ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

TheNedster 07-24-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster
Purchased everything I need to build up the frame I inherited from my brother last week. Jamis Durango 3.0 from 2006 or so. Mid-level, but way more MTB than I've ever had. It already has a fork, headset and stem and brakes. The wheelset shows up tomorrow and I picked up a chain, cables and tools today. Everything else will come from the my old ride. I've never tried to do anything like this before, the idea of rigging the ders, shifters and cables is kinda skeery:eek1 . But I figure that I'll learn best by doing. Or rather doing, dicking it up, and doing it over again. Repeatedly.

It's alive! ALIVE!!!! Got everything installed and tuned w/out any major drama. Taking it out tomorrow morning for the inaugural run. The bad news is that the "my bike is a POS" excuse is kaput.
For making this all possible, I'd like to thank my family, baby Jesus, my LBSes(LBSii?), JensonUSA, parktools.com, the late, great Sheldon Brown and the distinguished panel of experts in the advrider bicycle thread.:clap

Dahveed 07-24-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxermoose
http://boxermoose.smugmug.com/Other/...22_D5kWw-L.jpg

BTW - this Doc looks exactly like a younger Stephen King:eek1

And that device he has on your leg looks like something THE Stephen King would have in one of his stories...

boxermoose 07-24-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahveed
And that device he has on your leg looks like something THE Stephen King would have in one of his stories...

I'm calling it 'Christine":huh

Steverino 07-24-2010 04:24 PM

What is it fixing? Ouch, hurts to look at it.

Steverino 07-24-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

It's alive! ALIVE!!!! Got everything installed and tuned w/out any major drama. Taking it out tomorrow morning for the inaugural run. The bad news is that the "my bike is a POS" excuse is kaput.
For making this all possible, I'd like to thank my family, baby Jesus, my LBSes(LBSii?), JensonUSA, parktools.com, the late, great Sheldon Brown and the distinguished panel of experts in the advrider bicycle thread.:clap

Cool, I need to get a stand so I can work on mine when it needs it. Used to run a bike shop years ago and still have most of my tools. Problem is most don't fit the new bike.

Enjoy the ride.

Dranrab Luap 07-24-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Is your camera broken?

ImaPoser 07-24-2010 04:53 PM

How much pain am I in for?

I saw a sign at a nearby bike shop that said mitchell memorial forest MTB trail now open. That park is about four miles from my house, so I had to look in to it further. Here's the description:
Quote:

The trail was designed to meet International Mountain Biking Association standards specifically for mountain biking. This is an intermediate trail with moderate to steep terrain and some technical features ideal for mountain bikes. Helmets are strongly recommended.
Opened July 1st.

I've got my old mountain bike from college in the barn.
:uhoh

Dranrab Luap 07-24-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaPoser
How much pain am I in for?

I saw a sign at a nearby bike shop that said mitchell memorial forest MTB trail now open. That park is about four miles from my house, so I had to look in to it further. Here's the description:

Opened July 1st.

I've got my old mountain bike from college in the barn.
:uhoh

Report back to us once you do it. I'd love to have a decent MTB trail close to me.

Gummee! 07-24-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
Well, I'll to do some measuring now. I definitely have a chest cold this morning. My favorite sort of cold in the summer.:kboom

I'm thinking more sleep... Thanks for the help though I think I forgot everything I once knew about the sizes of stuff on this bike. :lol3
I'll blame that on wear and tear. OK, maybe :1drink

Off to bed...

There's a few ways to skin this cat.

#1 keep it original and go with a Cinelli stem and your old bars
#2 is go with a different bar/stem of 'modern' size still quill
#3 is get an adaptor and put a threadless stem on with a new bar

I have a few quill stems running around. I also have a Salsa 1" threadless stem that's 135mm long if you needta be stretched out. :augie

Of the 3, I'd go with the new quill stem and 'modern' dia bars. Makes it easier to go to any shop and get stuff.

Cinelli = 26.4mm
modern bars = 26.0mm (25.8 = same same basically)
oversized bars = 31.8mm

You CAN make a modern stem work on Cinelli bars, but it requires a chamfer on the edges of the plates that hold the stem on. :nod Did that on a few track bikes: ran Cinelli crit bars with Ritchey Pro stems

I know its more'n you wanted to know.

