ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

pierce 07-20-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Hey Pierce, are you the same Pierce responding to my question about a build on Bike Forums?

yeah, probably :) I just registered on that forum to ask some silly questions about my build.

zippy 07-20-2010 11:34 AM

product testing
 
For yesterdays commute home in record heat - 96 actual 102 feels like temp, I tried something different. I usually wear cycling shorts underneath a pair of oakley mountain bike shorts. Yesterday I wore just a cheap pair of compression shorts ( starter brand $10 at walmart) and they were as good ,probably better than cycling shorts for my 15 mile 1 hourish commute. I figured why sit on a sponge ? For longer rides it would be best to wear cycling shorts as a liner I am sure. But to beat the heat and for shorter rides the compression shorts as a liner worked great . FWIW

rbrsddn 07-20-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
yeah, probably :) I just registered on that forum to ask some silly questions about my build.

I've been on that forum for years. Check out the Road forum. Biggest bunch of crybabies over there.:cry :deal

pierce 07-20-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
I've been on that forum for years. Check out the Road forum. Biggest bunch of crybabies over there.:cry :deal

I'm very intentionally staying far away from the roadie forum. my one and only true roadbike is a 1975 vintage motobecane grand record, I'm the original owner, classic lugged double-butted 531, all campy (originally was partly campy), beat to death, in need of a fair amount of minor maintenance. who knows, if I lose 30 or 50 lbs, I might start riding it again!

ducnut 07-20-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel


<OBJECT height=385 width=640>
&nbsp
&nbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bekozAZSQS4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></OBJECT>

:D

Do you ride this event?

pierce 07-20-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Do you ride this event?

sponsored by all the tire makers, no doubt. :deal

Dranrab Luap 07-20-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
I've been on that forum for years. Check out the Road forum. Biggest bunch of crybabies over there.:cry :deal

There and Safety and Advocacy. I don't know that I have ever come across a bigger congregation of total nerds.

fifthcircle 07-20-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy
For yesterdays commute home in record heat - 96 actual 102 feels like temp, I tried something different. I usually wear cycling shorts underneath a pair of oakley mountain bike shorts. Yesterday I wore just a cheap pair of compression shorts ( starter brand $10 at walmart) and they were as good ,probably better than cycling shorts for my 15 mile 1 hourish commute. I figured why sit on a sponge ? For longer rides it would be best to wear cycling shorts as a liner I am sure. But to beat the heat and for shorter rides the compression shorts as a liner worked great . FWIW

I have become a big fan of "Tri Shorts". The chamois is much smaller than traditional bike shorts, and sometimes is just a piece of felt material. Love them in hot weather, and my Pearl Izumi's (have a chamois that is small) are plenty padded for rides lasting up to 3hrs.

Askel 07-20-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Do you ride this event?

It's just a little too far away for "only" a metric century. I need something a little more epic if I'm going to spend two full days driving to do it. :D

trailer Rails 07-20-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
see the gear its in? shouldn't be there, won't be there in normal use, anyways, there's plenty of takeup left in the rear.



big bull squat on that. :topes

I rode toeclips with cleats for YEARS on my old roadie, touring, racing, etc. OTOH, I'm taking a long serious look at "PowerGrips" for this bike.

http://www.powergrips.com/images/HP_PEDAL_KIT_LG.jpg

These look like I could use them with my Keen Newport sorta-sandals. that would be a huge bonus. I don't want to have to wear special shoes to ride this thing, but I wanna be able to spin smoother than I can on flat pedals.

You still have one more gear to shift up to. I bet it would be pretty tight in that gear. What happens if you break a chain and need to take a link out? As long as you know not to use those gears you should be OK.

Power grips are definitely a step up from toe clips.

pierce 07-20-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
You still have one more gear to shift up to. I bet it would be pretty tight in that gear. What happens if you break a chain and need to take a link out? As long as you know not to use those gears you should be OK.

Power grips are definitely a step up from toe clips.

actually, it reaches the 50:34 just fine, and has just barely enough tension on the other extreme, 34:13 (its a 50-34T front and a 13-34T rear). I set that chain length according to the book (wrap it on the two biggest gears and add 3 links).

If I break a chain on this bike, I walk home, or to the nearest bikeshop :D its just for kicking around town, not riding cross country.

nomiles 07-20-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails

Power grips are definitely a step up from toe clips.

Not even close.

pierce 07-20-2010 07:20 PM

it looks like you need tools to adjust the powergrips, that could be annoying if you ride with various different street shoes...

slackmeyer 07-20-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
it looks like you need tools to adjust the powergrips, that could be annoying if you ride with various different street shoes...

That's what I meant in my earlier post- if you're always riding around in similar tennies, they're fine. If you go between workboots and wingtips, it's not going to be just right all the time. But if you're riding in workboots and wingtips, you probably are not worried about max pedaling efficiency.

I like how you can use the flat pedal and not scrape toeclip cages on the ground when you're a hair leaned over, too.

pierce 07-20-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackmeyer
That's what I meant in my earlier post- if you're always riding around in similar tennies, they're fine. If you go between workboots and wingtips, it's not going to be just right all the time. But if you're riding in workboots and wingtips, you probably are not worried about max pedaling efficiency.

I like how you can use the flat pedal and not scrape toeclip cages on the ground when you're a hair leaned over, too.

huh, never had that problem on my old roadie... occasionally would scrape the edge of the pedal, thats always exciting on a high speed turn :D

anyways, your toe shouldn't be pointed down at the bottom of the stroke, if anything, your heel should be down a bit.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014