ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Mercury264 07-22-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off the grid
Greg LeMond, sore pussy and all, described it as "scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe" at the bottom of the stroke.

So that's how I've always pictured it.

Just back from a ride. That really worked for me - I need to work at it some more but I think over time I will make it work better.

Mr Head 07-22-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javarilla
Where'd you find 1700 foot of vertical on the Gilman? Are you cruising the hills of Bothell or something?

I have to toss in Phinney, Queen Anne and Magnolia to score any v's around my place.

Just riding the trail. Start at the bottom and go up. GPS thing you know? That Sportstracker deal on the phone.
I sure as heck felt like it was more than that. I was toast by the time I got back to the landing park. Knee is a little tender even today. The sore throat is my main gripe today though. And tonight I have to do laundry so my riding is out. Maybe I can sneak one in on Friday. Certainly the weekend is going to be two long spinning days in the sun and on the saddle.

I can't believe the cars that stop for you at trail crossings. I'm there at the stop sign on the trail, foot down sitting on the top tube and cars in both directions stop on the street and wave me on.:eek1
In the OC, they'd shift down and accelerate. :wink:
A city bus stopped and waved us through!:huh
Folks up here are very polite and make riding a bicycle a complete pleasure.
Must be the rain. or all the green stuff?

No matter a welcome result. Riding up here is really fun!:clap

Javarilla 07-22-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Yabbut...

yer HUGE! Takes a lot of brake to slow down a metric ton of Javarilla!

:razor

M

Gravity loves me! I can coast downhill on the Fargo with Big Apples and a great big ol PassNStow rack and Freight baggage bag as fast as my buddy on his carbon fiber Trek can peddle. All I need is an air horn. Even Jens would go weak and cower when he feels the heat of the plasma generated by my spinning PhilWoods on the back of his neck.

I loves disc brakes. :raabia

PaleRider 07-22-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

... what, no airbrakes?

... BTW, welcome back you big biking goofball :lol3

Javarilla 07-22-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head
Just riding the trail. Start at the bottom and go up. GPS thing you know? That Sportstracker deal on the phone.
I sure as heck felt like it was more than that. I was toast by the time I got back to the landing park. Knee is a little tender even today. The sore throat is my main gripe today though. And tonight I have to do laundry so my riding is out. Maybe I can sneak one in on Friday. Certainly the weekend is going to be two long spinning days in the sun and on the saddle.

I can't believe the cars that stop for you at trail crossings. I'm there at the stop sign on the trail, foot down sitting on the top tube and cars in both directions stop on the street and wave me on.:eek1
In the OC, they'd shift down and accelerate. :wink:
A city bus stopped and waved us through!:huh
Folks up here are very polite and make riding a bicycle a complete pleasure.
Must be the rain. or all the green stuff?

No matter a welcome result. Riding up here is really fun!:clap

Yup. We trained people right from the get-go.

Welcome to NorthWet cycling.

Hope you got fenders. :lol3

rbrsddn 07-22-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
Just back from a ride. That really worked for me - I need to work at it some more but I think over time I will make it work better.

I have to conciously think about it, but when I'm on a long ride, I do it a lot, as other muscles share the work. Another term for it is "Spinning Circles"

Javarilla 07-22-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleRider
... what, no airbrakes?

... BTW, welcome back you big biking goofball :lol3

I just sit up and open my triple XL rain jacket!

Man, you should see my next new bike. Another custom. This thing is gonna be the freakin' awesomest long-distance commuter/randonneur thing on two wheels. Rohloff, disks, internal cabling, eccentric, custom generator wire harness routing, custom lugs.... Suhweet, cute lil' innocent baby jesus, this bike will rock.

Mr Head 07-22-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Yup. We trained people right from the get-go.

Welcome to NorthWet cycling.

Hope you got fenders. :lol3

I don't need fenders, I have hotel towels.:lol3

One thing I noticed on the Gilman, great training for crits. All those slow down accelerate spots. reminded my aging legs of a time long, long ago in a place far away. :evil

Javarilla 07-22-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

I don't need fenders, I have hotel towels.:lol3

One thing I noticed on the Gilman, great training for crits. All those slow down accelerate spots. reminded my aging legs of a time long, long ago in a place far away. :evil

Crits, eh... I ain't no bicycle dude. I just ride. You talking about rabbits, squirrels and stroller monkeys?

PaleRider 07-22-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Man, you should see my next new bike. Another custom. This thing is gonna be the freakin' awesomest long-distance commuter/randonneur thing on two wheels. Rohloff, disks, internal cabling, eccentric, custom generator wire harness routing, custom lugs.... Suhweet, cute lil' innocent baby jesus, this bike will rock.

... I've said it before, you are the Grand Poobah of the PacNW bicycle set :lol3 :thumb ... u've gotz sum grate rigz :nod

... that thing will have some nice hardware on it fo'sho'

Mr Head 07-22-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Crits, eh... I ain't no bicycle dude. I just ride. You talking about rabbits, squirrels and stroller monkeys?

Criterium as they play on evenings around town squares and parks.

I once was a racer, but mostly an official mounted on a motorcycle riding around in front of the frenzy.

A shot of a much younger, and smaller me marshalling at the old COors Classic:
http://mr-head.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...64_PZg2w-L.jpg

I used to be able to push my body up hills further and faster than quite a few of my riding partners,
http://mr-head.smugmug.com/Cycling/S...56PaA-XL-1.jpg

Not so much anymore. Damn gravity...:lol3

PaleRider 07-22-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

... A shot of a much younger, and smaller me marshalling at the old Coors Classic ...

... cool pix, both :thumb ... nice going Mr. Head ... I went down and watched a Red Zinger Bicycle Classic criterium at Washington Park one year as well as the Morgul-Bismark loop. I still ride McCaslin Blvd. Good stuff. :thumb

Dahveed 07-22-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Gravity loves me! I can coast downhill on the Fargo with Big Apples and a great big ol PassNStow rack and Freight baggage bag as fast as my buddy on his carbon fiber Trek can peddle. All I need is an air horn. Even Jens would go weak and cower when he feels the heat of the plasma generated by my spinning PhilWoods on the back of his neck.

:lol3 Best post here! I suspect that gravity only loves you 1 way (down). I'm right there with you.

Gummee! 07-22-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Not so much anymore. Damn gravity...:lol3

Gravity must've changed over the years for me too. I can't go NEARLY as fast up a hill as I useta. Then again, I've never been a climber. :nono

S'why I started racing here:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...plwGg7clf8KuA=

NO HILLS! EVER!

M

Mr Head 07-22-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleRider
... cool pix, both :thumb ... nice going Mr. Head ... I went down and watched a Red Zinger Bicycle Classic criterium at Washington Park one year as well as the Morgul-Bismark loop. I still ride McCaslin Blvd. Good stuff. :thumb

I lived south of Morrison along C470, (though that wasn't there at first), and would ride to Morgul and do a few laps, then back home. When I was in engineering school I'd ride down to UCD, on light days with only one or two classes, then ride up Lookout up to Evergreen then down Bear Creek Canyon and over to home. It was almost exactly 100 miles from my house up Bear Creek to Mount Evans and back.
The climbing pic was taken behind the hogback in the custom home area.
I loved the "wall" and used to abuse some folks on it.
One time our team was out training out there, and as I got to the base of the "feed hill" I took off and was away alone for five laps. I stopped finally atop the Wall and sat on the armco waiting thinking they might have had a problem or something. No problem they had just taken a while to get organized and by then I was well away. They had been chasing hard wondering where I was. I 'd been cruising.:lol3

Fun times.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:18 AM.