ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Mr Head 07-22-2010 07:23 AM

Rode for 2:15 last night from Bothell to just about the end down past Lake Union. About 34 miles.
A trail known as the Burke Gilman Trail. My sportstracker lost the GPS plot on the way back so I lost a few miles of recording.
Hammered my quads real good. Calves began cramping so I switched to a lighter spin. At about 5 miles out from the car I was down to near my lowest gear but still maintaining a pretty good pace for me. Only 1,700 feet of climbing which as it turned out was more than enough.

One bad thing is I noticed my stem is getting loose at the bars. Now, I'm going to need to go searching for a vintage stem and maybe bars I expect. :huh

Mercury264 07-22-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
Once you go clipless, you'll wonder why it took you so long! On the road bike especially, you can use you hams and glutes to pull the pedals back up, getting power delivery the whole revolution.

I have yet to master that technique.

Off the grid 07-22-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
I have yet to master that technique.

Greg LeMond, sore pussy and all, described it as "scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe" at the bottom of the stroke.

So that's how I've always pictured it.

pierce 07-22-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn
Once you go clipless, you'll wonder why it took you so long! On the road bike especially, you can use you hams and glutes to pull the pedals back up, getting power delivery the whole revolution.

you get exactly the same results from toe-clips, especially when used with cleated shoes.

but, in my case at least, I'm currently riding a 'hybrid' aka 'comfort' bike, albeit one being setup for a little more speed than typical (flat bars set at seat height, 700x38 high pressure tires, 50T chain ring), and its a bike I'll mostly be riding in street shoes and keen sorta-sandals. I'm considering the powergrips as an alternative to conventional toeclips.

Zodiac 07-22-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off the grid
Greg LeMond, sore pussy and all, described it as "scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe" at the bottom of the stroke.

So that's how I've always pictured it.

Sorry OTG -but he was no pussy... he should have won 5 TDFs instead of just 3, and won one after being shot in the back and riding with a few pounds of buckshot in his blood, which actually poisoned him.

He also had a higher recorded anaerobic threshold than LA which I seem to recall, and won the closest TDF to date.

You may not like his words in his retirement years, but the man was no slouch....:deal

Off the grid 07-22-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac
Sorry OTG -but he was no pussy... he should have won 5 TDFs instead of just 3, and won one after being shot in the back and riding with a few pounds of buckshot in his blood, which actually poisoned him.

He also had a higher recorded anaerobic threshold than LA which I seem to recall, and won the closest TDF to date.

You may not like his words in his retirement years, but the man was no slouch....:deal

I am in no way lambasting the mans accomplishments, however his actions towards the greatest rider the sport has ever known is deplorable.

Zodiac 07-22-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off the grid
I am in no way lambasting the mans accomplishments, however his actions towards the greatest rider the sport has ever known is deplorable.


Got it, but he may know the scene a little more than us. Yes, he was bitter, as he received almost no respect here in the states from the non cycling community in the way LA has/had.


With the exception of being Sport's Illustrated MOY.

Javarilla 07-22-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
Rode for 2:15 last night from Bothell to just about the end down past Lake Union. About 34 miles.
A trail known as the Burke Gilman Trail. My sportstracker lost the GPS plot on the way back so I lost a few miles of recording.
Hammered my quads real good. Calves began cramping so I switched to a lighter spin. At about 5 miles out from the car I was down to near my lowest gear but still maintaining a pretty good pace for me. Only 1,700 feet of climbing which as it turned out was more than enough.

One bad thing is I noticed my stem is getting loose at the bars. Now, I'm going to need to go searching for a vintage stem and maybe bars I expect. :huh

Where'd you find 1700 foot of vertical on the Gilman? Are you cruising the hills of Bothell or something?

I have to toss in Phinney, Queen Anne and Magnolia to score any v's around my place.

Gummee! 07-22-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
Possibly, but I've given it some thought...

I have a hill on my commute that I would really like discs on. I melted a good chunk of front brake pad onto the rim when trying to avoid a taxi that decided he needed some of the 18" wide bike lane to make it through a left-hand sweeper.

Discs on mtn bikes and urban 'all weather' bikes makes the weight penalty make sense. :nod I've had discs. They stop the same wet or dry. Rim brakes? Not so much. Ceramic coatings on the rims helps, but don't eliminate the need for the brake pad to squeegee the rim dry before they hook up.

I even have a bike that'll take disc brakes. I just don't have the wheelset... ...or a job, so don't go pointing out how inexpensively you can get em!

M

Gummee! 07-22-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
you get exactly the same results from toe-clips, especially when used with cleated shoes.

No. You don't.

Quote:

but, in my case at least, I'm currently riding a 'hybrid' aka 'comfort' bike, albeit one being setup for a little more speed than typical (flat bars set at seat height, 700x38 high pressure tires, 50T chain ring), and its a bike I'll mostly be riding in street shoes and keen sorta-sandals. I'm considering the powergrips as an alternative to conventional toeclips.
In the case of your cruiser bike, clipless still makes sense as long as they're mtn clipless. BUT that means ya gotta go buy some Keen bicycling sandals to go with em.

:D

M

Gummee! 07-22-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac
Sorry OTG -but he was no pussy... he should have won 5 TDFs instead of just 3, and won one after being shot in the back and riding with a few pounds of buckshot in his blood, which actually poisoned him.

He also had a higher recorded anaerobic threshold than LA which I seem to recall, and won the closest TDF to date.

You may not like his words in his retirement years, but the man was no slouch....:deal

He wasn't saying he was a pussy, he's saying that LeMond is a whiney little bitch that can't stand being trumped by some guy from TX.

:nod

LeMond had a great run at it, but jealousy doesn't become him.

:nono

M

Javarilla 07-22-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
discs on an urban bike is just poseur points.

:lol3

You can just give me ALL the poseur points, then.

My urban ride is a Fargo with 185's fore and aft.

Gummee! 07-22-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javarilla
:lol3

You can just give me ALL the poseur points, then.

My urban ride is a Fargo with 185's fore and aft.

Yabbut...

yer HUGE! Takes a lot of brake to slow down a metric ton of Javarilla!

:razor

M

2whlrcr 07-22-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
He wasn't saying he was a pussy, he's saying that LeMond is a whiney little bitch that can't stand being trumped by some guy from TX.

:nod

LeMond had a great run at it, but jealousy doesn't become him.

:nono

M

I used to worship Lemond.

Too bad he turned into a dick.

ducnut 07-22-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heynowref

Anyway, I've got a bare frame I need to build up.
I've looked around a little and have been pretty surprised at the cost of a new component set.
Had someone suggest buying a complete bike from one of the cheap online place and using the components off of that. Not a bad idea.

Any other ideas?

Depends on what the frame is that you have, what wheels (if any) you have, what type of cockpit you prefer, and if you have a preference in a drivetrain.

There are some really nice, full-carbon Kestrels on one of the sites. If you have no attachment to your current frame, that'd be the way to go. Nytro offers a complete tri package for $2K, if you need everything. It's about the same money, either way, for the same bike.

You can go with a complete SRAM Apex groupset for under $1K. Then, whatever cockpit, wheels, seat, and pedals you prefer.

It's always a better value to buy a complete bike. The only way a buildup makes sense is if you have component preferences or already have a complete set.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014