Zodiac 07-17-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
I know a lot of people who run ceramic bearings and say they make a huge difference. Like 2% better rolling. I know, that is not much to us non-racers, but when these guys are racing 2% is huge.

Aren't ceramics almost exclusively in sealed cartridges anyway? Least the one's I've seen were.

Gummee! 07-17-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier
To those who commute every day, or bicycle messengers in San Francisco, You are Gods.:bow

Having a furlough day today, I went out and put in 30 in this morning. I am one of those 5:30 6:00 am start time kind of guys. So by the time I head back to the barn, it right during morning commute.

Two words...Fuck that:eek1 Big ass trucks, people trying to beat the light, cell phone caller. I was never more happy to be home safe and sound in my life.:lol3

Joc.:D

Ya get used to it.

:nod

M

Gummee! 07-17-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocflier
Bike is a look 566 . Just road bike training ect. Too old to race. will check in to Woods

Thanks

My personal opinon after riding 20+ years is train on 32h wheels and leave the boutique stuff for fast training rides and/or racing. :nod I have a few pairs of 32h wheels that are from the mid-90s and rarely need truing.

My personal favorites have always been D/A with 32 DB spokes and brass nipples with the rim of your choice: Open Pro, Aerohead, DT whatsit, Ambrosio whatsit, etc.

The wheelset I'm riding most are Reflex Ceramics from a buddy that raced for Subaru-Montgomery. They slide in between O4CDs and the new Open Pros if that give you an idea what vintage they are.

M

Gummee! 07-17-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
Get some smoother tires. Then they will roll much better!:deal I have some Chris King hubs on my Mtn bike. Like the Phil woods, they are works of art.

The Vredstein Vortezzas that PBS sells for $25 roll as nice as any I've ridden. To include Vittorias.

M

Gummee! 07-17-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverino
30 miles this am. On knobbies on the road. Going to get some smoother tires for the 29er. Will 700c tires go on the rims or do I need specific 29er tires.

Total of 90 miles since last Sat. Glad to be riding again even if it is slow and on the road for now.

Someone quote this for Steve. He has me on ignore:

You can run 700c tires on the 29er. No worries. Cross tires are your best bet if you want nice tires. You can run pretty much anything bigger'n a 28c on those rims.

Oh, and the Roly Polys are nice riding tires. :nod Gotta get em from Rivendell tho. $$

I forget who makes those Big Apple tires that we were talking about above, but they seem to have a following. I've never personally ridden em tho.

IF you wanna go skinny road tires, ya gotta get narrower rims. :nod

HTH

M


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014