ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

ducnut 07-23-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
The way we figure, if you're going to ride the whole thing anyway- why not just show up for the grand depart and give it a shot anyway? You can always turn it into a tour when things go to hell....

Because city slicker me will show up with my 'cross bike, pulling a BOB trailer, and get laughed all the way back to the cornfields. I don't think there's even a hint of badass-ed-ness in me. Those people exude it.

My ultimate dream is to ride the Lewis & Clark out, Northern Tier west, Great Divide south, and maybe pick up the Trans Am (different from the TAT) for home. IDK. Just dreamin', at this point. I've got the bike setup, already. Need to get my pickup paid off (2yrs left). Then, I'll be closer to doing it.

Gummee! 07-23-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut
Because city slicker me will show up with my 'cross bike, pulling a BOB trailer, and get laughed all the way back to the cornfields. I don't think there's even a hint of badass-ed-ness in me. Those people exude it.

My ultimate dream is to ride the Lewis & Clark out, Northern Tier west, Great Divide south, and maybe pick up the Trans Am (different from the TAT) for home. IDK. Just dreamin', at this point. I've got the bike setup, already. Need to get my pickup paid off (2yrs left). Then, I'll be closer to doing it.

If I'm not doing anything at the time, I'll ride the CDT with ya.

I'd like to do it on MCs too for that matter. :nod

You see the post that BigDog posted up about the unicyclists riding the CDT? (least I think it was BigDog) :ear

M

Mr Head 07-23-2010 08:43 PM

Well, the old Pinarello has an issue I need to address. The stem and handlebars are wiggly. I have a Cinelli stem that has this goofy wedge thing in it and I bet that once upon a time it got torqued hard enough since the thread is backwards to bend the bar.

Question is where in the Seattle,/Everett area is a good source?

OR I could just keep riding until i tear the thing apart, and go buy what I really want...:evil

ducnut 07-23-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
If I'm not doing anything at the time, I'll ride the CDT with ya.

I'd like to do it on MCs too for that matter. :nod

You see the post that BigDog posted up about the unicyclists riding the CDT? (least I think it was BigDog) :ear

M

Dude, I hope you're employed, by then. :eek1

I'd like to come out and ride MTB's, now. But, I'm still recovering from double carpal tunnel releases, double ulnar transpositions, and a mass removal from a tendon in my hand. I haven't worked, since 4-17. And, will probably be off another month. I have 1/10th of my left grip, in my right hand. I'm right handed, so there was a lot more nerve damage in that one.

Actually, that was "Questor" and "MotoAdventureGal" who ran across the unicyclists. Those two are some hellacious travellers.

Dahveed 07-23-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah, which motorcycle you taking for this little trip?

Gummee! 07-23-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
Well, the old Pinarello has an issue I need to address. The stem and handlebars are wiggly. I have a Cinelli stem that has this goofy wedge thing in it and I bet that once upon a time it got torqued hard enough since the thread is backwards to bend the bar.

Question is where in the Seattle,/Everett area is a good source?

OR I could just keep riding until i tear the thing apart, and go buy what I really want...:evil

I have a 12cm Cinelli stem if ya need it. I forget which model, but it sounds like yours. (may be an 11.5cm :dunno without looking. Lemme know)

Trade ya for them hubs you've already given me.

Failing that, you're pretty SOL with the 26.4mm bars unless ya just happen onto something in the corner of a dusty old shop.

M

Gummee! 07-23-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Dude, I hope you're employed, by then. :eek1

I'd like to come out and ride MTB's, now. But, I'm still recovering from double carpal tunnel releases, double ulnar transpositions, and a mass removal from a tendon in my hand. I haven't worked, since 4-17. And, will probably be off another month. I have 1/10th of my left grip, in my right hand. I'm right handed, so there was a lot more nerve damage in that one.

Actually, that was "Questor" and "MotoAdventureGal" who ran across the unicyclists. Those two are some hellacious travellers.

I hope I'm employed by then too!

When yer ready you've got crash space, tools, and a workstand waiting. Oh and a mechanic if you're not inclined that way. Ya gotta promise to take it easy on me tho. :shog

M

ducnut 07-23-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
Yeah, which motorcycle you taking for this little trip?

Uhhhhh.....'09 Specialized Tricross Comp. :lol3

Quote:

When yer ready you've got crash space, tools, and a workstand waiting. Oh and a mechanic if you're not inclined that way. Ya gotta promise to take it easy on me tho. :shog

Cool! I appreciate the offering. I've not looked around the warmshowers.com site, yet. But, I may want to utilize their services, too.

After watching Ride the Divide, I think companionship is essential for mental health. This would explain why so many on the ACA site seek companions for their trips. I've always thought that solo would be much less hassle. IDK. I need to do some multi-day solo stuff and figure it out. I'm doing a 3 day trip, next week, with my GF. Should be fun!

rajflyboy 07-24-2010 05:41 AM

Floyd comes out on National TV and says that Lance is a doper. Another guys wife also said that Lance is a Doper

This shit is getting Knee deep

Dahveed 07-24-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajflyboy
Floyd comes out on National TV and says that Lance is a doper. Another guys wife also said that Lance is a Doper

Yeah, lots of people have claimed to seen a big foot or aliens. I'm not saying this hasn't happened, but it gonna need some scientific support for me to believe it. The guy has been tested and tested and tested. He's passed all of them to my knowledge.

Gummee! 07-24-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajflyboy

We KNOW you think LA is on the juice.

We can all read velonews and cyclingnews.

Dood. Give it a fucking rest already.

M

Steverino 07-24-2010 08:00 AM

My poser bike. Disc brakes, 29er, running 700x28c tires. Riding it about 120 miles a week right now. :thumb

http://steverino.smugmug.com/Cycling...9_otWVi-XL.jpg

trailer Rails 07-24-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverino
My poser bike. Disc brakes, 29er, running 700x28c tires. Riding it about 120 miles a week right now. :thumb

http://steverino.smugmug.com/Cycling...9_otWVi-XL.jpg

Is that an x-cal with mavic wheels? Those wheels are bombproof.

Mr Head 07-24-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

I have a 12cm Cinelli stem if ya need it. I forget which model, but it sounds like yours. (may be an 11.5cm :dunno without looking. Lemme know)

Trade ya for them hubs you've already given me.

Failing that, you're pretty SOL with the 26.4mm bars unless ya just happen onto something in the corner of a dusty old shop.

M

Well, I'll to do some measuring now. I definitely have a chest cold this morning. My favorite sort of cold in the summer.:kboom

I'm thinking more sleep... Thanks for the help though I think I forgot everything I once knew about the sizes of stuff on this bike. :lol3
I'll blame that on wear and tear. OK, maybe :1drink

Off to bed...

Steverino 07-24-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailer Rails
Is that an x-cal with mavic wheels? Those wheels are bombproof.

The wheels are mavic, but the bike is a Performance house brand Access. All I needed to get started riding again. Well under $1k with Juicy 5 discs, decent components, and a Rox Shox Tora fork.

Doing road duty for three months and then back to the woods for me. :thumb

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:25 AM.