ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Dranrab Luap 07-25-2010 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster
PC is on the fritz and the laptop doesn't speak Memory Stick. In other words, sorry for the craptastic cellphone pics.

Before
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...m/SSPX0124.jpg

After
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...m/SSPX0126.jpg

That's a sweet looking ride.

ducnut 07-25-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverino
My poser bike. Disc brakes, 29er, running 700x28c tires. Riding it about 120 miles a week right now. :thumb

Nothing poser about it. It's way cool. Good job on the mileage, too!

Quote:

There's a few ways to skin this cat.

#1 keep it original and go with a Cinelli stem and your old bars
#2 is go with a different bar/stem of 'modern' size still quill
#3 is get an adaptor and put a threadless stem on with a new bar

Of the 3, I'd go with the new quill stem and 'modern' dia bars. Makes it easier to go to any shop and get stuff.
That's what I'm doing with my BSA; modern stuff.

Raleigh Industries used their own thread pitch of 26TPI, while everything else is 24TPI. Being from an obsolete era, there's nothing NOS available for this thing. Once my eBay fork gets here from Canada, I'll get to work on acquiring more parts. I want to tackle one thing at a time, to make sure that each step is a success. No sense ordering a bunch of stuff only to find out this project ain't gonna' work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Not a deal-breaker, but the Ultimates (whatever they're called now) are nicer.

I have an Ultimate. It's really nice, except the clamp, that holds the upright at height, broke. I had my tri bike secured and was sitting on my stool beside it. All of sudden, the bike dropped. Scared the bejeezus out of me. I just put a hose clamp around it, for now. I'm hoping Ultimate will warranty the clamp. Otherwise, it's been perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster

That's a really nice ride!

Steverino 07-25-2010 07:17 AM

That Jamis does look good!

51 miles this AM. 3:46 minutes, avgsp 13.4. It was hot too. Started at 6:00 to beat the heat. 95 degrees when I finished.

Dranrab Luap 07-25-2010 07:50 AM

Quote:

51 miles this AM. 3:46 minutes, avgsp 13.4. It was hot too. Started at 6:00 to beat the heat. 95 degrees when I finished.

That's truly amazing Steve. I am fairly certain my ass couldn't handle that much saddle time right now.

Steverino 07-25-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
That's truly amazing Steve. I am fairly certain my ass couldn't handle that much saddle time right now.

I think Alejo called it. Off to do some saddle shopping today. :deal

Dranrab Luap 07-25-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

I think Alejo called it. Off to do some saddle shopping today. :deal

I am especially sensitive in the sit bone area. By far the best saddles I have used are the Specialized Body Geometry Sonoma saddles. I have actually bruised my ass from overly firm saddles. Most bike tourers prefer Brooks solid leather saddles...after they are broken in.

kobudo28 07-25-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

That's a good ride in some tough heat conditions!

I went out about 7:30 and cranked out 20 avgd 16~17 on the old rail trail, 78 with about 60% humidity, pretty sticky. I'm trying to rehab my knees and get stronger so I am sticking to stuff without too much grade right now. I'm afraid my serious rides are over for now.

I have a aluminum Jamis Eureka with an Ultegra road triple, Rolf Dolomite 20 spoke tubeless rims, full XT group....it rolls pretty good, good enough for me.

Steverino 07-25-2010 08:02 AM

Way to go Hookookudodadoorunrun! :thumb

My riding is for knee rehab too as well as weight loss. Keep riding!

kobudo28 07-25-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Way to go Hookookudodadoorunrun! :thumb

My riding is for knee rehab too as well as weight loss. Keep riding!

I was a pretty serious roadie at one point, hitting about 150 miles a week, cranked out several centuries, some TT's, etc. Had a great Serrotta but my back had other plans so I picked up the Jamis. Right now I am trying to get 2~3 rides in a week if I can. I'm really happy to be riding again. It feels great to be back on a bike!

I'm not diggin this aging thing at all though! :ddog

Hope your rehab goes well.

Dranrab Luap 07-25-2010 08:14 AM

I have been seriously considering doing a custom build lately. I am not mechanically inclined at all, but for some reason or another I do OK with bikes (could be that they are mechanically simple) and as a consequence I like tinkering.

I want to start with a fairly relaxed disc ready Cross Country hardtail frame with rack mounts built around an 80 or 100 mm travel fork. I want to put a solid chromoly rigid disc ready fork with rack lugs on it. I want to run 29 rims and 700x32 slicks or CX tires on it. I want twist shifters and mechanical disc brakes with trekking type handlebars.

The fork, wheels, spokes, cranks and all components would be solid black. I like this frame for $199.

http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphic...N-F09KU14B.jpg

kobudo28 07-25-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

I have been seriously considering doing a custom build lately. I am not mechanically inclined at all, but for some reason or another I do OK with bikes (could be that they are mechanically simple) and as a consequence I like tinkering.

I want to start with a fairly relaxed disc ready Cross Country hardtail frame with rack mounts built around an 80 or 100 mm travel fork. I want to put a solid chromoly rigid disc ready fork with rack lugs on it. I want to run 29 rims and 700x32 slicks or CX tires on it. I want twist shifters and mechanical disc brakes with trekking type handlebars.

The fork, wheels, spokes, cranks and all components would be solid black. I like this frame for $199.

Sounds like a good build project to me. :thumb

I like the blacked out look too. My frame is bright yellow and everything on the bike is black with the exception of the crank set because it is an Ultegra road triple.

Askel 07-25-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

I want to run 29 rims and 700x32 slicks or CX tires on it....

...I like this frame for $199.

I think the Kula is for 26" wheels.

I've got an aluminum Kona 29er frame. Interesting ride. Makes for a good singletrack machine. 700x32s would be completely out of place on that bike though.

Dranrab Luap 07-25-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
I think the Kula is for 26" wheels.

I've got an aluminum Kona 29er frame. Interesting ride. Makes for a good singletrack machine. 700x32s would be completely out of place on that bike though.

I have an urban bike now. It has 700CC wheels and 32MM tires on it. I took them off and put them on my MTB. They fit perfectly and look good as they nearly fill up the "wheel well" area. 700 and 29er tires fit the same rim size.

I guess that begs the question of why I don't just use 700cc wheel to begin with. Most built 700cc rims don't have discs and have narrower road bike hub spacing, which is also one of the reasons I'm going with an MTB frame.

Another part of it is that I just want to have something unique.

Bimble 07-25-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Awesome job. I got 49 done yesterday in about the same time then continued to 63 miles.

It is interesting and inspiring to watch you recover. It is like you hit a certain spot then blammo you take off like a rocket!

trailer Rails 07-25-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

I have an urban bike now. It has 700CC wheels and 32MM tires on it. I took them off and put them on my MTB. They fit perfectly and look good as they nearly fill up the "wheel well" area. 700 and 29er tires fit the same rim size.

I guess that begs the question of why I don't just use 700cc wheel to begin with. Most built 700cc rims don't have discs and have narrower road bike hub spacing, which is also one of the reasons I'm going with an MTB frame.

Another part of it is that I just want to have something unique.

Sounds like a cool build except for the twist shifters (I am not a fan). You might have a hard time fitting fenders and a rack with a frame that has the disc mount on the seatstays.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:40 PM.