Lemme know whatcha wanna do

M

Gummee! 07-24-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Good luck with the knee Steve - Biking has been my favorite thing since my WLS - I was up to about 16 miles 5 to 6 times a week

However I'm getting this installed next week. Now that I have the motivation to exersize all the old injurys are coming back to haunt me:eek1

Not so fat, dumb and happy:freaky

It'll be on for 6 to 9 months - no biking, motorized or not

http://boxermoose.smugmug.com/Other/...22_D5kWw-L.jpg

Nice 'man bag.'

:razor

:D

M

edited to add: :205 d but WTF! I thought it was funny!

Gummee! 07-24-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

European medical bag:rofl

All the cool docs are carrying them now

BTW - this Doc looks exactly like a younger Spagthorpe:eek1

fixt

M

Gummee! 07-24-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverino
Cool, I need to get a stand so I can work on mine when it needs it. Used to run a bike shop years ago and still have most of my tools. Problem is most don't fit the new bike.

Enjoy the ride.

Mine's the one nicer one of the ones PBS sells. Works OK. Only thing I wish it had was a way to get the clamp shut quickly vs twisting the dial. Not a deal-breaker, but the Ultimates (whatever they're called now) are nicer.

I'm betting the only thing yer gonna need that's truly different are the little torx wrenches for the discs. The rest should be 4, 5, and 6mm. Oh, and 8mm for the cranks in lots of cases.

I keep my old HS wrenches, etc. around cause I'm always messing with either older bikes that I'm riding, or friend's stuff, but overall, the HS tools and the BB tools are a thing of the past. Nowadays its getting so most of the BBs are press fit.

G'luck

M

TheNedster 07-24-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Is your camera broken?

PC is on the fritz and the laptop doesn't speak Memory Stick. In other words, sorry for the craptastic cellphone pics.

Before
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...m/SSPX0124.jpg

After
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...m/SSPX0126.jpg

Gummee! 07-24-2010 08:21 PM

Was gonna go for a ride this AM when I remembered today was the hash luau. So I swapped the D/A seatpost for an older Syncros I had laying around.

Gonna go climbing (rock not on the bicycle) tamale. IF I'm feeling OK, I may go for a toodle to check out the positioning.

Its good to be back on 2 wheels even if it DOES have a motor!

M

pierce 07-24-2010 09:55 PM

managed to get in 15 miles of mostly fast sprints on the river levy trails (its 2.5 miles end to end, so a full lap down one side and back on the other is 5 miles, I did 3 of these), and then managed to climb the 0.7 mile +300 ft vertical hill I live on too, without feeling too stressed.

the 38c tom slick tires I put on, pumped up to about 65psi (max 80) let me ride a good gear faster than the prior oversized 40c 'city' tires. all the sudden that 50 tooth front ring is looking like a good idea after all (I'd been thinking of droppnig it to a 46T or so), although the 50 to 34 front shift is rather large.

when I got home, I finally went ahead and swapped in the new shimano sealed BB to my new frame, and stuck the loose bearing cheap BB that was in it in the other red mini-cruiser thing I built

I'm gonna have a couple extra bikes, gotta decide what to sell and what to keep. as of right now, we have
  1. 1975 Motobecane Grand Record - beat up but still running. overdue for bearing service
  2. mid 70s noname cruiser w/ 7 speed conversion - needs new brakes, hand grips
  3. 1983 Stumpjumper Sport - heavy old tank, keeps on trucking
  4. ???? Trek 420 hybrid conversion, my daughters skinny tire thing
  5. 1997 Specialized Crossroad rebuild-in-progress
  6. 1998 Diamondback hybrid rebuild - needs back brake shoes, 1 rear spoke
  7. ???? GT Rebound - kid's old mtn bike, needs new seat
  8. 2001 Stumpjumper FSR Disc - needs me to lose weight
  9. 200? Specialized Comfort bike - wife's new ride.

yeeesh. :photog

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:56 AM.